Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Yamaha 950 cruiser. I changed the oil the first time after only 30 miles following a prescribed (non-Yamaha) break-in technique to get rid of any metal. I continued with the Yamalube 20W-50 oil until the 600 mile check. At that time I switched to Yamalube synthetic 15W-50 which my mechanic said would be fine. A friend of mine who has been riding for many years said it was more common to wait until the engine had several thousand miles on it before going synthetic. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are we starting this over here too?! :D I had my o&f changed at 700 miles but only put in standard Yamalube. On my next o&f change, I'll be permanently switching to synthetics until something in the futures takes its place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been tracking the fuel consumption on my Star 950. The book says to expect around 49 mpg. I am consistently getting 59.6 mpg. Not sure how Yamaha computes that figure. I suspect it may be an average of city and highway driving. Most of my riding is highway. Needless to say, I am pleased with the fuel economy. I haven't seen any change in fuel economy since switching to synthetic oil, but, my reasons for switching had to do with internal wear more than anything which might be reflected in some increased economy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can switch to Synthetic oil at any time. I recommend right at your 600 service. The 600 service is to get machining and casting debris out of the engine.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
synthetic oil

thanks amsoil for the oil advice. that is just what I did, change the oil to synthetic at 600. I also changed the oil after the first 30 miles with regular Yamalube oil figuring that is when the most metal debris would accumulate during the intial engine break in period..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think my main concern about switching to synthetic too early had to do with making sure the rings were seated properly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nothing wrong with changing oil and filter early.

Glad you stayed with a Motorcycle Specific oil.

That whole thing with rings seating went out the window many years ago when machining changed on the OEM Level.

If it was an engine that had been bored or honed, then yes, a break-in period is needed.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just started using synthetic oil. Not sure there is any difference except the price has come down significaNTLY. A mechanic friend says that with older vehicles, synthetic cleans up the metal and makes for longer engine life. If using light oil in older cars particularly, leaks can develop i have noticed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just started using synthetic oil. Not sure there is any difference except the price has come down significaNTLY. A mechanic friend says that with older vehicles, synthetic cleans up the metal and makes for longer engine life. If using light oil in older cars particularly, leaks can develop i have noticed.
Some misnomers:

If "The price has come down" you are probably buying a Hydro-Cracked oil like Castrol SynTec, Rotella and Mobil 1 Automotive.

ALL Synthetics are not alike.

A True Synthetic made from a PAO or Ester Base Stock and will be higher priced..

Synthetic Motorcycle Specific will be around $8.00 and up per qt. Have seen it for $17.00 (US)

On that note, all synthetics Do Not clean. Usually PAO w/Esters and Ester based oils will clean.

Synthetic oil is Not "Lighter" than petroleum. That is what the viscosity grades are for.

Synthetics do not cause leaks. The leak was already there and the Synthetic cleaned the junk out caused by paraffin deposits. In many cases, such as seal leaks, synthetics will clean the deposits out, soften the seals and slow or cure the leak.

I have switched vehicles with in excess of 200,000 miles to synthetic with no issues.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Question

With all due respect, I wonder, Are you a mouthpiece for Amsoil, or have you really used and know of this product? I do know there are good to great oils out there, some better than others, just a little bit curious, do you ride? Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
With all due respect, I wonder, Are you a mouthpiece for Amsoil, or have you really used and know of this product? I do know there are good to great oils out there, some better than others, just a little bit curious, do you ride? Thanks.
I have been an AMSOIL Distributor for 26 yrs come February and used it before that. I know the product and use it in everything from my 2 cycle string trimmer to my cars and trucks.

Not that it makes a difference if I ride or not, I have a V-Star, a Goldwing and an Ultra Classic. The Ultra is 2 yrs old, on it's 3rd winter and over 42,000 miles on it in two riding seasons. Mostly running overloaded in the Tour-Pack and bags and pulling a trailer loaded with.... You guessed it, AMSOIL. So yes, I ride... a fair amount anyhow.

You can visit my website and go to the Harley page to see a pic. Information has not been updated but the pic is accurate.

Yes, there are good oils out there, I sell AMSOIL because it is the Best. If I find a better product and a better company, I will sell it.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Sounds good

Thank you, your belief in and long haul use of this product is a great testimonial that would be hard for anyone to argue with. For me anyway, you made the product more on a personal level vs company. I will for sure be checkin it out, thanks again.:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you, your belief in and long haul use of this product is a great testimonial that would be hard for anyone to argue with. For me anyway, you made the product more on a personal level vs company. I will for sure be checkin it out, thanks again.:)

A couple things you will find out about me. I am passionate about what I do. I will never knowingly lie to you especially to just sell a product, and I truly care about my customers and their vehicles and/or equipment.

I don't say the things I do about AMSOIL to sell it. I sell AMSOIL because I can say the things I do about it and have for over 26 years now.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
86 Posts
I run AMSOIL in my '06 1100 Silverado. I also use their marine gear oil in the rear differential. I have found on hot summer days I don't get the ticking when I stop at a stop light like I did with YamaLube. I also run the 100% synthetic in my Grand Cherokee. It's nice to just change the filter every 5K miles and add a little oil, versus doing a complete oil change. A complete change is only required every year or 15K miles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I run AMSOIL in my '06 1100 Silverado. I also use their marine gear oil in the rear differential. I have found on hot summer days I don't get the ticking when I stop at a stop light like I did with YamaLube. I also run the 100% synthetic in my Grand Cherokee. It's nice to just change the filter every 5K miles and add a little oil, versus doing a complete oil change. A complete change is only required every year or 15K miles.
I am glad you are happy with your AMSOIL Products but I am curious about a few things.

Maybe you got this from your Dealer, I don't know.

Why the Marine Gear lube ? It will work just fine but we have better products for the application.

I ran SVG 75W-90 in my Silverado Classic.

In your Jeep, you must be using a filter other than the AMSOIL Filter. The AMSOIL EA Series filter is good for 25,000 miles, one year in most applications.

The only oil we have that is 15,000 is our AMO 10W-40. The XL line is 7500, Our other oils for that application are 25,000 and 35,000 miles or 1 year.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
71 Posts
I called Amsoil and they recommended this product for the final drive.

The website only listed a Wix filter, so that's what I bought.

This is the oil I am using. https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asm.aspx

I see it can go 25K, but I hit the time interval before the 15K.
Not sure what his reasoning was on the gear lube, but as I said, it will work fine. I guess I just always go to the Top on certain things.

Tell me the year and engine on that Jeep.

Most will take a 42, 51 or 34 filter.

Just need to satisfy my own curiosity..

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts