Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering why a lot of Yamaha owners take the emblems off their tank? I could understand if ya got a custom paint job. But I think they look pretty good. Makes it not look like a Harley!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Debadging vehicles & motorcycles has been a common thing since the beginning of the hot rod era.

I can't begin to count the number of cars and trucks I've debadged and dechromed over the years. Can't say I've done the same as much to motorcycles though ... depends on the badge and position.

One thing I HATE left on a vehicle is the friggin dealer's sticker and dealer labelled licence plate holders .... GONE in 60 seconds!

Some of the "badges" that are individual letters such as P O N T I A C or B U I C K or F O R D .... I'll take them and make up other words such as C R A P, etc and stick them on my toolbox LOL

I used to have a 2006 Royal Star Midnight Venture. Kept all the badges on it and added one.... "Limited Edition" ... a generic chrome plastic sticker from Walmart ... the guy who bought the bike thought he was really getting something LOL

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I bought my 06 Roadie, the guy said he took them off so it looked more like a harley. I was thinking to myself, why did you buy the yamaha if you really wanted a harley LOL. Needless to say his new bike was a harley lowrider. So I guess he finally got the bike he wanted.

·
Super Moderator
6,367 Posts
I agree that sometimes it's the positioning of the emblems.
My grandfather hated it when he bought a new car and they left the dealer name and/or license plate frame on it. They all disappeared rather rapidly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am into older cars and things, I think the emblems on the vstar 1300 look like an old car. Guess that is why I like them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I usually leave them. Except the dealer stuff. Took it off in the parking lot 30 seconds after the put the plate bracket and stickers on it, even asked them for sum glass cleaner to get the sticker glue off. Lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agreed with the dealer stickers being junk, especially hate when they're on bikes...but the STAR on the side of my classic is okay, and by no means to i ever wish to imitate a harley, STAR and proud, i just keep it on there because it looks good...as far as vehicles....well a clean rear end looks alot better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to leave my dealer bracket on until I got my plate in from the DMV. But I took it off and put it with all my paperwork.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I bought my 06 Roadie, the guy said he took them off so it looked more like a harley.
When I bought my used '05, it was already debadged. The only place it says Star is on the windshield bracket and it has the Yammy pitch-fork emblem on the speedo. I do like the clean look but I had someone tell me that I did that so people would think it was a Harley. Heck no, If I spent 5x more money for a Harley, it would have the name plastered on the side because I would want everyone to know it was a Harley :grin:

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Man! That "wish it was a Harley" mentality irks me! Non-riders seem to think that if we ride something else, it's because we can't have a Harley for whatever reason. And I even read posts by riders saying things like "almost as good as..." or "sounds just like..." or "one of these days..."! I've been riding for 40+ years, owned many bikes, and I don't ride a Harley because I don't want one! Not only do I not want one of their motorcycles, I don't want to be a part of that social phenomena. You gotta hand it to their marketing people, they're workin' it, baby! And people who want to buy their way into an "exclusive" club go to a dealership that is designed to be a place for cool people to hang out...where the coffee bar and accessories areas are bigger than the bike sales area! With wannabe's strutting around like badasses!
No thanks!
Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I still have the VStar emblems on my tank. I will leave them, as I like them, and they let everyone know what I'm riding. I always wanted a Harley, Softtail. And to be honest, that was what first attracted me to the VStar. That Hardtail look. I luv my 1100, am damn proud to be ridin it. Great Ride! But I do have to confess that I still haven't taken off all the stickers on the frame rails yet. Call me lazy. I'll get around to it some day. Doesn't effect the ride one bit.

·
Registered
609 Posts
For myself, I debadged the bike EXCEPT for the tank emblems. I agree they look nice, and since I'm not trying to "hide" what my bike is, I left them. But the front and rear-fender stuff, etc. just too much 'clutter' - I prefer a cleaner "naked" looking bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts