Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every new riding season brings out new riders with many questions. One question that doesn't get asked enough is about riding gear. While I like to think I'll never go down, the odds are not with me. So I prepare for the least amount of injuries. The choice of wearing protection gear is a personal one. I make decisions on gear from online reviews and talking to other people. With that said let's help some riders that don't know what works and the benefits. Let's start with summer gloves. Do you wear gloves? What kind? How long have you had them? How are they holding up? Would you recommend? If no, why not? Another factor is where do you live and your riding condition. What works on the freeways in Houston at 100 degree plus temperatures in stop and go traffic might not work as well on back roads in Canada. If you can post pictures so people can see what you are talking about. It's obvious by our monthly mileage challenge we have many here who ride a lot. Some will ride in just a few months than many all year. (yes, ChiefGunner, AsphaltWarrior, Cliffieg, YamahaPat and others, I talking about you). So help others by reviewing what gloves you use. I'm going to start separate threads for different pieces of riding gear so it will be an easy search in the future. So, let's talk about motorcycle summer riding gloves.

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start with my daily go to commuter gloves, Scorpion Cool Hand Mesh Gloves. At $35 they are cost effective. Last me about a year. I'm on my second pair. Sizing is possible a tad small. Some gloves I wear a small but these a medium is just right. They are stated to be European cut so that would explain the sizing. Remember I ride on an average or 300+ days a year with about 200+ days using these. The bigger weave on back of hand really let air blow it. I wear full finger gloves as freeways here are concrete and there is always a sandy grit being kicked up from cars and it feels like sandpaper hitting fingers. I like the velcro wrist with its adjustability. Palm has second layer of material that help with hands not going numb due to vibration. I've tried other mesh gloves and dislike the way mesh will pick loose and start to look funky. These will pick some but not as quickly or bad as others. They come in many colors, I choose black, shows dirt less. They do not have any armour in them that might turn some people off, but in 100+ days the armour gloves proved to be too hot for my hours plus, stop and go traffic commute home. I do recommend.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I run the same gloves here in florida. I'll switch to full leather gloves when it's alittle bit chilly out.
The only thing I hate about these gloves is it's mesh gets stuck on the velcro strap and the strap will tear it apart unless your really careful to get it back off. Not sure there is realy any improvement for that though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

I'll just throw in a reminder here that part of what your gloves are for is sun protection. By that I mean that don't have some with little "windows" where the glove doesn't cover either the back or thumb base area of your hand. These two places will be in the sun all the time and since you probably won't use sunblock on them, they will get badly burned and can destroy your skin cells in that area (think basal cell carcinomas). I pay for that overlook now-a-days.

--

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've used a similar style of textile gloves posted above for most of my riding life. They work well and have lasted me about 3 seasons each for both Yamaha Brand and Alpinestars.

Last year I went with a full leather pair of shorties.

https://fortnine.ca/en/icon-pursuit-ce-gloves?gclid=CjwKCAjw-OHkBRBkEiwAoOZql2G5aSaGx6EOMsIxQxZsSDDOm3TpUrDem9uWU8ST5Gi1Q9QR3pbsMBoCPHwQAvD_BwE#76=6414&493=9

They seem ok so far, but haven't really given them the test in hot weather.

It feels really weird to me to ride without gloves.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My favorite any-time-it-ain’t-cold gloves are the Highway 21 half jab gloves. Perforated goat skin, thick palm padding, fingerless. Just bought pair #2.

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
these Roland Sands Mission gloves are the best looking and comfortable gloves i've ever worn. i originally had a brown/black pair that got eaten by rats. then found out they had been discontinued and NOBODY had any in stock to sell. was lucky to find these in white. don't know why good products get discontinued.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
The gloves I was wearing at my motorcycle course was my machanix gloves and I don't remember them being hot or uncomfortable and they are cheap and easy to find. Would be better than nothing on a tight budget.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I got back into riding in 2017, I started with a pair of Speed and Strength "Hammer Down" gloves. They're really comfortable. The goat leather palms are grippy as anything. Going into their 3rd season, the narrow velcro has lost most of it's 'stickyness' but, adjustable cuffs keep them down. They're not long on protection. No double-layering on the palms, no rigid guards on the tops but, they are way comfortable and cool (ventilated). I keep looking for something as comfortable and 'grippy' with better protection but, have yet to find anything. Seems every time I shop locally, they never seem to have anything that fit and, ordering anywhere online is a crap-shoot - sizing on gloves, I've found, is quite variable. Will be following this thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts