Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought that I would start another type of, An Angel was my co-rider, theme and would love to read other's felt experiences with that theme in play...
------------------------------------------------

Let me start by relating my (most SINCERE...) feelings on this particular trip...

I was riding from Toronto, (late April, 2000) Canada to South Myrtle Beach, on my 2000 GL1500 S.E., and had 40 miles ago, turned off the Ohio State Turnpike...heading down South. There was a (possible) T-Storm' cell heading from west to east, that was predicted to cross over my riding route on both Interstate 77 and 74 southbound from the Ohio Turnpike.

I had filled up the tank at the last Ohio Turnpike Service Plaza before I-77's cut off was reached around 19:00 hours. I had intended (at that time, I was still riding during the night/darkness hours...) to travel with most of any traffic much less during the night and make tracks as far South as I could get BEFORE that predicted bad T-storm overran my route....

So...I was 40 miles or so now on I-77 Southbound, and now hungry, turned off at the next cloverleaf, because there was a McDonalds, for fast and quick...'wolf down two McDoubles, with large fries, and a small coke'.

"Ok, I did just that..."...

I had EVERY intention, of riding throughout the night...MAKING TRACKS, rolling rubber...to get as FAR down South, and hopefully from 'under' the width of the storm that was heading my way from the west to the east. Well...that was 'the plan'.

I had been riding (and now the details are important here....) post McDonald's and a full stomach, with the caffeine from the Coke doing its 'thang'... feeling good and alert...ready to put 400 or 500 miles on (hopefully...) at least, before any threat of this coming weather system....THAT WAS THE PLAN...but...with Life...plans can change...from out of 'er, nowhere!

So...on with the narrative...I was doing 60 miles per hour...I never did more than 60, at night...and had dry roads, a nice 64 F non humid riding environment...everything was perfect for a ride South...a few Road Knights, that I could chat with..(C.B. 11 on the GL1500 SE) and settled in for what I thought, was going to be an all-night cruise.....

Things still 'unexplained', and faith-of-heart, must interpret...decided to 'change my plans'....

So...riding at 60...trying to get something 'southern' on the FM Radio...all of a sudden, as if SOMEONE WAS TAPPING MY SHOULDER...'was telling me to get off the road, and take a room for the night...NOW...not in 20 miles...but NOW...NOW...and NOW! I ignored this 'feeling' this tingly feeling at the base of my skull..and kept going. I was TOO CHEAP...to spend $70.00 USF for a friggin' room, when I could just ride, and nap on a picnic table if needed...ain' NO WAY, I was going to stop...lose the time for what? Sleeping? Hell ....NO! Ok....the narrative continues...

I kept riding at 60 miles per hour, down I-77. Then...(I am not exaggerating here....) as if a palm (not really, but strongly perceived ) SLAPPED MY FOREHEAD, and I could quite hear my own true blessed Mother's voice, say; "Joe...STOP NOW...get a room...you need to get off the highway...stop, and get a room and rest!" There was no audible voice, friends...but it was as clear as a bell within my 'inner ear'...

"Holy ****!"...what the heck was that?!?!?!?!?" "Mom?!?!?!?!? Mom?" My mother had been deceased by then, 3 years...bless her Soul! We, as mother and son, had been through life, very close, and I loved her beyond all measure....

I stopped...pulled off at the very next cloverleaf...(I still shake my head in amazement that I did do that...to this day, to this typing this....) and took a room at a Day's Inn that was right off I-77. The next morning, I took advantage of a warm shower and shave, (there was another Mikey D's right next to the Day's Inn...and had the Big Breakfast...and then...happily stuffed and very well rested, returned to I-77 South.

"Ok...road is dry...the desk said that some rain had come in overnight...but the road was dry, with puddles, to the shoulder in places",...so, it had indeed rained...(but I never heard any thunder, unless I was out like a light...!?!....

About 7 miles SOUTH of where I had slept at the 7 Day's Inn, I came up to a whole lineup ...(DANG! I SHOULD NOT HAVE STOPPED, Joe..you IDIOT!)....why did you get off the road...because of a voice? You're losing it....you IDIOT!.....

I got to where all the emergency vehicles...State Troopers, Firetrucks, flat beds...the whole of it...were all over the road and both shoulders...'

...and when I got abreast (crawling with both feet dangling on either side of my 'Wing...I stopped just briefly and asked the traffic directing State Trooper, what had happened...there was so much animal gore, blood, flesh, carcasses on the highway, ON the shouders...in the ditch between the south and northbound lanes,..like a freaking HERD of deer...

...and that was EXACTLY what it was....the huge deer herd was moving because of their sense of impending danger from the drop in air pressure...etc...and there was five cars, one truck, and three bikes all destroyed...in that section of the carnage...twisted wrecks...blood and flesh gore on most of their front grills, the bikes had stoved in from down tubes...blood and gore...animal hair matted under one of the headlights...(I will NEVER forget that scene of road carnage...EVER!)...

The State Trooper said that this herd of deer, was running at full gate, from one side of the farm fields across the north bound lanes, into and past the center ditch, and up and over the Southbound lanes, where those poor souls...the cars, the three bikes, and the Road Knight plowed into those multi-hundred pound living weight carcasses, .and got DESTROYED.... I asked (obviously riding a motorcycle, ..and probably because the officer saw that...honestly answered my question...) did the three riders get badly hurt? He paused...looked me directly into my eyes, and said all three died at the scene....

Friends....if I had of continued that evening...at that time...when he said they got the call...I would have been part of that death scene and carnage. There might have been a FOURTH rider, that went down, and died at the scene....

To this very day, (with absolute sincerity ,..and with absolute spiritual belief...) I totally and fully believe, that my MOTHER, was riding as co-rider with me that night...and said..."Joe...we stop HERE...get a room..." I did...I listened to my mother's spiritual voice, that she was still from Heaven...watching over her two children, myself and my sister, and she saved MY LIFE.....

Friends,...to this very day...I credit my Mother...with having 'tapped me on the shoulder...' and....when having been stubborn...SLAPPED me on my forehead with a Spiritual Hand, and whispered..."GET .....A......ROOM, son...., NOW, at this exit..." I did...and I am here to relate this narrative.... God Bless her, ....

So, what's your (if you feel you have one...) 'An ANGEL was co-riding with me, and here's why I feel that way...' narrative? Do you have one? Let's all of us, share in the reading of that....

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love your post...thanks for sharing your experience!
Thank you. That, I can say was the most eerie thing to have ever happened so far in my life...and I was for sure...'warned' from beyond the 'pale'.....for I would have most certainly met my end, 7 miles further down the highway, that night, had I not stopped, with no prior intention to, and way out of personal character for myself. Totally way out of character....

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring,
2,492 Posts
It was not a voice in my head, but it was the day the Stratoliner would not start at work on 11 Mar 2021. Had the bike started, I may not have been able to relate this short story simply because time and distance would have put me at the scene of a head-on collision on the south bound I-95 Express lanes in Dale City, VA. As it was, the Dodge Avenger that was running from Police entered the wrong way and impacted a Silver Ford Ranger. Both occupants of the evading car died as well as the driver of the pickup seen on the guardrail in the new picture below.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Asphalt Road surface

While trying to start the bike and not yet aware of the crash, I did feel a calm come over me and I decided that I would not be angry over my situation. I called the recovery service and waited for hours for them to arrive at my work. While waiting, I saw the news about a crash on my phone but didn't pay attention to when or where.

Pretty Pillion picked me in her car and told me of the horrific looking crash on her way. It was then that I put two and two together.

Who is to say that I would not have been in that crash had the bike started?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think I can. Makes my hair stand on end and get the goose bump's. I will just say dad came back for a minute.
I most CERTAINLY, believe you...in his 'need' to.... Death, does not end a parent's love for their children...no.

It was not a voice in my head, but it was the day the Stratoliner would not start at work on 11 Mar 2021. Had the bike started, I may not have been able to relate this short story simply because time and distance would have put me at the scene of a head-on collision on the south bound I-95 Express lanes in Dale City, VA. As it was, the Dodge Avenger that was running from Police entered the wrong way and impacted a Silver Ford Ranger. Both occupants of the evading car died as well as the driver of the pickup seen on the guardrail in the new picture below. View attachment 110010

While trying to start the bike and not yet aware of the crash, I did feel a calm come over me and I decided that I would not be angry over my situation. I called the recovery service and waited for hours for them to arrive at my work. While waiting, I saw the news about a crash on my phone but didn't pay attention to when or where.

Pretty Pillion picked me in her car and told me of the horrific looking crash on her way. It was then that I put two and two together.

Who is to say that I would not have been in that crash had the bike started?
Absolutely, Boog! Hmmmm, wonder why it didn't start then, but DID, for the ride to work........did a departed ancestor, late mother or father, pull the 'spark plug', so to speak? That can not be discounted....you look at this picture, and for myself, as I rode past the gore...the vehicle destructions...and you go respectively silent..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I've been lucky and my guardian angel has not had to do that while riding. Or while driving either.

Ride smart. Ride often!
Or...was so subtle...Scrumdown, that you were not EVER aware that you had been in danger... "Nah..I won't ride down that road...something kinda weird about it today..."..... "Just a feeling...."....

·
Registered
397 Posts
As an atheist with no believe in angels, god, or an afterlife, I'd like to lend a perspective. When I first met my ex and we were in our 'honeymoon phase', we had our first big fight over her belief in angels being challenged. She related how her daughter at about age 4 had narrowly escaped drowning, due to her guardian angel. I simply said, "So why does your daughter get a guardian angel, while scores of children drown every day?"

It doesn't make sense to me that even if a god existed why angels would be required to guard people, as though this god wasn't powerful enough to do so on his own. It makes far more sense to me knowing humans have a tendency for confirmation bias, and for filtering their history through these beliefs to falsely conclude events support the beliefs, to conclude fantastic events of angels saving people occurred, rather than perhaps a random coincidence, coupled with a filtered explanation of it.

Also, if angels are saving people, who are even evil people having the same experiences? For instance, Adolf Hitler escaped assassination at least 42 times! Guardian angel?

Religious and superstitious people are especially prone to fantastic explanations for (filtered through a religious bias) for common events. Example: My mother (a fanatical Christian) told me once that she awoke in the night to a crushing pressure on her chest. She said that when she opened her eyes in the dark room she could see a demon sitting on her chest. She cast it way by shouting, "The blood of Jesus!" I did some research on this and discovered this is a common 'occurrence' among believers, that is experiencing some dramatic experience and then filtering the explanation through a superstitious bias, to reach a conclusion that has a simple, rational explanation.

Read here: The Demon on Your Chest and Other Terrifying Tales of Sleep Paralysis

Painting Art paint Art Artist Visual arts

·
Super Moderator
4,108 Posts
I was riding with friends back in 1975. Them on 1000's and 750's and me on my 1974 RD350. I'm about 1/2 a mile behind them and felt vertigo like bike flipping over I catch up and Steve over corrected on a turn and his bike hit a big rock in the gravel and went ass over tea cups.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, as a lapsed Catholic, I DO believe in guardian angels, and the following tales will support my belief...Situation #1 I was on the highway, in town, at night, bound for work, travelling at 70-80 MPH (the speed you have to travel on I 75 to keep from being run over) , when I topped a rise in the highway, to see an idiot, in a disabled, but slowly moving car, in the left-most lane, apparently trying to limp to the other side of the highway. In the next lane, a taxi (remember those?) had slowed almost to a stop , and pulled into my lane. Traffic was to my right, and I was quickly approaching the rear bumper of that taxi, which was slowly accelerating. I was hard on both brakes, seeing that bumper getting closer and closer. Suddenly, the taxi cleared the limping vehicle, and I snapped to the left and passed to an empty lane! I have never raced, and never practiced this kind of maneuver in my life (AFAICR).
Situation #2 Several years later, on a heavier bike, same time of day, same destination, but on I 30 west-bound. Concrete barricades lined much of this stretch of the highway, due to the constant widening or installation of HOV lanes, so the usual 3-4 lanes was narrowed down to two. I was in the right-hand lane, overtaking a BMW sedan. Something told me to slow down and keep an eye on the BMW. When I was @4-5 car-lengths behind it, it's brake lights flared. With a split second glance to my left, I slipped over to the only other available lane. As I passed the BMW, I saw why the driver braked...a sheet of thin , black plastic had wafted over the retaining walls and covered the car's windshield ! Again, a maneuver that I had not trained or practiced for. A few years later, @ 1/4 of a mile further up I 30, on the east bound side, a pedestrian attempted to cross the highway and was hit by multiple vehicles. Hours after the death, body parts, not identifiable as human, were scattered over a 1/4 mile. Take from these stories what you will. as far as my experiences, SOMEBODY is looking out for me!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, as a lapsed Catholic, I DO believe in guardian angels, and the following tales will support my belief...Situation #1 I was on the highway, in town, at night, bound for work, travelling at 70-80 MPH (the speed you have to travel on I 75 to keep from being run over) , when I topped a rise in the highway, to see an idiot, in a disabled, but slowly moving car, in the left-most lane, apparently trying to limp to the other side of the highway. In the next lane, a taxi (remember those?) had slowed almost to a stop , and pulled into my lane. Traffic was to my right, and I was quickly approaching the rear bumper of that taxi, which was slowly accelerating. I was hard on both brakes, seeing that bumper getting closer and closer. Suddenly, the taxi cleared the limping vehicle, and I snapped to the left and passed to an empty lane! I have never raced, and never practiced this kind of maneuver in my life (AFAICR).
Situation #2 Several years later, on a heavier bike, same time of day, same destination, but on I 30 west-bound. Concrete barricades lined much of this stretch of the highway, due to the constant widening or installation of HOV lanes, so the usual 3-4 lanes was narrowed down to two. I was in the right-hand lane, overtaking a BMW sedan. Something told me to slow down and keep an eye on the BMW. When I was @4-5 car-lengths behind it, it's brake lights flared. With a split second glance to my left, I slipped over to the only other available lane. As I passed the BMW, I saw why the driver braked...a sheet of thin , black plastic had wafted over the retaining walls and covered the car's windshield ! Again, a maneuver that I had not trained or practiced for. A few years later, @ 1/4 of a mile further up I 30, on the east bound side, a pedestrian attempted to cross the highway and was hit by multiple vehicles. Hours after the death, body parts, not identifiable as human, were scattered over a 1/4 mile. Take from these stories what you will. as far as my experiences, SOMEBODY is looking out for me!
We are both akin, in Faith of something Greater than ourselves...

My stopping that night...at the hour I did, after a full chow, and topped tank of gas...and that I still to this day, think spending $125-$150 (today's prices) for a bed and shower is...way more than what you 'get back in return'...when (lol) a picnic table top at a rest area, on a self-inflating sleep (camping ) pad, will do the same thing...(wash up splash water on face..in bathroom, keep riding...)....and yet...TOTALLY out of character, and no other reason to stop...had food, didn't need a bathroom, had a FULL tank of gas, less (40 miles or so of depletion)...and with that 'feeling' and that 'perceived, not actual' voice 'in my ear'...I did. I took a room. As you read...I related what was happening shortly as I turned off the exit to the 7 Day's Inn...and I would have ridden right into that, in the dark, as those other's did, and at least three of them are not here today, because they were at the wrong place,, ..and the wrong time.... I got off my bike, ,,..and took my saddle bags into the Inn, 7 (seven) miles north of that carnage and death scene for some, ...safe and sound, safe and sound....

I am not an Atheist. I do have my spiritual Faith. I do believe in what I feel is something, Greater than myself. I do believe in a guiding hand...I do believe that my life is not self-centric, and that I have all the answers I need to muddle through it. As sure as I am typing right now...my spiritual sense, my spiritual alignment, felt my kin, my mother's guiding hand, that was there, my whole life...and that she was indeed sitting behind me, in Spirit for she needed to be...as I am still alive to type this, this morning. I have never had another experience before, or since, as I related in my Narrative. That must mean to me, that I have not (thank the Lord!) been in a situation since, that unknowingly, I might have been at Death's Door, while operating any vehicle...bike, car, boat, R.V....heck, even my farm tractor....

I have had many a time, a last second 'feeling' to "nah...going to take the next exit...nah...not going down that road to the beach today...nah, nah and nah....' so I have not gone down that road while riding...not have taken that exit...but only on a last second feeling/decision to do, or to not do. Never though, since the above, did I have a such STRONG NAGGING and cajoling 'feeling' to GET OFF THE ROAD...for an extended time...night...day, ;even an hour. Not since that time 'my Mother (in spirit), was 'tapping me on the shoulder' from the co-rider's saddle position, or 'reaching around and giving her son one on the forehead' (smile), .."NOW,...Joe, DO I have your attention?!?!?". "Yeah mom...you do..." "Getting off, right here...." Cheers and always ride to RIDE AGAIN!

Joe.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
"Also, if angels are saving people, who are even evil people having the same experiences? For instance, Adolf Hitler escaped assassination at least 42 times! Guardian angel?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------

...yes, if that Guardian Angel, was Satan, himself...looking after his own agent... Yes...and perhaps.

Satan, after all, was and still is, as was created, an angel. He would therefore, also wish to look out for those that act in alignment with his mandate....yep. In this world, Good and Bad co-exist. Evil, and Innocence co-exist. Spiritual beings, with benevolence, or malice, co-exist. Ying and Yang, co-exist. Good and bad Karma, co-exist. So yes...did Hitler perhaps have his Guardian Angel? Unfortunately for the World...I'd say yes....a very evil one..., but yes, House of Pain....yes...

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
1,068 Posts
I know NASA has found evidence of a parallel universe Where they say time would go backwards. What goes on in these other worlds? I am not a religions type guy that thinks saint Peter is waiting at the door to judge me. I am a spiritual person and believe all is possible. Do I think people may be able to cross over, could be.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I can share one, but has nothing to do with motorcycles, religion or superstition. Back in my college days, had an elderly professor who used to joke about having a bad ticker. He ended up having a major heart attack and was rushed to the hospital. He survived but when he came back he told us about having died while doctors and nurses ministered to him. He told about "floating" up to the ceiling and watching the staff frantically working on him. He then floated out to the waiting area where his family and friends were gathered. Then, apparently, a defibrulator pulled him back into his body. Later, in his room, he shocked his family by telling them who he saw and what they said and did. I think that profoundly impacted his views on God and the after-life.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know NASA has found evidence of a parallel universe Where they say time would go backwards. What goes on in these other worlds? I am not a religions type guy that thinks saint Peter is waiting at the door to judge me. I am a spiritual person and believe all is possible. Do I think people may be able to cross over, could be.
A Road Knight, once told me a joke, at a truck stop we took lunch at on my wife's and my way to South Myrtle Beach. It goes like this...;

"A good truck driver...84 years old, a man who was known to always be there for a friend or stranger, fell asleep in Death, and having arrived at Heaven's Gate, was admitted into the presence of Saint Peter, the heavenly administrator to the Gate of Heaven. After a brief moment, this truck driver's spirit was most certainly allowed through the Gate, and upon doing so, saw a very beautiful and BRAND NEW, shiny...Peterbilt tractor!

He asked Saint Peter if he could sit in it, as he NEVER could afford such a fine piece of equipment when alive, ..and during his career. Saint Peter said that it was there for him to DO JUST THAT...ENJOY! Well, this wonderful man, ran over...opened up the door...sat inside on the new leather seat...reached for the key, turned over that power Cummin's, and sat back, listening to the engine purr, ,..and trying out all the controls upon the dash. He then said to Saint Peter; "Well...I'm ready to move on out...get this rig on the road, ,,..and move anything you need to, up here!" Saint Peter said that while that offer of service, was very much appreciated, he might just wish to turn off the rig, and step down...

The driver said; "..why Saint Peter...why should I want to shut her down...don't you have a Heavenly load that needs moving?!?!?"

Saint Peter...smiled...and replied; "Well quite frankly Len, ...we have NEVER had a Dispatcher, that has made it up here, to give somebody one...!!!!!".....
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Automotive parking light

1 - 20 of 30 Posts