Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some aren't fond of the lollipop turn signals but there's a classical look to them so I decided to keep them and instead find some LED bulbs. I realized that they serve as DRLs as well as signals, making them the perfect candidate for switchback LED bulbs. For anyone not familiar, these are bulbs that shine white when in DRL mode and flash amber (or other colors) when the signal pulses.

A couple of quick notes
  • There are different types of switchback bulbs. Type A alternates between amber and off during signals. Type B alternates between white and amber when signaling.
  • Not all LED bulbs are created equal. I originally went with some, what appeared to be, high quality bulbs on ebay and they didn't work correctly. Their sequence was jacked up (as in the first 2-3 flashes were amber/off and then switched to amber/white). I had ordered Type A bulbs. The final bulbs I'm using are from superbrightleds. They have never let me down, but are a bit more expensive... but still cheaper
    than buying bad bulbs and having to replace them. :wink:
The bulbs I'm using are $15/ea. Here's the link for Type A and Type B. I went with Type B this time.

There's a video on their site showing the difference since I'm too lazy to post one. :grin: Next post will have some pics at least.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics as promised...

Stock signal.

Amber filter pops out, then remove the standard 1157 bulb (this pics shows the other "bad" bulb that I replaced)

Empty socket

LED in place

DRL mode

Right turn signal flash

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I know some aren't fond of the lollipop turn signals but there's a classical look to them so I decided to keep them and instead find some LED bulbs. I realized that they serve as DRLs as well as signals, making them the perfect candidate for switchback LED bulbs. For anyone not familiar, these are bulbs that shine white when in DRL mode and flash amber (or other colors) when the signal pulses.

A couple of quick notes
  • There are different types of switchback bulbs. Type A alternates between amber and off during signals. Type B alternates between white and amber when signaling.
  • Not all LED bulbs are created equal. I originally went with some, what appeared to be, high quality bulbs on ebay and they didn't work correctly. Their sequence was jacked up (as in the first 2-3 flashes were amber/off and then switched to amber/white). I had ordered Type A bulbs. The final bulbs I'm using are from superbrightleds. They have never let me down, but are a bit more expensive... but still cheaper
The bulbs I'm using are $15/ea. Here's the link for Type A and Type B. I went with Type B this time.

There's a video on their site showing the difference since I'm too lazy to post one. :grin: Next post will have some pics at least.
Thank you SO much. Custom dynamics has something that costs $60. I was considering getting this. - So you had to install a load equalizer? I want to do this. I just put tinted lenses on so now I need brighter bulbs.

I just bought regular amber bulbs from Walmart for now.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't know why I bought the tinted covers. May end up putting the clear back on. Just wanted to make it look different.

I definitely want those same bulbs. Is there a thing else I need to buy? A relay controller thingy? Or load equalizer?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know why I bought the tinted covers. May end up putting the clear back on. Just wanted to make it look different.

I definitely want those same bulbs. Is there a thing else I need to buy? A relay controller thingy? Or load equalizer?
Hey sorry for the delay. You have 3 options really... No load equalizer but the bulbs will flash at a higher rate and potentially out of sequence with the rears, install inline resistors, or swap out the signal relay for the bike. The bulb itself is self-contained so it does the switch logic on its own. I think the relay is a better and easier solution if you don't want hyperflash, and that's what I diD.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hey sorry for the delay. You have 3 options really... No load equalizer but the bulbs will flash at a higher rate and potentially out of sequence with the rears, install inline resistors, or swap out the signal relay for the bike. The bulb itself is self-contained so it does the switch logic on its own. I think the relay is a better and easier solution if you don't want hyperflash, and that's what I diD.
Thank you! I ordered these almost instantly after I saw your post. Figured I would get any additional components afterwards, if necessary.

I should be adding the Run turn brake system before this mod but I went and got those smoke lens covers. Stupid actually, because I would like to increase my visibility. But I will be anxious to see what they look like with the new LEDs in place.

Thanks again. Like I said custom dynamics has something for $60 or $70 on their site that does the same thing. It's a flat insert with multiple leds that is plug in play to the feed that comes into signals. But not as "plug and play" as a bulb!

When I'm smart I wear my hi-viz neon yellow running vest over my jacket at night. But lights on the bike are always easy, and always "cool".

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

A couple of quick notes

Thank you so much for sharing. I just installed the bulbs. Pic shows new bulb on left as you're looking at the pic. The right had the stupid tinted lens with Amber bulb.

Night and day difference!

I want to do the brake turn signal mod in the back. I will get a load equalizer then. But for now, the flash isn't TOO rapid. I can live with it.

Thanks again. Love this! And only $15 each.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for sharing. I just installed the bulbs. Pic shows new bulb on left as you're looking at the pic. The right had the stupid tinted lens with Amber bulb.

Night and day difference!

I want to do the brake turn signal mod in the back. I will get a load equalizer then. But for now, the flash isn't TOO rapid. I can live with it.

Thanks again. Love this! And only $15 each.
Nice - glad you like them. When you get ready to address the flash, the relay is a lot easier. It involved removing the oem flasher relay box, removing the wires from the harness, and connecting them to a basic $5 signal relay that you can get on Amazon. If you need any help let me know.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
One of my bulbs quit on me. I want to buy a replacement but wonder if I should get a resistor/equalizer/relay... or something. Almost looks like I see a tiny bit of corrosion at the base of the bulb. Too much juice?

I don't know. I loved having these bright white running lights in. I put some amber bulbs in for now.

I'm sad.

·
Registered
176 Posts
bofa, You have any pics and part numbers for the relay? Not seeing which bike you did this with, do you know if it works on an 1100 Classic? I really like this mod. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think the relay is a better and easier solution if you don't want hyperflash, and that's what I did.
bofa, what relay did you use? I'm reading that the stock Denso FB257H on my 1100 is not a standard relay and includes the auto-cancel function for the flasher. Replacing with a standard relay loses that feature. I really like this idea but I'm trying to retain stock wiring and remove hyper-flash.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just removed the front flasher lens last evening on my '05 V Star 1100 Classic. No amber filter - just an amber bulb. Also does not look like there is any sort of reflector at the rear. Bulb attaches to the socket on the side not the back. Anybody add these to an 1100 and will the results be close to equal?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I just removed the front flasher lens last evening on my '05 V Star 1100 Classic. No amber filter - just an amber bulb. Also does not look like there is any sort of reflector at the rear. Bulb attaches to the socket on the side not the back. Anybody add these to an 1100 and will the results be close to equal?
Any luck eruby?

I think superbrightleds.com would have a similar led bulb to fit your bike...? The bulb type on the 950 front turn signal bulbs is the 1157 type bulb, but maybe yours plugs in different?

Superbrighleds.com sent me a new replacement bulb for the one that quit working on me. I will be happy to get these bright babies back in again. I am happy with the customer service. (Had to pay shipping to get the dead bulb back to them, but they sent me the new one free of charge.)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Any luck eruby?
I think superbrightleds.com would have a similar led bulb to fit your bike...? The bulb type on the 950 front turn signal bulbs is the 1157 type bulb, but maybe yours plugs in different?
Thanks YMG. The 1157 is the correct bulb, I was more interested in if the light pattern would be sufficient since it mounts on the side vs the rear. I was hoping someone has these in an 1100 and would reply with a review.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts