Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you SVTC Owners and “prospective” owners. I started this thread to discuss any odd little “quirks” that people are running into on the SVTC.
As was mentioned on another thread, it seems the turn signals “intermittently” when turning the bike ON ,will have the left of right signal going.
Very odd!
It’s not every time and not always the same turn signal. I had attributed it to my own clumsiness, but some others are suspecting a possible software glitch that is more of a nuisance than a real “problem”.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hello all you SVTC Owners and “prospective” owners. I started this thread to discuss any odd little “quirks” that people are running into on the SVTC.
As was mentioned on another thread, it seems the turn signals “intermittently” when turning the bike ON ,will have the left of right signal going.
Very odd!
It’s not every time and not always the same turn signal. I had attributed it to my own clumsiness, but some others are suspecting a possible software glitch that is more of a nuisance than a real “problem”.
On the first start today, my right turn signal kicked on. Then, I think what is the proper initializing....that is, on my second start, as YAMAHA was coming up on the display, both flashers lit up three time...and then went cold. I think that is the proper thing to happen, that the Logic Head is testing all circuits and the turn signals, right and left is actually in the start up and verify software sequence. What I think gets glitzed, is that only one of the circuits...left or right gets send a 'sniff' with the light lighting up, and then stays blinking because the wrong 'return' handshake was seen by the Logic Head, so it keeps sending the handshake. We interrupt that by turning off the left or right turn signal manually by the appropriate switch.

Today, my SVTC did the proper both (three blinks) and then off...as the bike's electronics are coming on line, after the first one did the glitz one blinking continuous (with manual turn off, intervention).

Certainly looks to be a snafu in 12.0.6, so I expect 12.0.7 ASAP.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Raising and lowering the windshield.

Many reviews make the assumption that the fuel tank windshield buttons only let the windshield go fully down or fully up.

If you push the fuel tank windshield button to raise the windshield you can stop it at any point by quickly pushing the up button a second time and the windshield will stop, the same thing when lowering the windshield with the fuel tank buttons.

If you use the infotainment screen to raise and lower the windshield it gives you more precise control because as soon as you let off the up switch on the left handle bar the windshield stops at that point, it works the same if lowing though the infotainment system.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Checking the oil.

This bike is rather a pain to check the oil, if you start it and let run for just a few minutes to start to warm up, under 10 minutes, and then check the oil with the dip stick, it may show no oil on the dip stick at all. On mine if I let it warm up for 10 minutes then oil showed up on the dip stick. This is strange and I don't know what is going on with that as you are checking the oil via the dry sump oil tank. Apparently when you first start the bike it sucks the oil from the dry sump oil tank and it takes a bit for the system to return oil to the dry sump take.

This makes it rather a pain in the rear end to check the oil and could have you adding a quart of oil when it really does not need it. This is something I think Yamaha needs to look at.

My advice is to only check the engine oil when it is up to full operating temperature so the oil system has had time to fully circulate the engine oil through the system and back to the dry sump oil tank. Maybe checking the oil at the end of rides would be the best method so that the oil is up to temp and fully circulated through the system.

Also this bike must be stood upright or you will get a bad reading, the dip stick is very short so thinking you can check the oil with the bike on the side stand will not work as the oil will show all the way up the dip stick even if you need to add some oil. Best to just check the oil properly with the bike standing upright.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Protecting the paint.

There are areas where you or the passenger are likely to rub the paint on the bike.

One area is the rear sides of the fuel tank just in front of the seat, your legs will contact the fuel tank in that area as you ride and dust and sand will collect between the fuel tank and your pants leg and it acts like a fine sand paper and will wear away the paint over time.

Also the two removable side covers the passengers shoes/boots can contact them and scratch or rub the paint.

The same thing with the front of the left and right saddle bags again the passengers shoes/boots can scratch or rub the paint.

The top of the trunk just under the Yamaha emblem when you close the trunk lid you can wear the paint in that area with your hand as you close it.

The solution is to purchase some clear 3M film used to protect the paint on automobiles. Cut it in the shape you need and put it in the above mentioned areas and you will protect the paint from getting scratched or rubbed.

I will attach a photo of each area showing the 3M clear film.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Transcontinental alarm system.

To shut off the alarm system you turn off the engine and press the fuel lid button to open the fuel lid, with the lid open wait until you hear the system beep two times you will see the red light on the tach will no longer be blinking, that shuts off the bikes alarm system and you can now work on the bike and move it without the alarm system setting off.

To reactivate the alarm system just turn the key to the on position and the alarm will work again.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very odd!
On the first start today, my right turn signal kicked on. Then, I think what is the proper initializing....that is, on my second start, as YAMAHA was coming up on the display, both flashers lit up three time...and then went cold. I think that is the proper thing to happen, that the Logic Head is testing all circuits and the turn signals, right and left is actually in the start up and verify software sequence. What I think gets glitzed, is that only one of the circuits...left or right gets send a 'sniff' with the light lighting up, and then stays blinking because the wrong 'return' handshake was seen by the Logic Head, so it keeps sending the handshake. We interrupt that by turning off the left or right turn signal manually by the appropriate switch.

Today, my SVTC did the proper both (three blinks) and then off...as the bike's electronics are coming on line, after the first one did the glitz one blinking continuous (with manual turn off, intervention).

Certainly looks to be a snafu in 12.0.6, so I expect 12.0.7 ASAP.
I’m paying more particular attention to this anomaly since our discussion.
Typically it’s been my left signal, but this morning when I started up it was the right.
I may be reaching, but it’s a good thing we call it a “she”, because just like a woman it’s “fickle & cant make up its mind”!!
Glad my wife doesn’t read these! I’d be in trouble.
At least it’s not something other than an “oddity”. Let’s face it, she’s got ATTITUDE and it shows!
Lol.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Opening the side panel on the right side to get to the brake fluid. Just turn the fastener 1/4 turn and pull it out. Now you push up on the panel and it will slide up a little bit and then you can pull the panel off. There are four slots that the panel lines up with that help hold the panel in place. There is a small slot to the left of the removable panel that allows you to check the brake fluid level without removing the panel.

You can just see the slot in the upper left side of the photo next to the removable panel.

If you just remove the 1/4 turn fastener and try to pry the panel straight off you will break the four slider tabs.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Want to keep your pants from getting wet from sweat on a ride as you sit on the seat?

One solution is to go by a Harley Davidson dealer and purchase a large circulator seat pad, I put a link to it at the end of the post. You will need to purchase a three foot length of elastic from a craft store as well. Cut the front elastic strip on the circulator pad and add about an inch or two piece in the middle, that will allow you to slide the elastic band under the front of the seat. Cut a longer piece and sew it to the rear of the pad and you can tuck that elastic strip down behind the top of the backrest so you will have two attachment points.

You can actually feel the cool air circulate under your bottom as you ride at times and it keeps the back of your pants from getting soaked from sweat as you are riding.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/circulator-large-seat-pad

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have had the alarm go off while starting and the bike running. *Sequence* Pushed the ignition in and moved to start, started the bike and as I was lifting it up and the alarm went off but it wasn't at full tone.

Also a warning with the sidestand/kickstand there is a bar that it has that help in assist you in getting the sidestand/kickstand down - the warning is this - with my boots the narrow diameter bar would get caught into the grooves and heal of the boot and could catch you off balance - be sure to have the sidestand/kickstand fully down before you go to rest the bike.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If your saddle bag lid or trunk lid won't unlock via the electronic lock it may be the tumblers have become out of position. Try inserting the mechanical key from your key fob to lock then unlock the saddle bag lid or truck lid. That should reset the tumblers allowing the electronic lock to work again.

Look on page 4-12 of the owners manual TIP Occasionally, it may be necessary to reset the lock cylinders to their proper unlock position with the mechanical key.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Checking the oil.

This bike is rather a pain to check the oil, if you start it and let run for just a few minutes to start to warm up, under 10 minutes, and then check the oil with the dip stick, it may show no oil on the dip stick at all. On mine if I let it warm up for 10 minutes then oil showed up on the dip stick. This is strange and I don't know what is going on with that as you are checking the oil via the dry sump oil tank. Apparently when you first start the bike it sucks the oil from the dry sump oil tank and it takes a bit for the system to return oil to the dry sump take.

This makes it rather a pain in the rear end to check the oil and could have you adding a quart of oil when it really does not need it. This is something I think Yamaha needs to look at.

My advice is to only check the engine oil when it is up to full operating temperature so the oil system has had time to fully circulate the engine oil through the system and back to the dry sump oil tank. Maybe checking the oil at the end of rides would be the best method so that the oil is up to temp and fully circulated through the system.

Also this bike must be stood upright or you will get a bad reading, the dip stick is very short so thinking you can check the oil with the bike on the side stand will not work as the oil will show all the way up the dip stick even if you need to add some oil. Best to just check the oil properly with the bike standing upright.
I’ve found that on initial oil change, I put in exactly what the manual states when doing an oil & filter change.
That will put you pretty much spot on to start with. Then, as you said; the best time to check oil levels is AFTER you’ve been riding for a bit. It tends to work better than just trying to warm it up idling.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For those who want to have their OWN MP3 music on a USB stick.
1. DO NOT go bigger than a 32GB USB stick. The system will not handle it.
2. Use USB Port 1 (right front pocket)
3. IF you make sure your song “properties” are filled out properly (for each song) ie. Song Title, Artist, Album & Genre, the infotainment will be able to properly sort & play your music accordingly.
I literally have DAYS worth of continuous music available!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have had the alarm go off while starting and the bike running. *Sequence* Pushed the ignition in and moved to start, started the bike and as I was lifting it up and the alarm went off but it wasn't at full tone.

Also a warning with the sidestand/kickstand there is a bar that it has that help in assist you in getting the sidestand/kickstand down - the warning is this - with my boots the narrow diameter bar would get caught into the grooves and heal of the boot and could catch you off balance - be sure to have the sidestand/kickstand fully down before you go to rest the bike.
Good one GArider! I’ve been caught by that one myself. I was already starting to lean the bike over in anticipation of a “quick flip” of the kickstand and almost had a catastrophe! I now do not even start to lean it over until I’ve verified its fully down.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Tip over protection.

Yes the Yamaha Star Venture does have tip over protection, the front of the bike you will find two crash/tip over bars hidden behind the plastic cover where the fog lights mount.

The rear of the bike uses the saddle bags, the black plastic strip that runs along the bottom of the saddle bags from the front to the rear of them is what the bike will rest on, that plastic piece is replaceable. The saddle bags are mounted via four Allen head bolts two bolts to the inside of the bags into the frame and two bolts through the bottom of the saddle bags. This makes for a very solid mount for the saddle bags to support the weight of the bike at the rear.

The Star Venture will tip over to a 45 degree angle and come to rest on the front crash/tip over bar and the length of the bottom of the saddle bags resting on the replaceable plastic piece.

When you lift the bike back upright you will have to cycle the ignition key to off and back on again to restart the engine due to the tip over sensor that cuts off the engine in the event of a tip over.

·
Registered
809 Posts
While I have not purchased one yet, I hear that the horn is...well, not much of a horn.
It's not...they went really cheap with this...just legal, in other words, it makes a squeak. Even my 2008 GoldWing had a really great OEM air-horn. I can't believe that Yamaha would put this crappy horn on their flagship motorcycle. To listen to it, causes embarrassment. I just bought a 120 decibel air-horn, and will be swapping it out ASAP. BTW, when you buy an air-horn...it is most important that the positive lead (the one that actually supplies power to the horn) be on the right prong, when you slide it over it. For instance, on my just purchased horn, in the instructions, it states that the positive power lead MUST be on the top prong, or prong nearest the top of the horn, anyway you want to decipher that. To put it on the bottom prong, can damage the horn. So...read your mounting instructions carefully. To test for the positive lead, just put a light tester on the one or the other lead and press the horn button. Which ever prong lights up, is the power lead, and the other is the ground.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts