Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted this as a stand alone thread for others to also give their experiences with the Nav System, and welcome their comments...

Here is my biggest beef with the system so far...:

Tony, (ChiefGunner) his beef is with the 5 waypoint limit on a grand tour motorcycle. I agree with this one as well...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tony...morning!

I think our beef is with Harman/Kardon.

While we talk about the Navigation (their software...) here is one of my biggest beefs to date, and that I called Yamaha Canada Customer Service over..(BTW, very nice agents...they listen...) is this:

Unlike the Garmin system on my 2008 GL1800...when you are in casual mode (what I mean by that...is that you have not dialed in a destination, but have the navigation screen on the Master Display), NONE..of the streets, highways (overpasses), or turn about's, off ramps...NOTHING, thousands of feet, or 1 or two miles ahead, has any names come up onto the display as you come up on the route-of-travel (cross over streets, highway exits/overpasses, etc in 3D map mode)....and in my case...when I PASS a street or overpass on the highway, or even a highway exit lane....the name of the street, or highway designation, finally comes up....but with me, already 500, to 700 yards BEYOND the street, exit, whatever...always behind me.

This is a serious software GPS bug. It is like the system does NOT know the actual X/Y coordinates of the bike...and the software 'sees' your motorcycle position, the motorcycle 'icon' 1,000 yards behind the icon position on the screen and triggers an update (names etc) to the casual map display. I called them about that to make them aware of the problem. Functionally for me, this bug is serious enough to make the Casual Map, totally useless. If I am in a town or city, and don't know what street cross over, I am coming to....of what use is the Navigation System to tell me the names of the streets I have already passed by 1,000 yards or more. Also...so weird...their choice of what gets named...is if I am on 'Gaflortnick' Street, names of side streets, three or four streets IN...from the street I am travelling on, gets named, but the cross over streets I am approaching ON MY STREET and line of travel, do NOT! WTH?

Post Edit: If that is not a bug...in that Harman/Kardon doesn't bother naming highway exits that you are coming up to..for they feel you can merely read the actual signs...REALLY? REALLY? What if you are in fog...a low-cast rainy day..and NEED to know in advance for lane positioning, what is up ahead...and the street you might want to get on or off at....but yet...they screen name, and show you streets three or four side streets in...but NOT named, UP AHEAD OF YOU....Harman Kardon...a major design FAIL!

Another beef....at the top of the Nav Screen Display, there is a bar that tells you what street or highway you are on....(are you kidding me!?!?!?) I KNOW what street or highway I am on...what I need is for that bar to say, like my system in my Dodge Grand Caravan Van...'Gaflortnick' Street, up ahead, and on the 3D display, all of the side and cross over streets having their names on full display and continuous update as I advance up the street. I would kill for having the system on my SVTC that is in my Dodge Grand Caravan!!!!! THAT system, lets you know, what is fully up ahead, though yet, unseen...

So, what do I want to see in a Navigation Update? That the system keeps you abreast of the name of the streets, continually updating as a new street comes onto the system, and the name appears as you come upon it...and only disappears as it falls of the bottom of the screen. I want that top bar to show the next up coming street that the bike is approaching and to fix the deadly bug where your actual X/Y is behind the reporting screen data. Honda is also experiencing this stuff...so the problem lays with the actual Harman Kardon Navigation System Software. This is truly bad....and every year, manufacturers are going to outfit their bikes, with the lowest cost bid.... I guess Garmin held out for more, from both Yamaha and Honda....and was dropped....or...Harman/Kardon (as we know..) creates Control Head Software (the very heart of the entire SVTC system) (same for Honda), and Garmin does not engage in that...only Navigation derived software....so..in fairness, that could be the decision by both Companies to outfit with H.K. Just an afterthought, in fairness...

Joe

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I wanted this as a stand alone thread for others to also give their experiences with the Nav System, and welcome their comments...

Here is my biggest beef with the system so far...:

Tony, (ChiefGunner) his beef is with the 5 waypoint limit on a grand tour motorcycle. I agree with this one as well...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tony...morning!

I think our beef is with Harman/Kardon.

While we talk about the Navigation (their software...) here is one of my biggest beefs to date, and that I called Yamaha Canada Customer Service over..(BTW, very nice agents...they listen...) is this:

Unlike the Garmin system on my 2008 GL1800...when you are in casual mode (what I mean by that...is that you have not dialed in a destination, but have the navigation screen on the Master Display), NONE..of the streets, highways (overpasses), or turn about's, off ramps...NOTHING, thousands of feet, or 1 or two miles ahead, has any names come up onto the display as you come up on the route-of-travel (cross over streets, highway exits/overpasses, etc in 3D map mode)....and in my case...when I PASS a street or overpass on the highway, or even a highway exit lane....the name of the street, or highway designation, finally comes up....but with me, already 500, to 700 yards BEYOND the street, exit, whatever...always behind me.

This is a serious software GPS bug. It is like the system does NOT know the actual X/Y coordinates of the bike...and the software 'sees' your motorcycle position, the motorcycle 'icon' 1,000 yards behind the icon position on the screen and triggers an update (names etc) to the casual map display. I called them about that to make them aware of the problem. Functionally for me, this bug is serious enough to make the Casual Map, totally useless. If I am in a town or city, and don't know what street cross over, I am coming to....of what use is the Navigation System to tell me the names of the streets I have already passed by 1,000 yards or more. Also...so weird...their choice of what gets named...is if I am on 'Gaflortnick' Street, names of side streets, three or four streets IN...from the street I am travelling on, gets named, but the cross over streets I am approaching ON MY STREET and line of travel, do NOT! WTH?

Post Edit: If that is not a bug...in that Harman/Kardon doesn't bother naming highway exits that you are coming up to..for they feel you can merely read the actual signs...REALLY? REALLY? What if you are in fog...a low-cast rainy day..and NEED to know in advance for lane positioning, what is up ahead...and the street you might want to get on or off at....but yet...they screen name, and show you streets three or four side streets in...but NOT named, UP AHEAD OF YOU....Harman Kardon...a major design FAIL!

Another beef....at the top of the Nav Screen Display, there is a bar that tells you what street or highway you are on....(are you kidding me!?!?!?) I KNOW what street or highway I am on...what I need is for that bar to say, like my system in my Dodge Grand Caravan Van...'Gaflortnick' Street, up ahead, and on the 3D display, all of the side and cross over streets having their names on full display and continuous update as I advance up the street. I would kill for having the system on my SVTC that is in my Dodge Grand Caravan!!!!! THAT system, lets you know, what is fully up ahead, though yet, unseen...

So, what do I want to see in a Navigation Update? That the system keeps you abreast of the name of the streets, continually updating as a new street comes onto the system, and the name appears as you come upon it...and only disappears as it falls of the bottom of the screen. I want that top bar to show the next up coming street that the bike is approaching and to fix the deadly bug where your actual X/Y is behind the reporting screen data. Honda is also experiencing this stuff...so the problem lays with the actual Harman Kardon Navigation System Software. This is truly bad....and every year, manufacturers are going to outfit their bikes, with the lowest cost bid.... I guess Garmin held out for more, from both Yamaha and Honda....and was dropped....or...Harman/Kardon (as we know..) creates Control Head Software (the very heart of the entire SVTC system) (same for Honda), and Garmin does not engage in that...only Navigation derived software....so..in fairness, that could be the decision by both Companies to outfit with H.K. Just an afterthought, in fairness...

Joe
Good morning Joe!

While the NAV has some issues, they also did the sound system.
That IMHO is a BIG WIN on their part cuz it sounds AWESOME!
Have had a number of people comment on how great the sound system sounds.

I wonder if this whole thing is kinda like “Polaris”? We all know that there is ONE THING that they do EXCELLENT and that is watercraft. No so much in the motorcycle arena.
Harmon Kardon has great sound equipment, maybe with the NAV they’ve branches out too far beyond their “expertise”?
Just a though.

Oh! I forgot to mention another pet peeve regarding the CURRENT NAV system configuration.
You’re not able to SAVE any address BY NAME! What’s up with that?
Also, WHY do I have to enter in that I’m in the United States every time?? Doesn’t this thing KNOW where it’s at???
Just sayin!

Afterthought: Maybe we should be contacting HarmonKardon DIRECTLY and asking THEM the questions and not Yamaha?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good morning Joe!

I wonder if this whole thing is kinda like “Polaris”? We all know that there is ONE THING that they do EXCELLENT and that is watercraft. No so much in the motorcycle arena.
Harmon Kardon has great sound equipment, maybe with the NAV they’ve branches out too far beyond their “expertise”?
Just a though.

Oh! I forgot to mention another pet peeve regarding the CURRENT NAV system configuration.
Also, WHY do I have to enter in that I’m in the United States every time?? Doesn’t this thing KNOW where it’s at???
Just sayin!

Afterthought: Maybe we should be contacting HarmonKardon DIRECTLY and asking THEM the questions and not Yamaha?
Oh, I agree...the sound system rocks...and I am not writing off the entire Navigation System...but the software version needs work....especially for the bugs I have noted, and or lack of street update accuracy or features. The sound system? Amazing....I can't ever get over 3/4 our of a volume of 17 (which even at that volume, does not distort...but will cause blood to drip from your ears... Even at a volume setting of 5, at 60 mph on the highway, with Auto Volume set to high....I have to usually drop it back to a volume setting of 4. On my 2008 Wing...I ALWAYS had to have the volume at around 12 and higher...and in comparison, the SVTC volume setting of 4/5 is louder, much louder than 12-17 on my past GL1800. That was one of the first things I was amazed on, upon my first riding away from the dealership. Also, typing about the sound sytem in general...the radio AM/FM is the best system I have ever had on any motorcycle. It is powerful, the channels lock in a hundred miles from the transmitter...and no static...even on AM. I am amazed at this...and really now, highlights in how crappy, the AM/FM radio and antenna quality/placement was on my 2008 Premium Sound/Nav Wing. That thing crapped out, in and out, in and out, with even within Toronto, where the station was located, or on the far outskirts of Toronto, where I live...it never was a radio, one could use. On the Yamaha SVTC? Totally usable...and the stereo channel separation is Home Quality. No critique of the Sound System Module in the slightest!

Chief...I don't think (from what I've seen so far...) that H.K.'s strong suit...is in Navigation display and software. Hopefully, this is a 'live' learning curve for them...and because the system accepts updates...it is only going to get more refined and better...but to NOT cost the owner, a download fee...to HAVE it made right. I can see premium content...but Yamaha should not charge to get the bugs, fixed....and let's hope so...

Post Edit...about contacting H.K...excellent idea...and I'm going to do just that...voice my concern, or email with my 'hit list'....good point...

Joe

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have never really used the navigation systems in my vehicles much so I really don't see the down falls that you guys have picked up on with this one.

Maybe that is a plus for me because I don't end up getting frustrated with the Nav system.

I do know that the Nav system does not get a lot of the speed limits right and I would put money down that the system we have in these bikes is a old system that is in serious needs of a current update that should come at Yamaha's expense not ours.

I wonder what value that Yamaha toolbox software is because it still does not show an update for this most current version 12.06 update being available.

This is one area Yamaha has dropped the ball on.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have never really used the navigation systems in my vehicles much so I really don't see the down falls that you guys have picked up on with this one.

Maybe that is a plus for me because I don't end up getting frustrated with the Nav system.

I do know that the Nav system does not get a lot of the speed limits right and I would put money down that the system we have in these bikes is a old system that is in serious needs of a current update that should come at Yamaha's expense not ours.

I wonder what value that Yamaha toolbox software is because it still does not show an update for this most current version 12.06 update being available.

This is one area Yamaha has dropped the ball on.
Not surprising Bill that you don’t use NAV. I mean, heck.... you’re in Florida. You KNOW you can only go so far East, West & South!
Lol!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Good morning Joe!

Just a though.

Just sayin!

Oh, I agree...the sound system rocks...and I am not writing off the entire Navigation System...but the software version needs work....especially for the bugs I have noted, and or lack of street update accuracy or features. The sound system? Amazing....I can't ever get over 3/4 our of a volume of 17 (which even at that volume, does not distort...but will cause blood to drip from your ears... Even at a volume setting of 5, at 60 mph on the highway, with Auto Volume set to high....I have to usually drop it back to a volume setting of 4. On my 2008 Wing...I ALWAYS had to have the volume at around 12 and higher...and in comparison, the SVTC volume setting of 4/5 is louder, much louder than 12-17 on my past GL1800. That was one of the first things I was amazed on, upon my first riding away from the dealership. Also, typing about the sound sytem in general...the radio AM/FM is the best system I have ever had on any motorcycle. It is powerful, the channels lock in a hundred miles from the transmitter...and no static...even on AM. I am amazed at this...and really now, highlights in how crappy, the AM/FM radio and antenna quality/placement was on my 2008 Premium Sound/Nav Wing. That thing crapped out, in and out, in and out, with even within Toronto, where the station was located, or on the far outskirts of Toronto, where I live...it never was a radio, one could use. On the Yamaha SVTC? Totally usable...and the stereo channel separation is Home Quality. No critique of the Sound System Module in the slightest!

Chief...I don't think (from what I've seen so far...) that H.K.'s strong suit...is in Navigation display and software. Hopefully, this is a 'live' learning curve for them...and because the system accepts updates...it is only going to get more refined and better...but to NOT cost the owner, a download fee...to HAVE it made right. I can see premium content...but Yamaha should not charge to get the bugs, fixed....and let's hope so...

Post Edit...about contacting H.K...excellent idea...and I'm going to do just that...voice my concern, or email with my 'hit list'....good point...

Joe
Hey Joe, I’m curious as to what level you have your “sound compensation” set at? There’s low, med & high that compensates for surrounding wind noise that occurs when riding and it adjusts the volume level accordingly.
You did know that right?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not surprising Bill that you don’t use NAV. I mean, heck.... you’re in Florida. You KNOW you can only go so far East, West & South!
Lol!
LOL, keeps me from getting lost!

If I can keep from getting run down by the Dump Trucks operated by those from south of the border.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Lol!
LOL, keeps me from getting lost!

If I can keep from getting run down by the Dump Trucks operated by those from south of the border.
I bet you’re becoming one STELLAR rider! Heck... you have to be now that you’re ZIG ZAGGING all over the place dodging NAILS to avoid ANOTHER $300!!
Don’t blame you one bit!
I’m not coming down there until somebody makes SOLID RUBBER tires for this bike!!
🤣

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Lol!
"Oh my GAWD! LOLOLOLOLOLOL..ROTFLMBO! That made my day...funny or what? Yeah..no Floridian needs GPS....point the bike east..you hit water, west, you hit water, south, you hit water...what's to GPS for? LOL....Ok..maybe if you live life Floridian-Dangerous...and head north....up to Valdosta...then, maybe..." ;)

Gawd,...that was funny....

Joe

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Joe, I’m curious as to what level you have your “sound compensation” set at? There’s low, med & high that compensates for surrounding wind noise that occurs when riding and it adjusts the volume level accordingly.
You did know that right?
I have it on High. Right from day one, I had it on Medium from the first mile...but really like that extra 'tweak' at 45 mhp or over. Oh...I also found out, that if you DO have the windshield at full up, the sound wafting back to you from the front speakers is less wind-shifted. So...even now, if I am in any city...and not out upon the open road or highway(s), I have the shield up, for entertainment purposes, where I really do want to hear the music, and not just keep-me-company, back ground 'noise'. I hate the screen up...but it DOES make a sonic difference. Funny...ignorance is NOT bliss...once you have the choice to set the windshiled as you see fit...wind pressure, or not....hot or cold days, and in-between....it's like the right to 'bear arms'....don't be EVER messing with me, on that feature....if a bike doesn't have it...now....I ain't buying it! No way....nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo--------->way!

LOL

Joe

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Lol!
"Oh my GAWD! LOLOLOLOLOLOL..ROTFLMBO! That made my day...funny or what? Yeah..no Floridian needs GPS....point the bike east..you hit water, west, you hit water, south, you hit water...what's to GPS for? LOL....Ok..maybe if you live life Floridian-Dangerous...and head north....up to Valdosta...then, maybe..." /forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Gawd,...that was funny....

Joe

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
LOLOLOLOLOLOL! Stop...you're going to have me running for the bathroom...."hey hon...quick outta the way....quick...."...../forums/images/smilies/smile.gif "Geezo Pete...what was your hurry?...Hmmm let me see what you were reading on line....geez... oh...ok...." /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
I’d take another “bow” but I don’t want you to “wet” yourself!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts