Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I will be posting some pics from the project Suzuki GSX110G that my friend is showing me how to get running. My friend Kevin was the guy that brought me on a cross country ride last year. He loves the old Suzukis and rode a GS850 last year when we did our trip. I shared that trip here ----->> 7,185 miles in 15 days

It's been a long project, as my friend started giving me parts back in April of this year. I've been meeting him at the garage and watching, and learning a bit. He had some fresh parts on hand, like carbs, to simply drop in. Yes, apparently he has 7 of these bikes. I'm not sure how many 850's he has, but he collects them. He uses and collects bikes, parts, and keeps 1-2 bikes running at all time. He rides in the winter. He says he's a fair weather rider, and explains, "If there's weather, there's a FAIR chance I'm RIDING in it!"

Here are some photos of the rattle can paint job I've done.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will post pics when we finally get parts on the bike. This was my first bondo job. Think it came out not bad. First time working with a 2k clear coat spray. It looks deep and lush and glossy. Super glad I bought a spray mask.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I had to google a GXS1100G to see what a beast you are rebuilding.

That is a lot of motorcycle. Are you planning on making it a stock refurb, or do you have something else in mind?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had to google a GXS1100G to see what a beast you are rebuilding.

That is a lot of motorcycle. Are you planning on making it a stock refurb, or do you have something else in mind?
Stock, yes. My friend Kevin has put some taller bars on it, heated grips, and has a large windshield.

I will take plenty of pic when we get it together and running.

The original plan was to have the bike ready for our trip on September 16th. Hope it will be done. If not, my V Star will sure be up to the task.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Since it will be your second bike I would take my time.

Ive had my VS650 for 5 summers now and put 25k miles on it. I was starting to think maybe I would start looking for a second bike. Then I realized that, if my bike is good for 75 to 100k miles, at the rate I am riding it, I could still be riding it for the next 12 years.

That was when I decided to put a windshield and trunk on the bike, and I was in no hurry to get it done.

When you put a deadline on a project it can take the joy out of it. If you like the GSX you will own it for many many years.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Nice job on the paint! From the pics it's hard to believe that's a spray can job. Can't wait to see the completed pics.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Usually the problem with rattle can paint jobs is people try to get by cheap as possible. Only using one can of paint, skimping on the sanding and clear coat and buffing. Motorcycles and bicycles lend themselves much better to Rustoleum custom paint jobs, than say.. painting an entire car.

BTW, one thing I found painting bicycles over the years. The dashboard of your beater car on a hot summer day makes a great solar paint oven. If you are not aware, enamel paint hardens much better if you "bake it" on at the right temp. Waiting till the paint is dry to the touch, and then putting the part on the dash board with the car pointed south with all the windows closed for an afternoon really does a great job of baking the paint.

Some people put parts in their oven and put in on warm... Cant recommend that, the fumes tend to stay in the oven for a long time.

When I was a kid every spring I tore my bicycle apart, cleaned and greased all the mechanical parts and painted the frame. I was always impatient and tried to put the bike back together while it was still tacky, got finger prints all over it, scratched the new paint with the axle nuts... Wish I had known about baking the paint back then.

If you are painting something that is too big to put on the dashboard, an SUV pointed north in the sun, with your parts in the back would work too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts