Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any experience with this Sissy Bar? My wife is wanting to start riding with me and I'm not going to let her until I put one one. I like this one because I bolts in behind the factory chrome trim piece unlike the Cobra brand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-V-Star-XVS-950-vstar-chrome-Back-Rest-Sissy-Bar-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5642c19e5fQQitemZ370487172703QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Also, I'm looking at putting a slip-on exhaust. My buddy has a Cobra that sounds real good. Any other slip-ons to look at?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Cobra slip-on seem to be the the most poplar of them. Most riders like the one's that they have bought regardless who made them. the back rest may last a life time But I'm not going to use one made of aluminum tubing. At all

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lots of models to choose from. I guess, it's whatever suits your fancy.

Definitely you need some sort of backrest for your wife. Then you need to get a more comfortable seat for her if you still have the stock pillion rectangle

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cobra slip-on seem to be the the most poplar of them. Most riders like the one's that they have bought regardless who made them. the back rest may last a life time But I'm not going to use one made of aluminum tubing. At all

Do you think the round tubing will not have enough stability over time and break? Perhaps square tubing has more/enough strength?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I don't know how thick the aluminum tubing is:confused: I can see it braking at the point where it bolts to the up rights.The manufacture say it is made out of Chrome Alloy, then it is solid tubing:confused: I know that it is a description, but it don't give me confidence at all. It maybe well made and last a life time. I wonder what Yamaha's stock tubing back rest is made of?. My rest is 1/2SQ key stock. I would have to see it first hand.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Got the Paladin removable sissy bar so it can be removed when I'm solo. Great investment.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree with the stock sissy bar and pad. One advantage is if you want to add a luggage rack later you know you will be able to get it. With that brand you may not. Plus I prefer chromed solid steel over aluminum.

:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks for the info guys. I'm looking at the Cobra Brand Standard Sissy bar (round). I like the round look, but it's still 3/4" solid steel, chrome plated. They also have saddle bag stays if I upgrade to some bags.

Does anybody have the Cobra brand bar? I'm trying to figure out if it replaces the stock chrome trim, goes over top, or mounts behind it. I called Cobra Engineering, but the guy didn't really know.

I may try drilling the exhaust for now like posted in another thread. I can't spend $500 on the bike this soon, and the wife is wanting a Backrest, so it comes first!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a Cobra sissy bar for my 1300. It doesn't replace the stock chrome stays, it goes between fender and chrome stay.
Cobra has instructions online if you want to see them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info guys. I'm looking at the Cobra Brand Standard Sissy bar (round). I like the round look, but it's still 3/4" solid steel, chrome plated. They also have saddle bag stays if I upgrade to some bags.

Does anybody have the Cobra brand bar? I'm trying to figure out if it replaces the stock chrome trim, goes over top, or mounts behind it. I called Cobra Engineering, but the guy didn't really know.

I may try drilling the exhaust for now like posted in another thread. I can't spend $500 on the bike this soon, and the wife is wanting a Backrest, so it comes first!
Ya gotta keep the wife happy because if the wife ain't happy, nobodys happy.

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with the stock sissy bar and pad. One advantage is if you want to add a luggage rack later you know you will be able to get it...
Totally. Shop for BOTH a sissy bar and a luggage rack, so you know what to get later. It can be very frustrating trying to find a luggage rack that will fit an aftermarket sissy bar, especially after the fact. (Been there, done that.) If your wife is having fun, you will want to be able to strap on a picnic basket.

Cheers
Scott Fraser

1 - 15 of 15 Posts