Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha VStar 1100 Silverado
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 2008 V Star 1100 Silverado. I took off my tank and noticed only the right side (side with the ignition key) and saw the tank molding. I looked at the other side of the tank, and it did not have a molding piece.

This is what I am talking about:
Yamaha Motorcycle 2008 OEM Parts Diagram for FUEL TANK | Partzilla.com
Item #44, part number 5EL-24188-00-00

Not sure if both side should have the mold piece? Can someone check their bike and let me know?
Getting ready to order a few odds and ends and just wanted to make sure they were needed.

Many thanks!:)

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
469 Posts
If you will notice, that molding is behind the ignition switch. I believe it is there to keep the key fob from scratching the tank.
I could be wrong about that, but it seems like the logical purpose for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Skypupbob for the response. That is what I was thinking too. I am hoping another 1100 silverado owner will chime in to confirm. I need to order some other odds and ends and just wanted to consolidate my shipping costs :)

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,187 Posts
If you're meaning the molding on the tank pinch weld, around the front curve of the tank, I have one on both sides. I think they are a little different size though. See items 19 and 44 in that diagram.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bill! is there anyway you can post a pic of the #19 on your bike? I just want to make sure I am looking at the correct item, the parts schematic is a bit confusing, especially the description saying it is the side cover molding. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,187 Posts
Sure. But first, pinch weld trim is a fairly standard item, although there are different sizes. So before you go buy something from a Yamaha stock house, just go to Amazon and search for "pinch weld trim". You'll have to figure out a size (colors are available too).

Amazon.com : pinch weld trim

Mine have been on and off a bunch of times, so I can't swear that this is where it would be from the factory. Plus, they get old and fall off easily. But I think the left side would look like this.

On the right side, I do not believe the purpose is for the key scratches. I think it is to protect the head vent hose that is in that area. In fact, the sole purpose of these is to protect hoses and cables from chafing. Maybe due to sharp edges from the sheet metal too.

Mine fall off so easily that I've just stuck one of them at the top center of the tank. No purpose there, but it probably won't fall off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bill! The first pic is the one I was looking for, I have the "key" side, so I will check Amazon.

Reactions: bpounds

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, any idea what size of trim? It looks like Amazon has a variety of sizes..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the great responses...... EYNSTYN, is that the only piece of molding on your tank? I have that piece as well..thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts