Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like it says in the title. I got somebody willing to trade my boards for his pegs. Wondering if it will work on a 98 vstar 650 to 2013 650??

Also do I need to the control rods and what not?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It'll work....yes you need all the linkage pieces

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Like it says in the title. I got somebody willing to trade my boards for his pegs. Wondering if it will work on a 98 vstar 650 to 2013 650??

Also do I need to the control rods and what not?
you need to swap every thing. the mounting brackets, pegs, brake pedal, the first brake rod, shifter and shift rod. and tell him he needs to cut the heel part of the shifter off to make the swap work because his kickstand is a different position than yours and blocks the heel shifter.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you need to swap every thing. the mounting brackets, pegs, brake pedal, the first brake rod, shifter and shift rod. and tell him he needs to cut the heel part of the shifter off to make the swap work because his kickstand is a different position than yours and blocks the heel shifter.

Wow thank you had no idea about cutting stuff. So would we be cutting my stock 98 stuff prior to installing on his 2013? Just making sure.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Wow thank you had no idea about cutting stuff. So would we be cutting my stock 98 stuff prior to installing on his 2013? Just making sure.
you don't cut anything.... he cuts heel part of your shifter off or the shifter won't mount to the 98. your good to go he's the one that has to modify with the one simple cut. you can't put a heel shifter on any 650 customs or 1998-2000 classics. i did the exact same swap and now remember both brake rods are the same on both bikes so no need to swap any brake rods ether. but shifter rod on a heel toe shifter is 10mm shorter so you need to swap them. look at a pic of the kickstand location on classic vs custom and note classics with oem boards have the kickstand moved rearward by 3 inches to clear the heel shifter. the bikes with heel shifters have the stand by the half moon cover and the others have it at the stator cover. it's up to you if want to cut it for him, after making the cut i rounded out the edges so it doesn't look like a hack job. it only takes a few min to do.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
That was the plan...just trying to get an idea of whats involved.
Here is whats involved..... 4 Hotdog's with a 24pact with this and that tools an that's it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
So neither of us have heel shifters so this should be fairly painless.
all 650 classics after 2000 had heel shifters and aluminum boards in the shape of a foot print with a replaceable heel insert. the yamaha add on boards were chromed steel that fit to peg brackets. if your bike is a custom then swap becomes "pegs" for "boards" and that's it the brackets are the same as is everything else. i thought you had a classic, now it seems you have a custom with" add on "yamaha boards. no custom ever came off the line with boards.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all 650 classics after 2000 had heel shifters and aluminum boards in the shape of a foot print with a replaceable heel insert. the yamaha add on boards were chromed steel that fit to peg brackets.

What about post 2000 Custom's? Pretty sure he got a custom.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
What about post 2000 Custom's? Pretty sure he got a custom.
post 2000 both models had the same frame because they both used pegs, after 2000 both models got a frame change to move the kickstand rearward the classic needed the change to accommodate the heel shifter, the custom didn't need the change, but yamaha use the modified frame on both models anyway... just look at any pre 2001 classic or custom and you'll see the kickstand right in middle of the flywheel location any model after 2000 yo'll see it between the half moon cover and the flywheel cover i own a 2000 classic with 2005 classic boards and controls and had to cut the heel shifter to make it work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts