Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the yellow key light kept coming on. It did not matter where I had my key. I ended up putting it in the tank bag on the bottom as close to the bike as it would go basically it was within 1 inch of where the seat and tank meet. The yellow light kept coming on.. It was especially annoying when it got dark. Any thoughts my SVTC gurus?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Today the yellow key light kept coming on. It did not matter where I had my key. I ended up putting it in the tank bag on the bottom as close to the bike as it would go basically it was within 1 inch of where the seat and tank meet. The yellow light kept coming on.. It was especially annoying when it got dark. Any thoughts my SVTC gurus?
I was having trouble getting mine to respond to the fob about 2 weeks ago. Turns out the battery was low! I replaced the battery in the fob and VIOLA! It works fine now.
You know the receiver for the fob is actually located under the seat. Placing it in any of the front storage pockets will cause and issue. A leather pouch like you mentioned may, but I’ve never tried one.
Bottom line: I know the bike is new but change your fob battery.
Also, try and keep the fob in a pants pocket ALONE where nothing can push on the buttons. It’ll drain the battery faster if stuff keeps pushing on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I had my key in the front left compartment and I also had the same issue. Since I have stated caring it in my pocket I have not had the light come on. The sensor is under the seat and closer to your pocket.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How does the key come apart? I do not have the owners manual with me. I have the blade out, but it does not want to open up. Is there a trick to it?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
How does the key come apart? I do not have the owners manual with me. I have the blade out, but it does not want to open up. Is there a trick to it?
Pull the emergency start key out of the fob.
Then pry apart at the top where you can see the seam of the two halves. It won’t work with the key still in the fob because the key had a locking tab that helps hold the two pieces together.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Then pry apart at the top where you can see the seam of the two halves. It won’t work with the key still in the fob because the key had a locking tab that helps hold the two pieces together.
Pry it at the end opposite of the emergency key? Do you remember what size battery it takes?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Pry it at the end opposite of the emergency key? Do you remember what size battery it takes?
No, the same end as the key. I think it’s a 1025 watch battery. You’ll see it when you open it up. It’s oretty common. I got a 2 pak at Home Depot.

·
Registered
809 Posts
When I get home, I press the unlock (bottom button) until I get one flash. Now, you have turned off the broadcast radio in the Proximity Fob. If you are not using the bike and it is parked, why have it continue to broadcast to the bike? I also turn it off, if we are going to be sitting near the bike, like at a bistro outside table. I don't take any chances with the actual broadcast pick up...for I know that under certain circumstances, (Weather metrics), the bike can/could pick up the fob broadcast...and make the bike vulnerable to ride away theft.

Also just as a FYI, the receiver inside the bike will automatically shut itself off (power down from (sniff) standby) if six 24 hour cycles go by, where within that time, the bike hasn't sensed the Proximity Handshake from the fob. This saves your bike battery. If you let's say were on vacation for 7 days...all you have to do, is when first approaching the bike, you press the ignition swtich down once...and that will wake up the on-bike Proximity Module, for normal bike run/start operation. If at any time the bike receives the handshake from the Pro Fob...the 6 24 hour day cycles resets from that handshake.

Just my six cents.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
When I get home, I press the unlock (bottom button) until I get one flash. Now, you have turned off the broadcast radio in the Proximity Fob. If you are not using the bike and it is parked, why have it continue to broadcast to the bike? I also turn it off, if we are going to be sitting near the bike, like at a bistro outside table. I don't take any chances with the actual broadcast pick up...for I know that under certain circumstances, (Weather metrics), the bike can/could pick up the fob broadcast...and make the bike vulnerable to ride away theft.

Also just as a FYI, the receiver inside the bike will automatically shut itself off (power down from (sniff) standby) if six 24 hour cycles go by, where within that time, the bike hasn't sensed the Proximity Handshake from the fob. This saves your bike battery. If you let's say were on vacation for 7 days...all you have to do, is when first approaching the bike, you press the ignition swtich down once...and that will wake up the on-bike Proximity Module, for normal bike run/start operation. If at any time the bike receives the handshake from the Pro Fob...the 6 24 hour day cycles resets from that handshake.

Just my six cents.
That sounded more like $1 CN worth to me!
😁. I sent you a PM. My inbox was full

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured it out. When I was looking at it last night I was aggravated and so tired. When I woke up this morning I had it done in like 30 seconds. I made a video.. Ok so it is 2 minutes, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I figured it out. When I was looking at it last night I was aggravated and so tired. When I woke up this morning I had it done in like 30 seconds. I made a video.. Ok so it is 2 minutes, but you get the idea.
That’s good to hear. If you couldn’t figure out how to change a battery on a key fob, I was REALLY worried about you doing any bike maintenance or repairs!
ROFLMBO! 🤣🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nicely done! Did the wife help you? Just wondering about the “painted nails”?
Nope those are my hands. I keep them painted. Last night I Was using a butter knife ( we are in the camper and I did not feel like getting my tools out of the truck) Once I got my pocket screw driver it was easy. I do it all the time for customers on their keys.. I was so tired last night I could not think straight.

·
Super Moderator
4,491 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New key fob battery fixed the problem. It did not matter where I had the key I never got the yellow flashing light. Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts