Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
341 - 360 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I understand, not a problem. I really like your finished project. What kind of header wrap is that and how much did it help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is just standard black header wrap and it helped a lot because the pipes not have any heat shield on them. I made the pipes and they are just straight drag pipes, no baffle, no heat shield.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It is just standard black header wrap and it helped a lot because the pipes not have any heat shield on them. I made the pipes and they are just straight drag pipes, no baffle, no heat shield.
I made my pipes too (photo below) and wrapped the first half. The wrap really does a good job of cooling down the pipes outer surface. I'm wondering if you have considered installing a 'lolly-pop' baffle? This is what I did and it improved/provided for some needed back pressure and it sounded better (less obnoxious). Do some research on it if you're curious, but it's easy to make them and I read you want them 6" from the pipe end/tips which is what I did and I had a bend in the pipe to get mine past and still pulled it off.

As for the 'lollypop baffle' mine were similarly made to this photo:

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
Thanks for the information Mark T, I’ve used both the fiberglass wrap and the volcanic ash wrap. I like the fiberglass one better. When I did the engine swap on my Tahoe, I used the fiberglass wrap on the exhaust manifolds. Big difference in the heat under the hood and that was 4 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
Good job on your bobber! Nice to see a rear fender with so many leaving them off, and the rack makes it look 'old school'. I like the white letter tires.

A few suggestions:
Consider some tan leather grip covers to match your seat. I made some for a bike of mine and it's fairly easy if you buy the leather, cut it to fit and lace it up right (might have to buy a leather punch and learn how to lace, but that's all available online).

Have you thought about painting the headlight bucket to match your tank & fender? Doing so makes it look like the headlight was supposed to go there, not like an add-on.

Consider painting the final drive. I did mine easy in one weekend and it makes a LOT of difference if its black. I recommend a satin black over flat or glossy.

Lastly, sorry, but your tank looks boring. There are some good vinyl graphic these days fairly cheap, or consider some quality penstripe graphics. I've included a link you can check out. I bought from them before and they are quality and even have pinstripes specifically made for your Yamaha! You can choose what colors you want too!

Old School V-Star 650 and 1100 pinstripe decal kit

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good job on your bobber! Nice to see a rear fender with so many leaving them off, and the rack makes it look 'old school'. I like the white letter tires.

A few suggestions:
Consider some tan leather grip covers to match your seat. I made some for a bike of mine and it's fairly easy if you buy the leather, cut it to fit and lace it up right (might have to buy a leather punch and learn how to lace, but that's all available online).

Have you thought about painting the headlight bucket to match your tank & fender? Doing so makes it look like the headlight was supposed to go there, not like an add-on.

Consider painting the final drive. I did mine easy in one weekend and it makes a LOT of difference if its black. I recommend a satin black over flat or glossy.

Lastly, sorry, but your tank looks boring. There are some good vinyl graphic these days fairly cheap, or consider some quality penstripe graphics. I've included a link you can check out. I bought from them before and they are quality and even have pinstripes specifically made for your Yamaha! You can choose what colors you want too!

View attachment 101877
Old School V-Star 650 and 1100 pinstripe decal kit
Good morning House O'Pain, I actually have thought about doing some work on my tank. Not sure pinstriping is the way I want to go but I definitely want to add something to make it stand out. Not sure if you read my other post, but the bike is completely torn apart right now so yes, painting the headlight bucket and final drive is on my to do list. As for the tan grips, I originally had some brown Cole Foster grips and I didn't like the way it looked so I switched to black. I appreciate the suggestions, I will post some pictures after the rebuild.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pretty much finished with the latest project. Still need to figure out the speedo sensor, but the cold snap last week has derailed a lot of my immediate plans. I am really happy with the LaRosa springs/struts for the seat. I found that with springs on the seats as well as the internal shock, I would get launched when hitting bumps. I had to some cutting to make it work, but its perfect now. Can't wait for some warmer weather to come through.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Pretty much finished with the latest project. Still need to figure out the speedo sensor, but the cold snap last week has derailed a lot of my immediate plans. I am really happy with the LaRosa springs/struts for the seat. I found that with springs on the seats as well as the internal shock, I would get launched when hitting bumps. I had to some cutting to make it work, but its perfect now. Can't wait for some warmer weather to come through. View attachment 104015 View attachment 104016 View attachment 104017
Nice clean look. Where abouts in Texas are you?

341 - 360 of 391 Posts