Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forum and tried to do a quick search but turned up nothing, I'm looking for some options on a custom switch panel to install on the bike. I have an LED underglow system but would like to have it on a switch other than just the remote. I also have plans to add some other stuff like AUX lights for my darker rides to or from work as my schedule can have me there before and after the sun is out. My current hope is to have 3 or 4 switches (they may not get used but thats when you tell the passenger its for an ejecto seat right?! lol).
My goal is to have the switches be removable so that when the sad day comes to sell the bike I can pull the switches out and not have any permanent damage to the bike that would have to be repaired.

Haven't seen much in the way of options for switch panels for these bikes so curious what you guys have done. I'm currently modeling one that I may 3D print, with the end location of it being either on the handlebar or near the underside of the driver seat (still accessible when driving though).

I have a 2012 V-Star 950 if it helps

Thanks in advance from the newbie!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I would put it on the bars between the risers..........

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Ursa had LED vanity lights, the switch was on one of the side panels, opposite the battery on the left side.

Was able to find a black grommet at Lowes to plug the hole left by the switch - its not hard to find these side panel covers for most bikes if you really want to modify one for switches

the benefit of that location is you are right by the battery / fuse box - short wires and nothing has to pivot or bend thru suspension or steering

KISS (keep it Short and Stiff)....

·
Administrator
14,543 Posts
i have aux lights and LED accent lighting on my 950 but neither are to switches. my aux lights come on with the headlamp and my LEDs are wired to some power wire so they can only come on with the remote when the key is turned to accessories.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would put it on the bars between the risers..........
I'm looking at offsetting it from the center of the bar just to keep access to the ignition easy. Also looking at a way to put it on the left side of the bike and it would attach to the frame under the seat. I am leaning toward the seat location. I have been randomly reaching for these locations while driving just to get a feel for toggling a switch while riding and the seat location seems to be more convenient so far but it'll stick out a decent bit.

i have aux lights and LED accent lighting on my 950 but neither are to switches. my aux lights come on with the headlamp and my LEDs are wired to some power wire so they can only come on with the remote when the key is turned to accessories.
Only trick with that is that I want to be able to turn on things like the underglow sometimes if I go out riding or if, God forbid, the bike broke down at night and I could use them to make myself more visible without draining the battery as much.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I use my underglow at all times after dark, then you are more visible to idiot cars.
I prefer handlebar switches so I can see the switch I want and not fumble hunting for a switch taking my attention from the hazards around me.
As I have stated before on here:" Motorcycles are not dangerous, they are just unforgiving. You don't pay full attention and you get hurt".
If you are hunting for a switch, even after all the miles on the 650 , reaching for the reserve you don't hit it first time you reach for it sometimes, your attention is taken away.

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
234 Posts
some nice chrome aux switches for handle bars and for the master cylinder cover ebay mighth have them

i had this one worked nice but i burnt it wiring the second one wrong.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I installed the switch for my under glow in the plastic neck cover on the left side as it is not something I turn off and on much.

Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Administrator
14,543 Posts
Only trick with that is that I want to be able to turn on things like the underglow sometimes if I go out riding or if, God forbid, the bike broke down at night and I could use them to make myself more visible without draining the battery as much.
i'm able to turn the lights off and on at will using the remote. the way i have it wired is just so they can't accidentally turn on without the key as they were prone to do occassionally while parked at work. either way you have to use the bike's battery.
i'd recommend looking at auto switches. you're gonna find a lot more options

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed the switch for my under glow in the plastic neck cover on the left side as it is not something I turn off and on much.
what plastic neck cover are you talking about? Still new to the bike so don't know what location you are talking about.
I'm mostly looking for an easily accessible spot as I plan to use some form of off-road lights for on-road use when no-one is in front of me. Where I live there aren't many street lights and I'm already blind as a bat as I enjoy lights far too much

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sorry, slot of vstars have neck covers over the wiring by the handlebars.
I just noticed the 959 doesn't. But that's where I placed mine.

·
Administrator
14,543 Posts

heads up that some of these on either site may be momentary switches which means they are only on while the button is being pressed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts