Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to surprise my wife with a trip to Tennessee in Sept. Thinking about trailering my bike with us and doing the "Tail of the Dragon, Deals Gap." Curious if anyone on here has ridden this amazing road. What to expect. Is there traffic backed up. Exc. Tell me your experience if you have concurred this road. Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never been there, but that is the kind of road that I consider Nirvana. Here is a video I found:
Yea I watched that video. I just can't fathom renting a bike that I'm not familiar with and riding that road.
So I figured I'd UHAUL my bike behind our suv and save 300 bucks and have peace of mind that I'm
that I'll be on my bike and not some Harley rental.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
98 Posts
Not sure how far you will have to haul the bike, but chances are that when you factor in fuel plus wear and tear (often twice the cost of fuel) on the SUV it will cost more than 300 bucks. However, I fully agree on using your own bike. It is not the ideal road to become familiar on a new bike, that is for sure.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not sure how far you will have to haul the bike, but chances are that when you factor in fuel plus wear and tear (often twice the cost of fuel) on the SUV it will cost more than 300 bucks. However, I fully agree on using your own bike. It is not the ideal road to become familiar on a new bike, that is for sure.
8 hour trip.
Plus uhual fees. And the worry of leaving the trailer unattended at our place we are staying worries me. Yea renting may be the best option.
Maybe a street glide would be comparable to my 1300.

·
Registered
99 Roadie
216 Posts
Have ridden it a few times. Back in the 80s it was nice but these days it's full of squids on sportbikes riding over their heads, alot of poser types on cruisers that are inexperienced as well. 18 wheelers make very wide turns across both lanes. It's become a bit of a tourist thing.
Blue ridge parkway is a better ride.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can rent a v-star 950 Tourer from a private renter for 75 bucks a day. Down side is that it's 150 mile max. Everything after that is $0.10 per mile. So I may have to stay in a hotel in that city that the bike is in that night. Do our 150 mile ride. Wake up the next morning and head up to Pigeon Forge and do some zip lining and visit Dolly World. 3rd Day more of a relaxation day by the pool. Nice lunch and dinner kind of a low key, maybe drive though the mountains in the evening. We will be doing the ride on a Wed. So hopefully it won't be as touristy then.

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
923 Posts
Doing something like that on someone else's bike, for me, would cut the fun factor in half. So I would take my own, no matter the extra cost.

A story that starts with, "that dude's bike I rented was cool" somehow rings hollow.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doing something like that on someone else's bike, for me, would cut the fun factor in half. So I would take my own, no matter the extra cost.

A story that starts with, "that dude's bike I rented was cool" somehow rings hollow.
I'ts basically the same bike as mine. Just a bit smaller of a motor. Saves me the hassle of a trailer, and the worry of it being stolen when I drop the trailer to go out on the town. I'm sure I'll have many more journey's on my own bike down the road when the kiddos are grown and out of the house.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
98 Posts
Have ridden it a few times. Back in the 80s it was nice but these days it's full of squids on sportbikes riding over their heads, alot of poser types on cruisers that are inexperienced as well. 18 wheelers make very wide turns across both lanes. It's become a bit of a tourist thing.
Blue ridge parkway is a better ride.

The squid on the race rep in the video I posted did not have any margin to cope with an 18-wheeler across both lanes, especially where the corners are blind. Been there, done that. Only it was a tractor with trailer blocking the road. Involved lots of hurt.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Strider,
Why don’t you just join us at the rally in September?
We’ve ridden it four times on our 950’s, it was fun and you have to worry more about the other people as JT referred to. Our 950’s handled the road very well. It’s a bit over hyped, but not difficult in my opinion. Key thing to remember is, ride it at your pace and not at pace of everyone else around you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great road. I drove it in my convertible Crossfire on a club ride. Many clubs ride there. It can get backed up sometimes and there is usually a lot of law enforcement and photographers around the next corner. Drive safe and have fun.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,625 Posts
Looking to surprise my wife with a trip to Tennessee in Sept. Thinking about trailering my bike with us and doing the "Tail of the Dragon, Deals Gap." Curious if anyone on here has ridden this amazing road. What to expect. Is there traffic backed up. Exc. Tell me your experience if you have concurred this road. Thanks.
View attachment 96143
Have rode it a few times. I think you’ll find a general consensus on a few points.
1. Try your best to stay away from Fri thru Sun. It gets very busy with various groups such as Corvette Club, Mustang Club, Viper Club, crotch rockets and the list goes on ad Infinitum.
2. On weekdays you have to watch for semi’s or camper rigs who ignore or miss the warning signs to NOT GO THAT WAY.
3. It’s a really cool route with a lot of notoriety and I think everyone should do it once. There is another route not far from there called “The Rattler” with 290 curves in 24 miles.
IMHO the Rattler is far more technically challenging than the tail and much better scenery IF YOU DARE look at it.
4. Weather & temps in that area change rapidly and sometimes unexpectedly so pack accordingly and keep a close eye on changing conditions.
5. Lastly... ride your own ride and enjoy! Passing through is tough because some of the best motorcycle routes in the nation are right in this area.

·
Administrator
13,890 Posts
rode it on my 950 back in '10. the guy behind me said sparks were flying out from my floorboards at every turn that it looked like sparklers taped to my bike. there is a company that sits on the side of the road that takes EVERYBODY'S picture and then uploads them to a site for you to purchase.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I agree with Keith. Alot of hype but a must do for sure. I ride this road a few times a year except this year, not yet anyway.
You should plan if possible to attend our rally in September.
I would also suggest my favorite road the Cherohala skyway.
I have many videos of tail from beginning to end. Deals gap to the bridge past the dam.
Like Keith mentions, ride your own ride, know your limitations and don’t try to keep up with no one. There is a tree of shame at deals gap that is reminder.
There are a lot of cops and rangers so be careful. There are many tents that are set up that take HD photos that you can view and buy.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Rich is correct in suggesting the Cherohala Skyway. It’s well maintained, very scenic, and a two state view. When we head to the tail of the dragon, we ride the skyway on the way there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Don't understand the allure of an overcrowded/tourist trap road with blind curves possibly blocked or partially obstructed with all manner of trailered vehicles, with hordes of sport bikes passing all over the place.
That's a never-do for me.

I can say that taking your own bike is a great idea though. I rented a Street Glide and took my daughter down US 1 from Monterey, CA and going from a Vstar 1300 to the weight of the Street Glide was a bit much to get used to, especially on a strange road with lots of curves and hills. We had fun, but it was a little stressful managing a new to me bike.

·
Registered
99 Roadie
216 Posts
It's not always like that, there are times when the traffic is light and it's a great road. 90% if the riders are courteous, but there's always a few who act like it's a track day.
It's a gamble.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts