Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

coldest temperature will you ride? (in Fahrenheit)

• above 50

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • 40-50

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • 30-40

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • 20-30

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • below 20

Votes: 7 10.0%
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
The coldest I've been was during a Michigan Fall rain. The kind that when you are standing there it is just mist, but at speed it feels like a shower. It was forty degrees and I had jeans and my leather jacket with my full face helmet. Water was filling up my boots lol I road in that for an hour before my joints screamed at me for being cold, I have mild arthritis, so I got some hand warmer packs. Stuffed one in each glove over the back of my hand, and then got some sticky ones and stuck em to the inside of my pants over my knees. Overall, it had no real effect, unless you count the placebo effect haha! I've ridden at fifteen degrees, clear and sunny and I felt warmer. As long as it ain't snowing or icy, I'll ride!

·
Registered
782 Posts
The day I bought my stratoliner in late oct. early nov. it was 27 degrees and I had to ride it one 35 miles. With the right gear it wasn't that cold. But. Would say anything more than 15 mins I would say above 40.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
For me its 40-50. I'm gettin older and don't need feel the need to be on the bike if I'm not going to be really comfortable and actually enjoy it. 20 years ago I'd have probably ridden through a blizzard...:D
+1 Couldn't have said it better myself :D

·
Registered
2009 VStar 950 Tour XVS95C 94,175 Miles
40 Posts
N.E. Georgia yesterday morning 29 deg.

The temp was 29 yesterday morning as I started out on my Daily 31 mile trip to work. Thank goodness the ground was to warm for ice to form except for a few spots. Bridges and overpasses had dries due to 10 - 15 mph wind, fingers were throbbing a bit when I finely reached the shop, but all in all a nice ride.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Rode all day today once it crested 40. Went up to 52 and I wasn't the only one on my bike... Just local riding but man, it's January... no way I'm missing out riding when the weather does this :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rode a Frozen Toe Rally New Years Day. Left my house at 26 degrees and icy. Had good gloves, but during the (slow) 30 min ride to the meeting point I lost feeling in my hands and had the back wheel squirl twice. After that it warmed up to mid to upper 30's and sunny (which then felt like 60 the rest of the day) it was great.

Now I have plug in gloves for longer rides in the 30's, but I ride all the time in the low 40's here in NW Washington right now. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
30-40 deg works for me, black ice is just around the shady corner up here. I like the no dents approach to my bike, not to mention rehab :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sometimes I think we only do things so we have something to talk about in our later years. When I bought my bike it was Jan 30th and I had 3000 miles to ride home. Thefirst day from Fresno up the mountain to Barstow was cold but not like the below 0 degree wheather I hit from Nogales to Hermasillo. With the wind chill factored in I would guess it was 5-10 below at 60 mph and no leatherrs. Coldest days of my life. I thought my chest would freeze, but I survived and now I get to tell about it. Thanks for the memory!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey guys and gals, doing good up here in Maryland, was riding constantly until about 2 weeks ago when all the nasty white crap started coming at us, So now dealing with ice and salt on the roads. Each day has been an adventure or a quick judgment call, the ice frozen streams running down my driveway have kept me alive in my truck for the last few days. But I plan on getting on tomorrow, were supposed to have a heat wave around mid 40's. I have worn my heated gloves whenever below 40, and not regretted it. Been out as low as a 21 degree dry morning, no prior rain to leave me surprises like my oops with black Ice last Feb 12. I still hurt from that one so I guess I'm being a bit more conservative this year. Now last week, we had that giant rain storm come across the country, from the gulf of mexico all the way up into Ny, I made it 30 miles towards home, all dry and happy, then I hit the edge of that storm, with no small drops for warning, I felt like I got hit in the face with a firehose full stream, I couldn't see anything, but a cage driver saved my tail, I maintained my horizon by watching this guys tail lights at about 100 feet, squished my way another 7 miles in the heaviest rain I have ever ridden in, I had water everywhere. Hung up the gear that night, it took two days to dry out, chaps where plastered, gloves, you couldn't get them on, boots soggy, cloths right into the washer. Now I am going to try the rain X on my faceshield on the scorpion 100 half shell helmet, it don't fog, but the rain was heavy enough that I just couldn't see, had to hold left hand up to guard my eyes after putting the shield in the up position. I wear a balaclava on colder than 30's otherwise a neck gator for 35-45. open face all other times. I think heat wave when we are low 40's and up.
Be safe people spring is coming.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I bought my Roadie back in 2010, I rode it home in February, 50 miles in winter weather .. heavy frost in the air, around 20 degrees F. I didn't have winter gloves, so I wore snowmobile mitts instead. The friend who followed me home (with his empty motorcycle trailer) said I hit a few patches of sand and the rear wheel tweaked a bit, but I was cold enough not to notice.

Like many, if the roads are clear, I'm riding as long as the bike will run.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I grew up in Northern Minnesota and used to snowmobile in -20 below.
I once drove my Maxim 650 through 200 miles in 30-40.

I'm older and damnit- I moved south! 40- 50 for me. I'll ride a little colder in the AM if the weather will get warm in the PM on the way home.

BacknSaddle

·
Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
1,959 Posts
This must be the resurrection of the year :)

My coldest ride was in -15C / 5F - in thick fog. That was cold enough that after 8 miles, my glasses had frozen stuck to my cheeks. But I have ridden several winters on ice and through snow.
Playing with my 550 lb Virago, running circles and figure eights, was more hard work than fun, though.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts