Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

coldest temperature will you ride? (in Fahrenheit)

• above 50

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • 40-50

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • 30-40

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • 20-30

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • below 20

Votes: 7 10.0%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
16,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some have to put away their rides for months every winter. some will only be prohibited by snow or ice. weather permitting, what is the coldest that you have or will consider riding in?

·
Registered
652 Posts
35 clear and dry but it was a short one it last year on New Years it does a number on your chrome not worth it ! But my roadliner love the cold it runs great !!!scared the crap out of a lady when I pulled up With my neoprene skull facemask on!!! LOl

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts
A group that I was with on a 3 day trip in Tennessee 2 years ago got up on 2nd day and it was 32 and foggy, we had to ride to make it to next destination, it was cold but it was the most memorable part of the trip. People still talking about how fun it was.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've personally voted in the 40-50* range, but the subject caused me to reflect on a past experience.

Years ago when I commuted to work in the Twin Cities I daily met a fellow riding his Harley in the opposite direction. The only days that I did not meet him were when snow or ice prevented safe riding. I vividly recall leaving home one morning when my thermometer read 40 below, and I met him on the road that morning. I suppose that the bike was kept in a heated garage to start it, but am surprised that an air cooled engine would run well at such a low temperature.

·
Administrator
16,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when i had to take the highway to work for my previous job i set my riding limit to about 35-40. now i don't have to go above 50mph and stay on streets so the lowest temp i was in was leaving work with temp at 28 degrees which is about as cold as it gets in Austin.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For me its 40-50. I'm gettin older and don't need feel the need to be on the bike if I'm not going to be really comfortable and actually enjoy it. 20 years ago I'd have probably ridden through a blizzard...:D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
when i was in Georgia rode in temps around 30-35. Didn't even know it got that cold down there. was about 65 today here in southwestern PA, a bit windy and overcast, but couldn't resist. had to put the seats back on and take it out for a short 20 mile jaunt. Couldn't imagine a ride at any temps below "0".

·
Registered
252 Posts
It really don't matter to me how cold it gets. I love to ride so the colder is gets, the more clothes I buy. I did ride with 4 layers, chaps, and all my leather one time about 3 weeks ago. I still froze but I didn't care. I was living free!! I live to ride!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I just had this discussion today with one of my friends who rides as well..

40-50...Sometimes lower..It is weird, some days it will be low 40 s and I will be perfectly fine, but some days at the same temperature I will be freezing my ass off, so 40-50, lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
40-50 for me. I like to enjoy riding or else I just drive and turn the heat on. Being a popsicle by the time I get to me destination is not my idea of fun :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm going to be 62 this year so it's 50 and above. I'll leave that colder weather to you younger guys and gals.

:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
It was 37 the day I first brought my Roadie home from around 25 miles away. I layered up and rode it in.. windchill was estimated to be around 10 degrees. Wouldn't do it every day unless I had a Winter suit made for snow mobiles but wasn't that bad. As a rule, if it's over 40 I'll scoot around town.

Like B__S said, under that and I put my pickup on.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts