Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the unthinkable happened to my 07 Startoliner today the lid blew off on the right side anybody else had this happen?Has anyone put Leather bags on theres?Any help much appreciated of course it got run over before I could get it out of the road

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Blew your lid

Tat,

Sorry you had the problem. Twice I have had cars blow their horn at me to warn me one of my bag lids were up. So don't feel bad. I was lucky I was traveling at low speeds. If you do not get them latched apparently they blow open.

One way out might be to just watch E Bay. I have seen one bag on there from time to time. Apparently some one dropped a bike and replaced both bags. Don't see any there now. Maybe someone here has replaced their bags and will sell the old one.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave
That was my first idea looking on ebay LOL.Its the right bag if your sitting on it my thinking is maybe buy a new hinge and lock set and use my old beat up one till I can find a replacement.Me personally just like the hard bags its just part of the sculpted look that makes them so awesome ride safe

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think the Vstar 950 or 1300 bags are the same??????

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
sorry to hear about the lid comming off.

I've been locking mine all the time. Not sure I'm preventing this from happening to me but I sure do hope so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
'06 Stratoliner recall for bag locks

I had manufacturer's recall notice for the bag locks on my '06 Stratoliner. The original locks would lock the lid closed even when you didn't lock it with the key.

The locks were replaced under warranty and a few months later, one of them "self locked" again. Yamaha's fix wasn't worth squat. I use a bungee cord to hold the lid down. It looks like crap, but that's what Yamaha sells us.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
ya, that must look like crap. I bet you could somehow get a bungee cord inside the bag, anchored to the bottom and hook it onto the underside of the lid. Might be tricky hooking it to the lid in the almost closed position (open enough to just get your hand inside).

·
Registered
75 Posts
2nd Set of Bag Locks

I am now waiting for my 2nd set of bag locks on my 2006 Strat S. As you all have found, my locks also failed to open with or without a key. Yamaha replaced them originally under warranty, no questions. They will again replace them but now they are telling me it is a one-time good faith repair. I still have 2 months left on my Extended warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ya, that must look like crap. I bet you could somehow get a bungee cord inside the bag, anchored to the bottom and hook it onto the underside of the lid.
I don't know about how you would rig a bungee cord inside the saddle bag. Until someone figures it out, I'll ride with the broken warranty replacement lock and outside bungee cord.

It looks like crap which is exactly what the Yamaha engineers specified for their saddle bag lock design on the '06 Stratoliner. I will leave the bungee cord on the lid as a visual testament to the Yamaha design. :mad:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know about how you would rig a bungee cord inside the saddle bag. Until someone figures it out, I'll ride with the broken warranty replacement lock and outside bungee cord.

It looks like crap which is exactly what the Yamaha engineers specified for their saddle bag lock design on the '06 Stratoliner. I will leave the bungee cord on the lid as a visual testament to the Yamaha design. :mad:
You got another problem. Is that a wrinkle I see on the leather covering your saddle bag?

Its a little easier for me to secure the bag, thanks to the Trim Rails:

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
You got another problem. Is that a wrinkle I see on the leather covering your saddle bag?
The bungee cord, when under tension, causes the leather to wrinkle. The wrinkle goes away when I remove the bungee cord. But then the lid flies open like the OP mentioned. :(

As "08roadliner" observed, if you don't already own the Stratoliner saddlebags, you might want to steer clear of them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wouldn't say the Yamaha bags are junk. They do require that you check for secure closure before you ride but that is no different than any other bagger of any brand. I've had them for 4 years now and would argue you'll not find another mounting system that will handle repeated triple digit speeds and remain securely in place as the liner bags. The safety to have rigid supports that can be loaded right up and to not have any movement around the swing arm, rear rotor/caliper, or drive belt pulley cannot be stressed enough when choosing bags. The bag design also remains dry inside if ever caught out riding in the rain. Yes, the lids may become dislodged if the lock wears, but it's something that can be replaced with availability through Yamaha, and I'm still on the original lock set. I also was not certain about how the leather covering would hold up but with proper leather conditioner and use of the mink oil provided water beads right off. Some people are harder on their equipment than others but I'd definitely buy the bags again as they hold to the lines of the bike and perform well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Stratoliner bags

The bag design also remains dry inside if ever caught out riding in the rain.
I don't know what saddle bags you've got, but the stock bags on my '06 Stratoliner leak in the rain. The rain water collects in the push button lock recess and leaks down through the lock into the bag. That's just when it's parked. When riding in the rain, they leak through the edge of the lid since there is no gasket to provide a watertight seal. I get water in the bags when I wash the bike (and that's just garden hose pressure - no power washer).

Also, the lids are flexible enough that they can be bent enough to get your hand up into the bag with the lid locked. Maybe not if you have a XL hand size, but the average M size hand.

Go down to your local Harley Davidson dealer and check out their saddle bag design. Much more robust and watertight. Unfortunately the Harley saddle bags don't follow the lines of the Stratoliner, or I would swap them out.

And with respect to the Stratoliner saddle bag locks, even with the warranty replacement, one of the friggin' locks jammed. I'm not going through that aggravation again. I don't think the Yamaha dealer would do another warranty lock replacement. Besides that happened 4 years ago, so it is long out of warranty now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put Velcro on the front of the bags and that helps keep the lids from flying open. You can't tell by looking at the bags that I have Velcro on them. It was my wife's idea. We have also purchased new latches via Ebay.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
The man had this problem all the time with his bags on his Ultra classic Harley - they came open all the time. So it's not just a yamaha problem. They were however, quite dry even in heavy rain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts