Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has this happened to anyone else because for one, misery loves company but also where do I begin to repair it?

I was at highway speed on two lane road. Pulled out to pass a big rig, dropped one gear into 4th and as I rolled on the throttle there was nothing there but RPMs. I thought somehow I'd just found neutral but after a second attemp to find a gear I knew something was wrong. No loud bang or jolt from the drivetrain when it happened just there one second and gone the next. Here's a pic of what I have to look forward too. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ImageUploadedByMO Free1439001631.316635.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sad to say that you are in for some expensive repairs. Once the nut comes loose and the bike is operated that way for a period of time the counter shaft becomes damaged permanently. The splines are worn and further movement and wear is inevitable. That is the worst damage I have witnessed. Keep us posted on your progress. Augie

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bad news is that it's going to take a complete tear down to fix the issue. The good news is that I found my extended warrantee paperwork and it expires in less than a month so all is covered with a $0.00 deductible. HAPPY DANCE!!! I will also have the opportunity to inspect all the transmission gears and have the opportunity to replace the dreaded 3rd gear if it has any wear. That I'll probably have to pay for but when opportunity knocks...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts