Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I am new to this site & was needing some help. I have a 07 V Star 1100 custom. On a ride this past weekend I stopped to fill up & the bike would not start back. After pushing to start I rode about 25 miles to the next town & stopped again. The bike was not running right-missing,lights dim, speedo not working. The battery was dead. I put a new battery on & started right up. All seemd fine & rode aprox 70 miles back home with no problem. Once I got home turned bike off it would not start-dead battery. I have went through the checks for stator & rectifier which appear to be good. Both batteries have been load tested-good. I get 14.4 volts with bike running at battery. If i take ground wire off bike starts missing & voltage drops to about 7. I have a new rectifier on the way. Any help would be appreciated very much.

·
Super Moderator
13,112 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
You should never remove a battery cable with the bike running. The output from the bike's charging system is NOT clean power, and it depends on the battery to even it out. The electronics on the bike (ignition system, fuel injection, computers) will not like the power from the charging system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Charon. That helps me alot. I am doing some more testing but dont really know why the battery went dead other than the carb heaters. I will put it back together & ride. Thanks for the info.

David

·
Registered
274 Posts
As you say it sounds like a a charging issue, but what I don't understand is the measurement of 14.4 V at the battery when the bike is running(idling?). That seem to suggest the bike would be charging the battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what confused me also. All checks look to be normal. I tore it down today & cleaned all connections & put do-electric grease on all of them. Put it back together with fresh battery & carb fuse removed. So far so good. I have e new rectifier on the way but not sue if I need it. Also have the charging gauge coming. All seems to be good now. Still not sure what happened.

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I changed the rectifier out this week end--finally came in--all seems good. I did put the Kuryakyn led battery gauge on. I'm not sure the old rectifier was bad but it is running good now. I rode aprox. 100 miles sunday with no problems at all. At least with the gauge you have some warning.
Thanks to all who helped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts