Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Stratoliner bags and sissy bar, my Roadliner is a Stratoliner without a shield.

I want a shield, and while I could get an aftermarket one a LOT cheaper, I'd kind of like to keep the "Stratoliner" theme going.

While I look for a good deal to pounce on, though, I've got a question about shields and fuel economy.

I know (or at least THINK I know) that a racing fairing can increase fuel mileage by reducing wind resistance. But the Stratoliner is more of a snowplough than a feat of aerodynamic wizardry.

Has anyone added a stock Strato shield (or heck, just a similar shield) to a Roadliner? What happened to your mileage?

For the record, while the Strato shield doesn't look very aerodynamic, it turns out that my big carcass isn't particularly aerodynamic either.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Windshields on sport bikes are just extensions of the front fairings and do improve aerodynamics because the rider can tuck down behind it, rider's posture on a cruiser, not so much. I've never compared gas milage of with the windshied against without. I doubt there is any appreciable amount of difference. Without the windshield, the wind is plowed by me, with the windshield, IT deals with it more than I do.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the Roadliner, and seem to get just as crappy mileage with or without the windshield. I only put it on for trips that take me at least 200 miles round trip or more. I don't like how the windshield looks on my bike. I'm thinking about cutting it down about 4-5" maybe little more, but don't really want to risk cracking such an expensive piece of plastic. I guess I should find out if anyone has the short shield and wants the medium instead....

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I have the Roadliner, and seem to get just as crappy mileage with or without the windshield. I only put it on for trips that take me at least 200 miles round trip or more. I don't like how the windshield looks on my bike. I'm thinking about cutting it down about 4-5" maybe little more, but don't really want to risk cracking such an expensive piece of plastic. I guess I should find out if anyone has the short shield and wants the medium instead....
You can cut it yourself, it was easy! Do a search on here, I posted the "How To" on here.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Whats your driving style now... I know when driving easy, like 50-55ish depending on how many stops 46 or better MPG. When in the twist throttle all the time... can drop down to 36-40 depending on the twist demon, Had windshield first then got the Reckless fairing and it all feels the same just how much your wrist twists the throttle.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well nobody drives 55 here so I gotta keep up on the freeway about 80 and the highest I ever got doing about 65-70 was about 40mpg but I've gotten 29mpg at a consistent 80-85mph which sucks...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I read that. I'll probably have to do that after this school semester is over. I'm 6 feet tall and the top of the shield is directly in my line of sight, and the gauges reflect on the shield as well, I'll probably go 5-6" depending where it feels right. I don't have that kind of saw though, so I'll have to borrow one from someone or buy one I guess. Good thing a harbor freight just opened closer than the other ones are!

·
Registered
81 Posts
As far as mileage goes, I do alot of interstate riding to work and my roadliner seems to get slightly better mileage with the star medium windshield than naked. Plus I don't have to worry about bugs and rocks as much.

·
Registered
90 Posts
On todays group ride of 157 miles my fuel light didn't come on. All backroads with a couple of stops and quite a bit of shifting due to turns with speeds from 25 to 60 mph. Filled up with 3.42 gallons which comes out to 45.9 mpg.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We rode to Borrego Springs by way of Wildcat, Old Julian, Santa Ysabel and Ranchita. Came back home the long way thru Yaqui Pass, Banner Grade, Lake Cuyamaca (few inches of snow on the ground still from Friday and Saturday), Japatul then Alpine. You should have came with us. Much more fun than errands!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well that definitely sounds like more fun that stuffing saddlebags full of groceries in the Ralphs parking lot haha! I'll actually have some free time soon. This semester ends in a month and I'll just have one more semester before I graduate from SDSU.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts