Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every new riding season brings out new riders with many questions. One question that doesn't get asked enough is about riding gear. While I like to think I'll never go down, the odds are not with me. So I prepare for the least amount of injuries. The choice of wearing protection gear is a personal one. I make decisions on gear from online reviews and talking to other people. With that said let's help some riders that don't know what works and the benefits. Let's talk about summer jackets. Do you wear a jacket? What kind? How long have you had them? How are they holding up? Would you recommend? If No, why not? Another factor is where do you live and your riding condition. What works on the freeways in Houston at 100 degree plus temperatures in stop and go traffic might not work as well on back roads in Canada. If you can post pictures so people can see what you are talking about. It's obvious by our monthly mileage challenge we have many here who ride a lot. Some will ride in just a few months than many all year. (yes, ChiefGunner, AsphaltWarrior, Cliffieg, YamahaPat and others, I talking about you). So help others by reviewing what jackets you use. I'm going to start separate threads for different pieces of riding gear so it will be an easy search in the future. So, let's talk about motorcycle summer jackets.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My summer jacket:

Slate Air Jacket - Pilot Motosport

Got it cause I had limited funds. It has worked well, and I have no complaints with it, used it for 2 summers now, going into my third with it. If you throw a wind proof jacket over it (rain jacket?) it will stay toasty warm, way too hot for me driving on the highway in 45f temps.

In the summer, under 90 is fine, over 90 it is hot if your standing still, but when moving it's 100% airflow through it, just watch out how fast you dehydrate (the bad about aircooling)

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rotate between two different jackets. My main one is the Cycle Gear Blaze jacket which they have updated. It's a mesh jacket with solid fabric at all possible impact areas. Comes with CE armour in elbows and shoulders. Has nice satin mesh liner on inside so comfortable against arms. Really moves air well and had held up real well. I've had this jacket for 4 years. This version of the jacket did come with a thin zip in liner which is good on cool mornings. The newer version does not mention liner in description so I'm not sure. Has arm and waist adjustments for better fit. I really like this jacket and recommend.

My other mesh jacket was sold by Jafrum, which apparently is out of business. It was their Detour 8016. It's a pretty good jacket and had lasted 5 years. The liner would stick to my arms when I sweated, didn't like that part. Since no longer available forget this one.

I need to replace the Detour jacket this year. Yeah, I said that last year. But this year for sure. Looking forward to see what others are wearing to hopefully narrow my search.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My summer jacket:

Slate Air Jacket - Pilot Motosport

Got it cause I had limited funds. It has worked well, and I have no complaints with it, used it for 2 summers now, going into my third with it. If you throw a wind proof jacket over it (rain jacket?) it will stay toasty warm, way too hot for me driving on the highway in 45f temps.

In the summer, under 90 is fine, over 90 it is hot if your standing still, but when moving it's 100% airflow through it, just watch out how fast you dehydrate (the bad about aircooling)
That looks like a nice one. What type on lining does it have down the arms that touch the skin? I dislike the linings that stick to you when you sweat.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a cool towel on my commute home. It works really good. Will last about an hour.

·
Registered
447 Posts
That looks like a nice one. What type on lining does it have down the arms that touch the skin? I dislike the linings that stick to you when you sweat.
100% poly. feels nice to me, I haven't stuck to it, but I generally don't sweat in it, unless I'm stuck in traffic, and then I don't notice as once I get moving again I instantly dry off.

Comparing it to a more expensive speed&strength mesh jacket loves radar (was more expensive till it got discontinued) that I got for my daughter, the lining is the exact same, the outside is different though.

Slate Air Pilot Jacket Lining:

Speed & Strength Radar Love Mesh Jacket Lining

·
Registered
39 Posts
On hot days if I'm going long distance, I keep my Joe rocket zipped and buttoned right up around my neck. I don't want perspiration to evaporate by wearing a mesh style jacket. The sweat is what keeps you cool. In extreme heat on long rides, I completely soak my shirt in cool water and put my jacket on over top and button is right up. At stops I dump a couple bottles of water into my jacket front and rear. I stay away from mesh jackets that flow air unless it's a short ride. The airflow will suck the moisture away from you and you will be hotter. Just wrap your wallet and other important stuff in baggies.

·
Registered
447 Posts
That might be true, if it wasn't florida where it's 100% humidity all summer, so it never evaporates. I need it to blow off me. I do ride with a water pack, so I keep myself hydrated if the ride is longer than an hour.
If it was a dry heat, I likely wouldn't run mesh, but don't have dry heat anywhere near here.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On hot days if I'm going long distance, I keep my Joe rocket zipped and buttoned right up around my neck. I don't want perspiration to evaporate by wearing a mesh style jacket. The sweat is what keeps you cool. In extreme heat on long rides, I completely soak my shirt in cool water and put my jacket on over top and button is right up. At stops I dump a couple bottles of water into my jacket front and rear. I stay away from mesh jackets that flow air unless it's a short ride. The airflow will suck the moisture away from you and you will be hotter. Just wrap your wallet and other important stuff in baggies.
I will agree with everything you said. But I'm normally not on the open road. I'm either going to work, business casual, or heading home. About 3 nights a week I'm going to a play, concert of other school event for one of the grandkids, I have eight grandkids. So being too "biker lookling" is not an option. So how I do things night be a little different due to my environment after I ride.

·
Registered
104 Posts
--

My take here is completely different. Sweat does NOT keep you cool. It's the EVAPORATION of liquid (sweat) that transmits the liquid's heat to the air. If you contain the evaporation, you are trying to duplicate the situation they have in the south with high humidity in which the liquid does not evaporate and there is no cooling.

I use a mesh jacket all year if I'm riding in decent weather. I wear a shirt and an air restrictive liner if cool to retard air flow (since usually where I am, it will become warmer by afternoon) or just a tee shirt underneath if it's warm. If I want more cool, I can douse my shirt with water so the circulating air will make it evaporate.

--

1 - 10 of 10 Posts