Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend I'll be riding with other riders. I've never ridden in formation with other bikes. Being new all of my riding has been solo. I assume there are rules when riding in formation, other than simply not wrecking into the bike next to you. Would like to know what the unspoken rules of the road are when riding with others.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Divide the lane of traffic in half pick a side and stick to it.
Modulate your speed carefully to avoid inch worming the entire group.
Whenever the group stops use the bathroom.
Start at the back of the pack. Yeah I know, "If your not the lead dog the view never changes" but it's a good place to learn.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A slight variation on Fulltilt1....

The group rides I've done have generally been in a staggered formation, meaning the lead bike is on side of the traffic lane, then the next bike follows them but on the other side of the traffic lane. No two bikes generally ever ride side-by-side; more of a zig zag.

Depending on the size of the group, riding in back will let you see what's happening, but it can also be the fastest group because of the nature of a group ride. As the front sets the pace, there will longer gaps between bikes the further back you go, therefore forcing you to ride faster to close the gaps.

This is a good guide to follow:

http://www.arng.army.mil/soldierresources/guardsafety/Documents/Motorcycle Safety/MSF Quick Tips Group_Ride.pdf

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
LOL Staggered that's the word couldn't think of it yesterday. Oh Yeah don't get overly ambitious. LOL Last group ride I was on bout 20 riders n spouses, every 5 min someone had to use the bathroom, dropped a lighter, couldn't get in their pocket for chapstick/lipstick. If you're with a group that rides together then they know the rules and just follow along. Have a great time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL Staggered that's the word couldn't think of it yesterday. Oh Yeah don't get overly ambitious. LOL Last group ride I was on bout 20 riders n spouses, every 5 min someone had to use the bathroom, dropped a lighter, couldn't get in their pocket for chapstick/lipstick. If you're with a group that rides together then they know the rules and just follow along. Have a great time.
Funny you should mention the bathroom break. I told my GF that I'm only having one cup of coffee that morning, instead of my normal 2-3 cups, just so I don't have to be the one asking to pit stop every 30 minutes.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Staggered formation on the straightaways, take your own line in the curves (single file).
Never feel that you have to go faster to keep up... that is why there is a "sweeper" at the back of the pack.
Ride at your own pace and if it looks like someone behind is getting antsy, pull over to the curb side of the lane to allow them room to pass.
The last couple of times I rode in a group we stopped about every 30 mins anyway... coffee, restroom, waiting for the back to catch up. It was actually factored into the ride (I personally got a bit bored. Too much like American Football... all that stopping and starting - and let the hate mail begin! ;))
On a more serious note, have fun! :D:D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Staggered formation on the straightaways, take your own line in the curves (single file).
Never feel that you have to go faster to keep up... that is why there is a "sweeper" at the back of the pack.
Ride at your own pace and if it looks like someone behind is getting antsy, pull over to the curb side of the lane to allow them room to pass.
The last couple of times I rode in a group we stopped about every 30 mins anyway... coffee, restroom, waiting for the back to catch up. It was actually factored into the ride (I personally got a bit bored. Too much like American Football... all that stopping and starting - and let the hate mail begin! ;))
On a more serious note, have fun! :D:D
I enjoyed your response up until you insulted the greatest sport on earth. May the football gods have mercy on you. But seriously, thanks for all the responses. I'm excited for my first group ride.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I enjoyed your response up until you insulted the greatest sport on earth.
No, I think you're mistaken about that. I read her post a couple times over and she never mentions hockey at all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hockey is boxing with sticks. Lots of fun to watch!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Most of the rides around here (Star Club, Marine Corp league etc) have quick rider meetings before they start. They discuss safety, road rules etc. I would imagine that is routine for most group rides. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Lol I've never been to a Boxing Match and some Hockey broke out!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
This weekend I'll be riding with other riders. I've never ridden in formation with other bikes. Being new all of my riding has been solo. I assume there are rules when riding in formation, other than simply not wrecking into the bike next to you. Would like to know what the unspoken rules of the road are when riding with others.
Well did ya go? How was it? :confused:
and of coarse pictures or it didn't happen... :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts