Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems as though everyone compares a certain seat to the comfort of the"Mustang". Is it really the gold standard or is there somthing more compfortable seat out there?

How about MeanSeats or Pacific Coast Star? Any experience there. My butt is killing me!:D

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It seems as though everyone compares a certain seat to the comfort of the"Mustang". Is it really the gold standard or is there somthing more compfortable seat out there?

How about MeanSeats or Pacific Coast Star? Any experience there. My butt is killing me!:D
Comfort? Different strokes. This is not what you want to hear, Sugar Bear loves his stock seat and can ride with anyone, anytime and be as fresh (or fresher)at the end of the ride as anyone. I guess it's a personal like and dislike, what fits you best, is the best, others will tell you the best, but that is their" best". Enjoy the ride, ride safe!:)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Mustang seat

Philo,

I have a Mustang seat on my Liner. It is a good seat, as good as any. But I bought it mostly for the passenger seat. The Passenger seat is 2 inches wider and an inch thicker than stock. I had no serious complaints with the stock rider seat. A good seat but I see others just as happy with other after market seats.

While they are some better than stock I think some of the differance is overdone. This time of year in the North we hear a lot about seats. Later in the year when we are toughened up a little some attention might shift to performance. At least worth thinking about?

Dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know this much them seats are EXPENSIVE.....I lucked out and got a deal on a used one from a guy that was selling/trading in his bike....check the classifieds and E-Bay or Craigslist...sometimes a deal is just waiting for you if you have the funds and are ready to buy before someone else snaps it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Best Seat

My wife and I have been riding on the stock and passenger seat for about 18 months. She'd complain after only 45 minutes or so. I got the Ultimate passenger seat about a month ago and now she can go several hours before complaining or needing to stop. Yesterday I rec'd my rider from Ultimate Seats. Did a lot of research first and many say these are better than Mustang, Corbin, Saddlement, etc. Very comfortable seat. Definitely more comfortable than stock. Puts you slightly higher and more forward than stock. More lower back support. And you can get custom stitching, logos, different hides, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I just bought a new vstar 1100 2 weeks ago.The stock seat pushes me fwd as I am taller and sit right at the back.I went to an auto upholstery shop across the street from the yamaha dealer and they said they could shave some of the foam out and put the cover back on for $75 so I am going to try this before I pay 600 for a new seat.I,ll let you know how it works out,but you might wanna check this option out yourself

·
Registered
6 Posts
best seat

I have the ultimate seat for me and pass. pad for my wife. This was the best investment i have made on my bike. the pass. seat is 14 in wide at the back and i have both a 10" and 12" back rest pads for her also now she can last alot longer then before. I love mine also, I have put 1000 miles on in 3 days and still had a rear left. I love this seat. check their web site. If you want any pictures of one on a bike i would send some of mine. It is on a 07 1100 silverado

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have Yamaha's aftermarket Comfort solo seat for me and an Ultimate pillion, and backrest for my girlfriend. Have had the solo seat for many miles and it still feels great.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
the Ultimate Seat for the 950 is 16" wide and the Mustang is 17" wide. they both look the same though the Ultimate is a tad higher in price. just like everyone says, everyone's opinion varies though i think ANY aftermarket seat will be an improvement over the stock seat. the stock seats are made to be cheap. think about it, why would any major bike manufacturer put an expensive seat on their factory models?

found this article that compares some of the major seat brands. form your own judgements, but the consensus between those tested leans toward the Mustang being the best of the bunch.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/cruiser_saddles/index.html

·
Registered
305 Posts
I suppose I will throw in my 2 cents!

I ride a 650 Classic and I had no complaints with the stock seat. My wife, however, was ready to walk after only a few hours on the sorry excuse for a passenger pad that came stock. A buddy of mine has a Mustang seat on his 1100 and let me take it for a ride with my wife. After just a half our on it, she said we have to order one!

I got it a few days later and we now ride all day in total comfort! We have ridden over 500 miles in a day and also did a couple 1200 mile weekends and I have to say it was the best $375 I ever spent!

Also, another buddy of mine put a Corbin seat on his Sportster and pretty much hated it right out of the box. He sold it and bought an Ultimate seat and he says it's as comfortable as his living room chair.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do your research first before you buy.......

Rather than paying the "Big Bucks" for commercial aftermarket seats I went to a custom seat maker. I explained what I wanted and discussed prices for his work vs the commercial seats. I think I'm coming out on the positive side.

I like my stock seat dimensions and seat position. So, I'm having it slightly reshaped and restitched with a memory foam pad insert molded into the center of the seat for a bit more comfort.

After 30 mins on the stock pillion my wife's rocking side to side to relieve the pressure on her pelvis. Shes' tried most of the various pads out there with no success.

So, he is completely rebuilding the pillion pad into a smaller version of the main seat also with a memory foam center for my wife.

We have both been to the shop a couple of times for test fitting our butts into the seats as each molding step takes place.

Both seats will be stitched in yellow thread to complement my existing paint motif. Just a very subtle custom touch but it'll unify the new seats into the overall theme.

I'm expecting a call Friday for them to be finished by this weekend.

Waiting a week for essentially custom seats that can beat the top end commercial seats is the way to go.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Definately a great way to go! I'd love to see some photos of the finished product!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I quit riding bikes in 1975 after riding approx 10 years. My longest ride was from Charleston, S C to Springfield, IL. In Nov I bought a used V star 650 classic, has every thing, windshield, bags, blue lights, hypo-charger, V&H pipes, looks good, sounds extremely good but the seat is awful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I put a new Mustang seat on my 1100 Custom this year, it is a great seat but I prefer the stock seat on long rides. The Mustang seat sucks your butt into one position where as the stock seat you have the freedom to move around anytime time you want. As for the passenger seat... a brick is better than the stock pillion that comes with the bike.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.