Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, haven’t posted here for a while but wanted to update you all on something.
I’ve only had the ONE issue with my bike which was the cam/lifter issue described in a different thread here.
Ever since the repair, the bike has run flawlessly!
The issue I’m having NOW is that my left REAR speaker apparently “blew”. I’ve never had the volume up past 10 so this shouldn’t have happened.
I felt comfortable knowing I was covered by a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty BUT... I just found out that the SPEAKERS ARE NOT INCLUDED!
They are only covered by ONE year. The head unit and everything else is covered EXCEPT for the speakers. Needless to say I’ve had my bike since December 29th 2017, so my speaker which just failed ($249) is not covered! ARRRGGGH!!

But WAIT!! STOP THE PRESS!
The dealership testified as to the care and condition of my bike and Yamaha stated
“As a gesture of good will, we WILL COVER THE SPEAKER under warranty.”! Yes, the speaker & labor were covered by Yamaha despite the warranty CLEARLY specifying the timeframe of coverage.
So, 7 months PAST the written warranty coverage of the speakers Yamaha DOES RIGHT by making it right for a customer!

If you’re listening Yamaha.... THANK YOU very much! With all the other issues we owners have patiently endured and still stood by YOUR side, I am GRATEFUL to have you stand by mine!

Well done to Team Charlotte Motorsports, Service Manager “Phil” and of course
Yamaha Motor Corp.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hi folks, haven’t posted here for a while but wanted to update you all on something.
I’ve only had the ONE issue with my bike which was the cam/lifter issue described in a different thread here.
The issue I’m having NOW is that my left REAR speaker apparently “blew”. I’ve never had the volume up past 10 so this shouldn’t have happened.
I felt comfortable knowing I was covered by a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty BUT... I just found out that the SPEAKERS ARE NOT INCLUDED!
They are only covered by ONE year. The head unit and everything else is covered EXCEPT for the speakers. Needless to say I’ve had my bike since December 29th 2017, so my speaker which just failed ($249) is not covered! ARRRGGGH!!

The dealership testified as to the care and condition of my bike and Yamaha stated
“As a gesture of good will, we WILL COVER THE SPEAKER under warranty.”! Yes, the speaker & labor were covered by Yamaha despite the warranty CLEARLY specifying the timeframe of coverage.
So, 7 months PAST the written warranty coverage of the speakers Yamaha DOES RIGHT by making it right for a customer!

If you’re listening Yamaha.... THANK YOU very much! With all the other issues we owners have patiently endured and still stood by YOUR side, I am GRATEFUL to have you stand by mine!

Yamaha Motor Corp.
This is good news for sure.
Good luck on the replacement.
Thanks Yamaha!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yamaha Motor Corp.
This is good news for sure.
Good luck on the replacement.
Thanks Yamaha!
Just got a call from the dealership. They’ve already received the part and installed it. Bike is ready for pick up!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,397 Posts
It's refreshing when old style customer service is given. I've been in retail my entire adult working years and the main issue is not companies wanting to give great customer service, but many consumers take advantage and want something for nothing. This is a hot topic within the retail industry, where do you draw the line.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Yamaha Motor Corp.
This is wonderful to hear! Good for Yamaha, happy for you El Jefe, and thanks for the post! One more GREAT reason for me to continue on with my plans to buy a Venture in the Fall.

My big concern has been that this bike isn’t selling, Yamaha is getting outta the cruiser business, etc., and that they just won’t stick it out with this bike. More and more info comes in reassuring me they believe in this machine and they’ll back it up, regardless. The announcement of a USA 2020 Venture was a big deal—that “Impact” blue—clearly a faster color—is calling my name. And this is one more “data point” to complete the profile.

Thanks again for the post, El Jefe de Pistola. Happy for ya, and good for Yamaha!

·
1,735 Posts
Thanks for posting that ChiefGunner, It's the reason I've been riding Yamaha for 45 years. Yamaha Corp. and the two dealers I've used have taken good care of me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for posting that ChiefGunner, It's the reason I've been riding Yamaha for 45 years. Yamaha Corp. and the two dealers I've used have taken good care of me.
--

Next thing you know, you'll start calling yourself "Yamaha Joe" or something. Ha, ha! Oh, wait... :surprise:

--

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's refreshing when old style customer service is given. I've been in retail my entire adult working years and the main issue is not companies wanting to give great customer service, but many consumers take advantage and want something for nothing. This is a hot topic within the retail industry, where do you draw the line.
Yes it is refreshing! The fact is, I didn’t know the speakers were not part of the 5 year warranty. That’s MY fault for not reading carefully. They legally didn’t have to cover it, but they DID as a “good Will gesture” as they stated. In the whole scope of things, a $249 speaker is not a big deal to a huge company, but the good will they showed a customer is worth FAR MORE than the speaker!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yamaha Motor Corp.
This is wonderful to hear! Good for Yamaha, happy for you El Jefe, and thanks for the post! One more GREAT reason for me to continue on with my plans to buy a Venture in the Fall.

My big concern has been that this bike isn’t selling, Yamaha is getting outta the cruiser business, etc., and that they just won’t stick it out with this bike. More and more info comes in reassuring me they believe in this machine and they’ll back it up, regardless. The announcement of a USA 2020 Venture was a big deal—that “Impact” blue—clearly a faster color—is calling my name. And this is one more “data point” to complete the profile.

Thanks again for the post, El Jefe de Pistola. Happy for ya, and good for Yamaha!
You’re welcome @Cliffieg ! Gotta tell ya, I’d have been hard pressed to choose if they had that blue at the same time as the red.
As to it being “faster”, well we’ll have to put THAT to the test. 😉

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You’re welcome @Yamaha Pat . I think it’s important to post the good. Anybody and everybody tears up the internet when something is wrong, but few do it when something goes right. It’s the same with any service company out there. People will scream bloody murder about something not right, but how about going back and giving a compliment when things are done well?
I know I do.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice to see Yamaha stand behind their product. I think they got more than their $249 worth in free advertising here. Too bad they no longer produce any bikes I would buy.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
You know I have heard that same thing that Yamaha is getting out of the Cruser business and that the sells of the VTC are not good, but honestly, the only place that I have been able to confirm this is from the forums, when I talk to the dealers, they are selling them just fine and most cannot keep them in stock according to them. And when I read the big bike touring blogs and articles they all rave over the bike the complaints we all know and have posted here are so trivial that they would not stop them from purchasing the bike. Yamaha's sales are increasing every year over Harley, and others that make the same type of bikes, so why do we keep hearing that sales are sluggish, that Yamaha is getting out of the cruiser market?
And now we hear that they stand behind their products past the warranty period, why would anyone buy anything but the VTC?

I know that the Cruiser market is the largest here in the US but why would this affect the overall sales of the bike? It's not like a company has never built something for a specific market before right?

Anyway, I love my bike and just like Cheif Gunner, I too had the pushrod issue with my bike where it wore a hole in the exhaust valve and more at only 5K and Yamaha came through and paid for all repairs and the bike has been great ever since.

Cheif, thanks for the good news.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know I have heard that same thing that Yamaha is getting out of the Cruser business and that the sells of the VTC are not good, but honestly, the only place that I have been able to confirm this is from the forums, when I talk to the dealers, they are selling them just fine and most cannot keep them in stock according to them. And when I read the big bike touring blogs and articles they all rave over the bike the complaints we all know and have posted here are so trivial that they would not stop them from purchasing the bike. Yamaha's sales are increasing every year over Harley, and others that make the same type of bikes, so why do we keep hearing that sales are sluggish, that Yamaha is getting out of the cruiser market?
And now we hear that they stand behind their products past the warranty period, why would anyone buy anything but the VTC?

I know that the Cruiser market is the largest here in the US but why would this affect the overall sales of the bike? It's not like a company has never built something for a specific market before right?

Anyway, I love my bike and just like Cheif Gunner, I too had the pushrod issue with my bike where it wore a hole in the exhaust valve and more at only 5K and Yamaha came through and paid for all repairs and the bike has been great ever since.

Cheif, thanks for the good news.
You’re welcome RRien07 !

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I thought that I would add to this post instead of starting a new one, warning, I have a bit of shall I say "therapy" session going on here?

As I mentioned I had to have my SVTC in for a complete teardown and all, it seems to be running fine now for the most part however, I am once again starting to hear some of the same sounds that I heard before my bike died on me.

I am hearing a Pop, with loss of power from the bike, just like before when I and first pulling off a stop.
It only happens when the bike is still somewhat cool, and only once or twice, I am curious if anyone else is experiencing this same issue before they had the failure in the motor, or if they are experiencing it at all.
I only bring it up because I am wondering if it is possibly happing to me again.
I am a bit nervous to take the bike on a long trip because of the failure in the motor, and so far all I am using it for is to commute 12 miles a day, it's sad, but I just do not trust the bike enough for the long road yet.

At least once a week I have something on this bike that is not working as designed, for instance, the radio won't play; this is my number one grip and when it does decide to come back on, my volume is set at 3 or 4, but the sound coming out of the speakers is at 15, WTH?
My number two grip is the locks, I can not tell you how many times I get locked out of my bike. I do not understand how something so simple can be so screwed up all of the time. My locks fail to unlock on me more then the Radio fails to play, but I know all of the work-a-rounds for it so I can at least fire the bike and get home so I don't even bother with them anymore. This last Tuesdays was a bit more of an issue when I had to get gas and the unlock for the gas lid would not unlock, only after 15 minutes of working all of the tricks was I able to get it to open.
The GPS does not display or won't find an address such as my home, you know the one you plug into the system and set as HOME.

Sorry for the Bitch session, but sometimes a guy needs to vent, thanks for reading, let me know if you too are having these same growing pains with the new bike.
I know that they are only growing pains as Yamaha makes a great product, this is all new and it is to be expected, I just want them to fix it and make it right soon.

Rob

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
When you pay good money for a product you purchased the right to bitch. That is a condition of the sale. If they don't want you to bitch they can make a product that doesn't get you to bitch or stand by their product so you don't want to bitch. Your right as a consumer. I feel like Yoda right now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
--

I understand some of your complaints. As to the radio not playing, with me it's that the headphone speakers don't always function on even though I'm getting Sirius on the bike speakers. For that I have to turn off the ignition, wait a short time, then back on to "reset" the system.

As to the volume of the external speakers, I believe I modified that by going on the info center to Vox, then was able to lower the volume of the speakers independent of the overall volume. Hard to remember exactly as, you know, you play around for a while with different combinations until one works, but you don't remember which combination you used last.

--

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Thank you both, I like the Yoda :)

I also had issues with the headsets and the work-a-round I found for them is turn them off before I plug them in and start the bike. So whenever I know I am going out with my wife, I make sure that the headset is turned off for both of us before shutting down the bike.

Also when we are out I shut down the headsets before turning off the bike, then once I turn it back on I let the infotainment fully restore then go to settings and turn on the headset and mics.
This has been working for me every time, but I should not have to do all of this to make it work and that's my bitch right now.

I really hope that cheifgunner responds regarding the Popping sound or anyone else.

Thanks again

Rob

·
Registered
141 Posts

I also had issues with the headsets and the work-a-round I found for them is turn them off before I plug them in and start the bike. So whenever I know I am going out with my wife, I make sure that the headset is turned off for both of us before shutting down the bike.
Rob
--

I suppose there are different ways of solving the headset, or other problems. For example, I usually make it a point to NOT turn off my ignition when I stop during a ride. Just turn it to ACCESSORY and then all stays on but the engine. Then I don't have to reset my electronics.

--

1 - 20 of 30 Posts