Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 xvs950 tank range please

I know mine will be slightly less with the performance mods but i need some rough idea whats normal

full to fuel light on = ?
fuel light to empty = ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
How aggressively do you ride?
Is most of your riding cruising or, riding the Twisties?
At what speeds do you cruise?
Do you have after market holes punched in your fuel filler neck?
What performance mods have you installed?
And more

There are so many variables to consider that even on unmodified bikes the numbers vary.

Additionally. Fuel sensors are like snowflakes, every one is slightly different.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of it town and cruising on motorway, few twisties but not much. so average rider not heavy on the throttle

average 25 mph town 75 mph cruising

I dont need it down to the last few hundred yards or even the last mile lol just a figure i can use as a guide

·
Registered
318 Posts
Keith, don't take this as gospel, but on my 2012 950T the low fuel light comes on around 160 miles and then I figure I've got about another 40 or so miles left. My range is about 200 miles on mostly back roads and some interstate cruising about 75 mph. YMMV

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is this filler mod you talk about?

Anyway after what looked like a fill to brim ( filling is a bitch as it fills goes down n fills again etc lol)
i got 120 miles on full to light on then 30 more to empty

running cobra slashdowns, cobra air intake and cobra fi2000, town riding at around 35mph not high revs and cruising around 80mph a lot of the cruising was done fully loaded with tent etc on. I am lead to believe its a 17l tank ( 3.7 gall) so this equates to an average around 41mpg.

If this is below what it should be and running rich, then do i turn down dial on fi200 which one as i think from left to right its
idle ; mid jets; main jets

·
Registered
434 Posts
Actually that sounds about right for running 80mph fully loaded with camp gear. I get around 200-250 miles running 60-65 with no gear weighing it down. I have the Cobra fi2000, BAK, and Cobra slip-on. Also, I don't get any whistling from the intake referenced in your other post.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2009 950 with V&H slash cut, ams 2000 open circuit fuel manager and I usually fuel up at around 135 miles and take on 2 gallons. Several times I have taken 2 1/4 gallons. Most of my riding is just cruising at about 70 mph.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Hi keith,
The tanks on our 950's hold 4.4 gallons and are estimated to get 45-47mpg riding one up and no extra gear, i.e: tents or passenger. If you're getting 41 mpg with your mods and gear and IMG_3022.JPG cruising at 80mph, you're doing good as NC_Steve says. Since our bikes are fuel injected and not carbed, you won't need a pod kit. Make sure your fi2000 is set for dual exhaust, not 2 into1 like mine. After all of the graphs I've seen and studied, one actually gets more torque with 2 into 1 exhaust. I don't like the looks of it personally, but I'll take the extra torque.
One of my riding buds has a Honda Fury with the BAK, my 950 has the LA choppers XXX air filter kit. The BAK on the Fury sounds wane compared to my XXX kit. I can hear mine sucking air at a red light, and it was the noticeable gain after the cobra slip-on muffler. Here's what my air filter kit looks like. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers fellas, seems the mpg is ok after all. as for the sound well i suppose i will get used to it. Keith the fi2000 came preset what do you recommend changing it to

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
If an owners manual came with it, there are multiple settings for 2 into 1 exhaust, dual exhaust, and aftermarket air filter kit. If you don't have a manual you should be able to find the settings on the Internet, if not, I'll find mine and let you know the settings.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Keith,
Here's the recommended settings with dual exhaust on the Fi2000. See if these setting help. IMG_3023.JPG

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks, will let you know as soon as i get my bike back from the painters

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/18-engine-work/8002-fi2000r-settings-my-v-star-950-a.html

seems a few years ago people were running the settings a lot lower? Did some research and getting a lot of the same messages?

for example

This is my second time using this unit on a Yamaha 950, the first was on a Vstar 950. The recommended settings for the vstar 950 were the same 2.5/7/7 as they are for the bolt. On my old vstar the sweet spot was right around 2.5/3/3. The stock settings are waaay too rich. Google fi2000 vstar 950 and read some of the threads on what settings are working best for most people. The majority are in the 2-4 range. The stock settings may work just fine for you, but they are set way too rich for my bike

My understanding of the way the Fi2000 works is that it only adds fuel and doesn't lean out the stock mapping (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, read this on another forum). The lower the setting, the less additional fuel is added, with 0 being stock and 10 being the most additional fuel you can add. Though I may be completely wrong on that

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
You may have to play with the settings a bit. With my 2 into 1 cobra slip-on, I'm running 2.5/6/3 and it runs great. I live in a very warm and humid area so this works fine. Once we move, I'll have to replay with the settings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yep seems likely that i will have to dial pot 2 and 3 down slightly as i do have a popping on decel and the bike seems to get a little choked up at high revs on fast acceleration

maybe try 2.5; 6; 6 and see were i go from there. or just take it to a dyno centre and ask them to play with it lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update, turned it down to 2.5: 6: 6 and still a smell of petrol at lights on idle and end of exhausts very sooty and signs of running very rich. At the present I have now dropped it to 2.5: 5: 5 lets see what that brings.

consumption has improved however

Have also noticed under hard acceleration it feels jumpy like a novice car driver kangaroo jumping, I dont know if its too much petrol, clutch, gear box (but happens all gears) or belt I have never had a belt drive before so dont know signs of loose belt)

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are you able to get ethanol free fuel? I run it all the time locally and after my upgrades, my bike runs smoother with it. The only mechanic I've ever taken it to highly recommended ethanol free fuel. He said it may cost more, but it was worth it in the long run.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts