Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering adding a tank bib to my V-Star 1100 Custom to cover up a scratch, it would look exactly like this photo, flames and all.

I was told by an individual that a tank bib might look nice, but would eventually ruin my paint job because the paint underneath it would not fade at the same rate as the rest of the uncovered paint. I keep the bike in my garage, and I don't anticipate it sitting in the sun for long periods. Is there anything to this theory or did this guy not know what he was talking about?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Over time dust trapped under it will eventually basically sand the top of your tank. You can combat by removing the tank bib every time you clean your bike and wiping down the underside of the bib. If your using it to hide a scratch then i guess it is cheaper than having the tank painted. The tank bib looks nice and is functional. If you plan on just leaving it for good then it doesnt really matter if the paint gets a little scuffed up under it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
tank bib

I have owned my bike for just over a month and it has the studded bib. So far I have lifted it twice and put a heavy coat of wax on the tank and have not seen any scratches yet, but I dont know how long the bib has been on the bike. I like the look of it and it holds my cell phone nice and snug.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts