Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, we all have been upset at the cost of the Excedra rear tire cost at over $300 bucks a pop! Well, I have some good news on a few fronts.
First, I just had an Excedra Max 200/60VR16 put on. Yes, it’s slightly taller (less than 1/2” radius) than the 55 but has no problem fitting in the wheel well.
Secondly, you’ll notice the “V” rating which is for 149mph. That’s good because the stock is only rated to 134mph despite the fact the bike can go higher. That’s now no longer an issue. It also has a 79 load rating, so it’s rated at 963lbs, about 150lbs higher than stock. A consideration for those who tow.
Third, it seems the actual speedometer is now matching the speed listed over ground in the GPS.
Lastly the price... can find it online for under $185! That’s right, better performance and cheaper! I was able to get my dealership to match the online price. Total installed was $287.00

Just wanted to put this out there for those who might need a tire soon. I got 15k miles out of mine.
Here’s the info:

https://www.amazon.com/Bridgestone-Exedra-Rear-Motorcycle-Radial/dp/B00A4BGEZ0

·
Registered
691 Posts
You can purchase the Bridgestone OEM tires at Wingstuff for $199.99 for the rear tire with free shipping and the front tire is $154.99 with free shipping as well, you can purchase the front and rear together for $349.99 with free shipping.

Fast service and excellent customer service as well.

http://wingstuff.com/shop/2018_gold_wing-tires

The 2018 Honda Goldwing uses the size tires and both Bridgestone and Dunlop have tires that fit. Dunlop's are more expensive.

·
Registered
691 Posts
There is also a rebate going on right now on Bridgestone tires that includes the OEM Bridgestone's. It is for $30 per tire you can see and print the rebate form on the wingstuff link in my above post. There are several tires that are offering a rebate.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is also a rebate going on right now on Bridgestone tires that includes the OEM Bridgestone's. It is for $30 per tire you can see and print the rebate form on the wingstuff link in my above post. There are several tires that are offering a rebate.
Good info to know. It still doesn’t address the difference in load and speed rating.
IF you’re one of those who DOES tow, the 60 series might do better.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can purchase the Bridgestone OEM tires at Wingstuff for $199.99 for the rear tire with free shipping and the front tire is $154.99 with free shipping as well, you can purchase the front and rear together for $349.99 with free shipping.

Fast service and excellent customer service as well.

http://wingstuff.com/shop/2018_gold_wing-tires

The 2018 Honda Goldwing uses the size tires and both Bridgestone and Dunlop have tires that fit. Dunlop's are more expensive.
The Dunlop tires are also known for “cupping” as they wear more than the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi folks, we all have been upset at the cost of the Excedra rear tire cost at over $300 bucks a pop! Well, I have some good news on a few fronts.
First, I just had an Excedra Max 200/60VR16 put on. Yes, it’s slightly taller (less than 1/2” radius) than the 55 but has no problem fitting in the wheel well.
Secondly, you’ll notice the “V” rating which is for 149mph. That’s good because the stock is only rated to 134mph despite the fact the bike can go higher. That’s now no longer an issue. It also has a 79 load rating, so it’s rated at 963lbs, about 150lbs higher than stock. A consideration for those who tow.
Third, it seems the actual speedometer is now matching the speed listed over ground in the GPS.
Lastly the price... can find it online for under $185! That’s right, better performance and cheaper! I was able to get my dealership to match the online price. Total installed was $287.00

Just wanted to put this out there for those who might need a tire soon. I got 15k miles out of mine.
Here’s the info:

Mr. Gunner, have you rolled your SVTC up above 140 mph? Obviously you have come close, if not 140 how close to it have you gone? How did the bike handle those high speeds? I was reading about the new BMW GA having trouble with speeds above 85, any issues with handling way up there in mid triple digits on the Yamaha? Just thinking about this, I know for a fact that the new Honda Wing is speed limited to 112 mph, it would be fun (but wayyy above my bravery) to go flying past one at +130 with two riders and fully loaded >:) .
Gunner, did you see those kind of speeds in "normal" mode or in "sport" mode?
VERY INTERESTING,, learn something new everyday!!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here’s the info:

Mr. Gunner, have you rolled your SVTC up above 140 mph? Obviously you have come close, if not 140 how close to it have you gone? How did the bike handle those high speeds? I was reading about the new BMW GA having trouble with speeds above 85, any issues with handling way up there in mid triple digits on the Yamaha? Just thinking about this, I know for a fact that the new Honda Wing is speed limited to 112 mph, it would be fun (but wayyy above my bravery) to go flying past one at +130 with two riders and fully loaded /forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png .
Gunner, did you see those kind of speeds in "normal" mode or in "sport" mode?
VERY INTERESTING,, learn something new everyday!!
Thanks
I haven’t hit that “yet”. I was in Sport Mode and rolling about 125mph. She was “Rock Steady” and had plenty MORE to give. My reticence to push it harder was only due traffic and highway area. It’s got known hiding spots for troopers and I didn’t feel like going to jail and having my bike confiscated for reckless driving!
I was no where near the rev limiter and the bike felt solidly planted and the engine had more to give! As a matter of fact, I did push my “crusing speed” on a trip for about 2 hours running at about 90mph. It sounded like the engine was just “purring” and could run there all day. I was able to relax with ONE hand on the handlebars at that speed with no trepidation. Riding solo at that speed I was getting 38.6 MPG. Not bad at all IMHO.
Just an FYI, the bike will easily reach 100+ in Touring Mode, it just doesn’t get there as fast as in Sport Mode.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts