Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I have an 08 Stratoliner with 34000 miles. The bike just recently started to run bad. It would start and run great initially while cold but after its warmed up and I try to start it, it doesnt want to start, it takes 2 or 3 tries before it does. When it starts and as Im riding it, it runs horrible. Backfiring, poor acceleration, bad idling. Please, what can this problem be? I replaced the air filter, tried using fuel additives, but to no avail. SO I was thinkg it might be the ECU. I unplugged it, looked at it and and smelled the connection port and it has that burnt smell. Could this be my problem?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,636 Posts

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
It very difficult to debug an intermittent problem.

I you think it might be the ECM, the logical thing would be to get another one, new or used, and see if the problem stops.

I dont think the ECM warms up very much when the bike is running... maybe.. depending on where it is on the bike. If the problem only happens when the bike is warmed up, then maybe you could either heat up the ECM with a heat gun and see if it runs rough right when you start it

or maybe somehow wrap it with an ice pack to keep it cool, or find a way to heat shield it with aluminum foil... ?

If there is a burnt smell by the connector look at the pins carefully and see if any look overheated, corroded or burnt. It could be as simple as a bad connection on one of the pins, because all the pins on the ECM are necessary for the bike to function 100%. Sometimes unplugging a connector and plugging it back in several times is enough to wipe the pins off and clear away corrosion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts