Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you know the cameras that some cities have at intersections to catch people making traffic violations and then mails them a ticket? and how there are been several lawsuits against cities or the companies that make them? and how a lot of people hate them in general? i want MORE OF THEM.

i don't care if it's a 'moneymaker' for the city or not. you can say the same thing about any cop that issues a ticket to any driver for a moving violation. i can't STAND people who run red lights at intersections. i think these are some of the worst people on the planet. we should sterilize them. maybe it's just especially bad here in Austin. but there are countless intersections near residential neighborhoods in heavy traffic where people ALWAYS run the red light. i mean every. single. light. change. i'm not trying to stand up on a soapbox and say "i never" because i have on rare occasions. and every once in a while you can misjudge a yellow. but unless it's a life and death situation, there's really no excuse. it's just inconsiderate and unsafe and boils my blood every time i see it.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
It's not just an Austin thing, Houston is really bad also. I've reached the point I don't want to be the first vehicle at a light as I have a fear of a red light runner hitting me as I take off. Normally the red light runners actually speed up to beat the light and not paying attention to side traffic. At least that's my experience. I'm with you Bevo, more cameras.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
the city of Rochester had them for a few years
there were legal issues and they took them all down

in the suburbs around Rochester the lights are set if there are no cars coming from any direction all the lights turn red
when it detects a car approaching the light turns green in that direction
if you drive early in the morning, from 4am to 6, sometimes you can drive all the way around the city and never catch a red light, because there are no other cars to trip them on the side streets

when there is normal traffic it ends up parsing the time 30 seconds one way, 30 seconds the other

and of course (you know whats coming) my VS650 does not trip most of them
So I have to stop for every light, and if there are no cars behind me it just stays red
so I must stop and then run the red lights, or just sit there till another car happens along on my street

during the day if Im on a quiet residential street and catch a red light, its maybe 50/50 whether my bike will trip it...

what were you saying again? :^) its a whole different situation here.

intersections are still the weak link in the US for traffic accidents: 110 people die every day
and that number has been pretty constant for the last 50 years.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got no problem with that. i'm talking about when there is traffic stopped at every direction and when the light changes from green, to yellow, then red, and one or 2 cars always squeeze through right after it's red because they just don't want to have to wait another minute or 2 for their turn again to go through.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have the red light Cameras here in Winnipeg, but they also have mobile camera vehicles that move around to different locations through out the day and setup to catch speeders, There mostly used around school yards and parks. I'm all for them doing more enforcement. I'm not a speed demon so when people say it's a cash grab, I just tell them don't speed and run reds and you won't have to pay. and remember "Loud Pipes Save lives"

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Reading this I realize that we used to have cameras and I haven't seen a sign in a while I will have to research to see what happened.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
^ can we get a $50/month free pass? Maybe tie it to our EZpass?

Im pretty good about not running a red light on my motorcycle (except for the situations in my previous post), but I will confess to creeping thru stop signs at about 1mph. Im slowed down to 1mph for 3 to 5 seconds, I can see both ways that nothing is coming and there are no bicycles or pedestrians, but I dont always come to a full stop and put both feet down.

Im keeping the intent of the stop signs, yielding and not causing any possible traffic conflict or risk of an accident, but I consider being able to ride at 1mph without doing the albatross landing and takeoff to be a learned riding skill, and unless there is traffic approaching there is no added safety to stopping and putting my feet down, and counting to three.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I live near the city of Marysville CA. According to a website Marysville was ranked the worst red-light camera city in the nation, it has since removed all red-light cameras. They installed the cameras as a source of revenue as they did not have enough money to run the city, they actually did not have enough money to turn on the street lights.

The yellow lights were set shorter to catch more drivers. I drove a semi-truck and trailer through the town in the early AM hours and my cab would get through the intersection but my trailer would always set off the camera. My company was never sent a ticket. Many people avoided the town or started taking different routes through the town.

After seeing many nuanced abuses of red-light cameras, I’m not a fan.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
the city of Rochester had them for a few years
there were legal issues and they took them all down

in the suburbs around Rochester the lights are set if there are no cars coming from any direction all the lights turn red
when it detects a car approaching the light turns green in that direction
if you drive early in the morning, from 4am to 6, sometimes you can drive all the way around the city and never catch a red light, because there are no other cars to trip them on the side streets

when there is normal traffic it ends up parsing the time 30 seconds one way, 30 seconds the other

and of course (you know whats coming) my VS650 does not trip most of them
So I have to stop for every light, and if there are no cars behind me it just stays red
so I must stop and then run the red lights, or just sit there till another car happens along on my street

during the day if Im on a quiet residential street and catch a red light, its maybe 50/50 whether my bike will trip it...

what were you saying again? :^) its a whole different situation here.

intersections are still the weak link in the US for traffic accidents: 110 people die every day
and that number has been pretty constant for the last 50 years.
Hey @KCW , my big bike is able to be read by the light sensors but I’ve encounteted the same thing when I rode a smaller bike.
For those who sit there with no traffic and the light doesn’t change for you, this is an option that will cure that.
https://www.ebay.com/i/332153452418?chn=ps&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-117182-37290-0%2F2%3Fmpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fi%252F332153452418%253Fchn%253Dps%26itemid%3D332153452418%26targetid%3D484681436051%26device%3Dm%26adtype%3Dpla%26googleloc%3D1015254%26poi%3D%26campaignid%3D1497324383%26adgroupid%3D60383707880%26rlsatarget%3Dpla-484681436051%26abcId%3D1139456%26merchantid%3D6296724%26gclid%3DCjwKCAjwm-fkBRBBEiwA966fZD_H72HHM098SJTbDTjg1OXPPz0VVS8BTFKhRqNp0i6pYehUofaNshoClZcQAvD_BwE%26srcrot%3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1910847606669%26rvr_ts%3Db9dae89d1690a99204d011a0fffea68f

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
^ can we get a $50/month free pass? Maybe tie it to our EZpass?

Im pretty good about not running a red light on my motorcycle (except for the situations in my previous post), but I will confess to creeping thru stop signs at about 1mph. Im slowed down to 1mph for 3 to 5 seconds, I can see both ways that nothing is coming and there are no bicycles or pedestrians, but I dont always come to a full stop and put both feet down.

Im keeping the intent of the stop signs, yielding and not causing any possible traffic conflict or risk of an accident, but I consider being able to ride at 1mph without doing the albatross landing and takeoff to be a learned riding skill, and unless there is traffic approaching there is no added safety to stopping and putting my feet down, and counting to three.
I’ve been able even on my big bike to come to a complete stop.. stay there balanced for a couple seconds and then take off without ever having put my feet down. It a learned skill, but it works for me.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Im not sure how the active lights are triggered where I live

there are inductive loops in the pavement right up by the stop line, but the lights that turn red all 4 ways and then turn green as you approach somehow detect your car before you get to the stop line. I would guess 5 or 8 car lengths from the stop line the light turns green, so you dont have to slow down because the light is red.

I know there are all kinds of magnets and tranmitters you can put on a bike to trip the lights that are for sale. I dont know if any of them actually work - would have to take it out early in the morning as a pedestrian and see if the light flips.

Stopping without putting your feet down is a skill - in fact its a sport: Trials riding thru the woods - if you put your feet down, you lose points.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts