Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations and suggestions for riding jeans. In the spirit of ATGATT, I figure I should be looking for something with more protection than I get from the usual just casual regular jeans I wear. I'm looking for something comfortable, doesn't scream "motorcycle", and has Kevlar where it's needed.

I'm open to purchasing either online or locally. When looking at online vendors, I see prices anywhere from $70 to $500 - and I don't really know the difference. I do have a Cycle Gear that is only about 15 miles away, but it's not a large shop and I'm not sure they even keep jeans in stock.

I'd like to stay around $100, can stretch that out to $150 or so if necessary. Price is definitely a factor especially since if I do end up finding that I wear them, I'll likely end up with a few pair.

So does anyone have suggestions for what I should look for in jeans? Either features I should look for, or recommendation of a specific product are very welcome. Are any online vendors better than others when it comes to clothing?

For those that do wear protective jeans, I have another question that I feel kind of dumb asking, but here it goes. Are they comfortable enough to wear all day, every day, or should I expect to need to change my pants when I ride?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
How do you like the tourmaster?

I was looking at a lot of jackets this weekend at the bike shops, and noticed the sewing quality of the tourmaster was just all over the place, couldn't hold a line at all.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I have the three layer textile jacket, this is my 5th year riding with it about 100 days a year

I have two pairs of their gloves, and Im on my second pair of their boots (only because I wore a hole in the bottom of my left foot on the first pair).

No issues at all.

If it get their pants they zip into the back of the jacket.

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
Matt, post back after you get them and give your opinion. Maybe others have had the same question about riding jeans but never asked.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have heard really good things about Cycle Gear down in San Diego. Full refund on returns at anytime, no questions asked.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Cyclegear in PA was great for me, totally outfitted my daughter there.
Haven't made it to the maryland one yet, it's in the middle of traffic hell.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard really good things about Cycle Gear down in San Diego. Full refund on returns at anytime, no questions asked.
Do you know if the one in San Diego is any larger than the one in San Marcos? San Marcos is such a small store, only a limited selection.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Matt, post back after you get them and give your opinion. Maybe others have had the same question about riding jeans but never asked.
The ones ordered online via Amazon didn't fit me right. Returning and going to try the local cycle gear stores.

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
That's to bad the didn't fit. Let us know which ones you decide to go with.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wanted to post back here in case anyone finds this in the future and are curious.

I ended up going to the cycle gear retail location in San Diego. Much larger store, and hence larger selection than the one in San Marcos.

Tried on a few pairs of jeans, and ended up with the Scorpion Covert. At $120 they seemed like a good buy. The armor in the knees sit quite a bit low when walking around, but much better placed when riding - although still a bit low. The armor position is adjustable, so I'll play with it and see if I can get it into a better position. The jeans themselves are heavy, but very comfortable. I wore then all day, both riding and just around the house and barely noticed any difference from the usual jeans I wear. For some reason, they only come in one length, and that length is "really fricken long". I'm 6'3" and they are still too long on me without cuffing them a bit, so I'll have them hemmed. I've seen review by others complaining about the button being of poor quality, and while it may not quite be up to the same standards as the rest of the garment, it seems okay to me and I probably wouldn't have noticed if not for having read others reviews. When I take them in to have them hemmed, I'll ask the tailor if he recommends changing out the button and take his advice.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with them. I'll likely purchase another pair, and possibly 2.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wrangler's are pretty good.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk
Hey Biker Dad --- are those "Dad Jeans"?
(and to be honest, my usual go to $20 walmart jeans)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts