Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stiffened my rear shock, but when I ride with my gf it bottoms out. We are bigger folks. Any ideas on what I should try next?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,531 Posts

·
5,531 Posts
What number is your shock preload set at?

·
5,531 Posts
The higher the number, the stiffer the preload. Also if bike is new to you check to see if stock shock link. It's common to replace with lowering link for a lower stance that will bottom out easier.

Stock linkage

Lowering link.

·
5,531 Posts
Post back after you check it out. Issue with stock shock and coil spring is they wear out and will sag not able to support weight very well. Most people will replace with Progressive Shock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've just read a bunch about gvwr. Seems like pretty much any cruiser would not work for us.

·
5,531 Posts
Here's some comparison on GVWR, Vstar 1100 has GVWR of a full size touring bike.

Vstar 1100: 431 pounds
Harley Electra Glide: 440 pounds.
Goldwing: 412 pounds

Quote for info on gold wing.

The wing has, after its wet weight, about a 412 pound load limit, including fully dressed rider, passenger and luggage. It states that the 'average' male weight is 191 and female weight is 164 for a total 365 pounds, leaving 47 pounds on 'average' for gear and luggage.

·
Super Moderator
6,420 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think les has pretty much covered it for you. Keep us updated and post pics when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
the stereotype of the big biker guy with the 80 lb girlfriend on the passenger seat is not entirely unfounded

once a hefty guy puts bags and 50 lbs of chrome stuff on his cruiser bike, then "sorry babe, manual says you cant ride with me if you weigh more than 78 lbs...."

" you know I love you... but its a safety thing... going to Sturgis next weekend..so.... yeah.. you be good while Im gone..."

(BTW: Funny that a MC website thinks Sturgis is a spelling error, and the proper spelling is Liturgist)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts