Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, 2008 1700 runs great for about 2-4 minutes and then begins to stutter & cough. If you turn it off/on & restart it, even while rolling, it runs fine for another couple of minutes. It starts having trouble more quickly if you flog it under WOT. I thought it might be fuel delivery trouble, but my mechanic thinks it's electrical after he rode it. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Your mechanic that road the bike will know better than us trying to access what the bike is doing. That being said with the bike being fuel injected and does run "great for a few minutes " sounds as injectors are working. Could be a fuel filter issue not letting much fuel flow. But since it runs a bit and shuts down could be the coils giving up. Only way to tell is to test coil resistance. Testing is free. Keep us informed on findings.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-test-a-spark-plug-ignition-coil-by-eduardo-ruelas

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
The problem you are looking at is the failure is intermittent. You have to test the components when the bike is not running right, otherwise everything will test out good.

Sometimes you have to replace components and sensors one by one till the intermittent problem goes away.

I had an early fuel injected car that would just quit while driving. 5 minutes later it would start up and run for the next three days, then do it again. Thats what I ended up doing, swapping the sensors one by one from a donor car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I found the problem. I disassembled the fuel pump and found the inlet strainer/screen looking like this. I think the initial spin-up of the pump would get enough fuel in the line to run the bike for a little bit, but then it couldn't draw enough to keep running smoothly. I'll know for sure after the replacement gets here later this week.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Good you found it. That's pretty dirty for normal wear and tear. How does the inside of tank look? Now would be the time to flush the tank if it needs it, if not you might have the same issue soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts