Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is one I never heard of before.
My beautiful bride of 19 years tells me to quit watching sci-fi and go get some milk! Of course I comply...resistance is futile! :) I jump on the SVTC and start it up, as I back it out I hear a loud chirp and thought WTH is that. The chirp happened again about 5 seconds later and then again. After a few cycles of this the alarm goes off, keep in mind that I am sitting on it with the engine RUNNING. I turn it off and back on. It does it again. I turn it off and let it sit for a minute or two and it is fine. I went and got milk and returned with no issues. I believe it was a computer glitch but I have never heard of this one before.

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
Bucfan11, if I remember correctly you changed out the key fob battery recently, could the new battery be low. I know I've bought brand new batteries with a use by date a couple of years away and they were bad. Just a thought.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bucfan11, if I remember correctly you changed out the key fob battery recently, could the new battery be low. I know I've bought brand new batteries with a use by date a couple of years away and they were bad. Just a thought.
My thought on that would be why did the bike let me start it? Someone suggested a loose battery cable, maybe it is that. I have an oil change due in a week or so. I'll check the cables then.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be watching this for a solution... Mine won't chirp - muted my Artemus before the end of the first week.
I've been on and off half a dozen times since yesterday. No issues. I do believe it was just a glitch but will check my battery connections when I change my oil.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'll be watching this for a solution... Mine won't chirp - muted my Artemus before the end of the first week.
I've been on and off half a dozen times since yesterday. No issues. I do believe it was just a glitch but will check my battery connections when I change my oil.
Hey Bucfan11 I mentioned this about a year ago when we talked about the oddities we encountered with this bike and was post in the Venture Fourm.
Many of the folks had the turn signal flash when the bike is started knowing they had turned it off. I didn’t have the issue or oddity for awhile and then one day I start getting this months after owning it and still happens from time to time. I posted the alarm going off after I had started the bike and picked it up front the side stand. Was the only issue I had then. It happen once and like you I shut off the bike waited a few minutes while holding the bike up and turned on the ignition let the bike cycle thru the startup screens and then started. Now every once in a while the bike reminds me that it has an alarm because I forget and go out in the garage and sit down and the alarm goes off and I find myself sitting on the floor after that. Even set beep still gets me when I standing next to it after I come back from a ride.
Anyway if you search in the venture forum for oddities you can get the whole list. If I find it I will post it here.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey Bucfan11 I mentioned this about a year ago when we talked about the oddities we encountered with this bike and was post in the Venture Fourm.
Many of the folks had the turn signal flash when the bike is started knowing they had turned it off. I didn’t have the issue or oddity for awhile and then one day I start getting this months after owning it and still happens from time to time. I posted the alarm going off after I had started the bike and picked it up front the side stand. Was the only issue I had then. It happen once and like you I shut off the bike waited a few minutes while holding the bike up and turned on the ignition let the bike cycle thru the startup screens and then started. Now every once in a while the bike reminds me that it has an alarm because I forget and go out in the garage and sit down and the alarm goes off and I find myself sitting on the floor after that. Even set beep still gets me when I standing next to it after I come back from a ride.
Anyway if you search in the venture forum for oddities you can get the whole list. If I find it I will post it here.
Almost every time I turn the main switch to ON before starting, one of the blinkers is flashing. Definitely a little odd. So minor that I wouldn’t have brought it up myself, but...since you mention it...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Almost every time I turn the main switch to ON before starting, one of the blinkers is flashing. Definitely a little odd. So minor that I wouldn’t have brought it up myself, but...since you mention it...
That is because you let the turn signal self cancel. You will notice that if you press the switch and cancel the turn signal you will not have a flashing blinker on start up. If you turn right and let it self cancel, your right blinker will be on at start up. Same thing for left. If you physically cancel then no blinklers on at startup.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got tired of listening to the alarm going off every time I opened the gas cap cover so I installed a toggle switch on one side of the speaker wires and hide the switch in the trunk. Now I control when I want to hear the alarm.

·
Registered
288 Posts
That is because you let the turn signal self cancel. You will notice that if you press the switch and cancel the turn signal you will not have a flashing blinker on start up. If you turn right and let it self cancel, your right blinker will be on at start up. Same thing for left. If you physically cancel then no blinklers on at startup.
Well I'll be jiggered. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I got tired of listening to the alarm going off every time I opened the gas cap cover so I installed a toggle switch on one side of the speaker wires and hide the switch in the trunk. Now I control when I want to hear the alarm.
Didn’t need to do that. There’s already a procedure to disable the alarm. Normally used when getting the bike serviced so they don’t go nuts!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn’t need to do that. There’s already a procedure to disable the alarm. Normally used when getting the bike serviced so they don’t go nuts!
Don't hold out! What is the procedure? I always open the fuel door but figure there has to be a way to turn it off...I just dont know it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Don't hold out! What is the procedure? I always open the fuel door but figure there has to be a way to turn it off...I just dont know it.
It’s in your owners manual. Didn’t you read it?😳

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Basically, that's the procedure - open the fuel door... But the alarm resets again, as soon as you close it, and then it goes off the next time you're working on another project and your sweetie takes a seat on the Venture... There is also a sensitivity setting - I don't know that one, "it's in the book..." But, back to the alarm: behind the port side saddlebag, next to the relays, you can unplug the siren. I used blanks my dealer saved to connect and protect, and zippity-do-da! the only "Siren" in my garage is my sweetie! >:)
If you've never done it, set yourself up to be able to rest the bag on something close, so you can disconnect the wiring harness. If you've done it more than once, you know it takes more time to find the correct allen wrench than it does to remove the bag... unless your tool box is more organized than mine.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did not want to disable the alarm just silence it. When I am riding locally I don't need it and don't want to hear it. If I am riding out of town or overnite I simply open the trunk and flip the toggle switch and the speaker is activated. Much easier than taking off the saddle bag.
I really like this idea - it's been added to my "winter projects" list.
I'm thinking of running the wires from the disconnected contacts behind the saddle bag, to a switch on the inside of that bag, rather than the trunk because I only use that bag on longer trips, and in my neck of the woods, the bike is safe and I'd only use it if I'm overnighting in unknown areas to my south...outside of northern, New England states. But if you've thoughtfully run the wire to the trunk for other reasons, I'm interested in what those are!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Although the bags do come off easy I did not want three electrical connections on one bag. I already have an led light in each bag and one in the trunk. So each bag has two connections and the trunk has one extra connection. It only takes a second to open the trunk and flip the switch.
My thought was when traveling I already have to open the trunk to unload when at a motel. I just flip the switch and the speaker is activated. The alarm doesn't really do anything other then make noise. If it would disable the ignition it would be a whole different story.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts