Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

2221 - 2240 of 2323 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,238 Posts
I told her it was too nice to work inside today. She agreed. Besides, I need some more materials and nothing is open on Sunday around here anymore that sells it. And this is Victoria Day weekend, our version of Memorial Day.

Yeah, I like the app so far. Now that I see how it fits the stops and pics in, I'll be able to log more next time. I didn't take any pics at all our rest stops or when we stopped for lunch (felt nice to sit down in a restaurant and eat again). I'm calling this a test run.

Overall we did 309 km (192 miles) in total. Definitely some much needed wind therapy. That long straight road at the start follows an old railway line so yeah, it's pretty straight. Most aren't that straight though. We're planning another ride to St Andrews on Friday (coastal resort town) that should be about the same distance, depending on the route we take.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Glad you are liking the app! Great ride it looks like. On that long of a ride how was battery life on the phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to get out this afternoon and take a nice short ride. Finally took the effort to count the turns on Natchez Trace on the stretch between Hwy 96 and Leipers Fork exit, thats the little out and back on the ride video. 51 turns on that roughly 8 mile stretch, lots of long sweeping turns.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Left today at 10:30am and returned home at 7pm. Met up with a buddy and two other guys rolled up while we were discussing where to go. They ended up riding along with us and we had a great ride, and made a couple of new friends. It was a little windy but nice and sunny and overall a great day for riding. I used the Relive app and it turned out pretty good. I only took a few pics so there are only a couple of stops noted. Now that I've used it I'll know better next time. Here's the link if you want to check it out.

Nice ride. Thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,658 Posts
got out for a 40 mi. jaunt along the south shore of Lake Ontario. Was a bit chilly with the wind of the lake that is still in the 40's. Stopped in a state park to take a pic to commemorate the day! View attachment 94321
I like the shot with flowers and water in background, spring is here.

·
Super Moderator
3,238 Posts
Glad you are liking the app! Great ride it looks like. On that long of a ride how was battery life on the phone?
I have a USB plug so I kept my phone plugged in. I tried Scenic before I put the USB on my bike and it would kill my battery in about an hour. I'm not sure how Relive would work. I do know my phone was warm when I took it off the holder to take pics.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Had a nice ride yesterday.
I've owned my Nomad since January and have been able to ride at least once a week since then.
Yesterday was the first time I rode without a 15 - 20 mph wind. What a difference.

Guess I can't complain since I have been able to ride while many of you Northern guys have just been looking at the snow.
Riding season is here !

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
596 Posts
Took a ride along the beach yesterday and shot a little video. Shot with a Hero original. Mounted on the front facing side of my windshield. Gets a little wind noise up there, and I think it vibrates more too. Image stabilization doesn't do much good for vibration. Anyway, if you want to see some palm trees, take a look.

First video,
Starts out as I enter the Ballona Wetlands Ecological Reserve.
@ 3:00 I reach the Playa Del Rey business area. Cop tries to merge into me on that parallel left turn. Which is why I always prefer to be on the inside lane of those corners.
@ 3:45 you can see the beginning of Dockweiler State Beach. Hollywood loves filming along that beach, so you've all seen it before on film. Dockweiler sits at the end of the runways for LAX, which would be on my left here. Good place to view planes taking off, but currently, on a Sunday morning, not much of that going on.
@ 6:45 you can see row after row of mostly class A motorhomes. That is normally a campground, but the county has taken it over and filled it with those RV's. The plan was to use them as beds for Covid stricken patients, if the hospital capacity was filled. Which of course did not happen. Will they use them for forced quarantine? For homeless? For nothing?
Somewhere around 7:30 to 8:30 I ran out of gas and switched over to reserve. Can't really tell myself from the video.
Ends with me pulling into a Manhattan Beach gas station.

Continuing after I filled with gas, I turned into an alley behind Manhattan Beach front apartments. As you can see, all parking is closed, and the short stub roads down to the actual beach are blocked. A couple of places I turned the wheel to get a view of the water.
@ 3:30 at the stop, I missed 1st gear and tried to take off in 2nd. And that is steep right there too.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,658 Posts
Great video of ride. You sure was a good boy around the cop. :ROFLMAO: :D

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
596 Posts
Yeah, especially after he tried to run me over. The place was swamped with cops though, the city is only begrudgingly allowing the public onto the beach. Just opened a week ago. And my take on it is that they only really allowed local residents onto the sand, because they got together and started street protests. Thus all the parking lots are still closed, street parking blocked, etc. I believe the protests spooked the Mayor and Governor.

I also rode down to the Port of Long Beach, and got a distant view of the USS Iowa Battleship. Rode over the Vincent St Thomas bridge. Got a little video, but kind of dark so I haven't done anything with it. Needs a lot of editing for length.

·
Super Moderator
3,238 Posts
Got out for another ride today. Rode down to Alma by Fundy park to get some famous sticky buns. Every public washroom in town was closed except one at a public building. I used the Relive app again and discovered when you forget to take it off pause before riding you get to ride "as the crow flies" - lol. Oh well, another lesson learned. It was a little chilly today at only 14C (57F) and the wind was cold. Not bad in the sun but we lost that before we got to Alma and it's always few degrees colder there. So we only did 140 km (87 miles). My wife's first ride of the season.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,566 Posts
I have a USB plug so I kept my phone plugged in. I tried Scenic before I put the USB on my bike and it would kill my battery in about an hour. I'm not sure how Relive would work. I do know my phone was warm when I took it off the holder to take pics.
Not sure what phone you have. I have iPhone 7+ and running Relive AND taking short videos and pictures it’ll last me about 8 hours.
Since I have the paid version of the app, I can insert photos & videos from my helmet cam at desired points. That takes the pressure off my phone and then it’ll last about 11hrs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not sure what phone you have. I have iPhone 7+ and running Relive AND taking short videos and pictures it’ll last me about 8 hours.
Since I have the paid version of the app, I can insert photos & videos from my helmet cam at desired points. That takes the pressure off my phone and then it’ll last about 11hrs.
I have not tried Relive, but use Eat sleep Ride, Rever and one from Harley Davidson ( I know, sacrilege) and these have a free version.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Took my youngest daughter out for some wind therapy today. She’s a senior graduating HS this year and with all the stuff going on right now it’s been a stressful year. She’s the valedictorian of her class but they don’t even get to graduate until middle of July even though school officially ends this week. They are filming a virtual graduation just in case the in person one gets cancelled.

So she needed a little relaxation and therapy on the bike. Unfortunately it was already getting late when we took off and the wind was picking up a lot. Looks like the next seller is going to be hit or miss with the weather predicting rain through Memorial Day. Ugh, April showers are supposed to bring May flowers but they can’t grow if it doesn’t stop raining for the sun to come out.

Anyways, short ride, she shot the video on one of the backroads we took.

·
Super Moderator
3,238 Posts
It may not drain my battery. I know Scenic did but it also kept my screen lit up, working like a GPS. With Relive it sleeps until I touch it. I got the USB because of how hard Scenic was on my battery and I just plug my phone in now whenever I put it in the mount. Maybe I'll try Relive with it off to see if it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,566 Posts
I have not tried Relive, but use Eat sleep Ride, Rever and one from Harley Davidson ( I know, sacrilege) and these have a free version.
Most of them have a basic mode which is free but the full version you have to pony up some $.
I’m surprised you found ANYTHING that is Harley Davidson and free. I thought HD stood for Hundred Dollars!
Something bout that whole thing seems to be an oxymoron!

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,566 Posts
Took my youngest daughter out for some wind therapy today. She’s a senior graduating HS this year and with all the stuff going on right now it’s been a stressful year. She’s the valedictorian of her class but they don’t even get to graduate until middle of July even though school officially ends this week. They are filming a virtual graduation just in case the in person one gets cancelled.

So she needed a little relaxation and therapy on the bike. Unfortunately it was already getting late when we took off and the wind was picking up a lot. Looks like the next seller is going to be hit or miss with the weather predicting rain through Memorial Day. Ugh, April showers are supposed to bring May flowers but they can’t grow if it doesn’t stop raining for the sun to come out.

Anyways, short ride, she shot the video on one of the backroads we took.

Hey Matt, how are you calling a 32 mile ride a “Long ride”?
Just asking. 🤔

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Matt, how are you calling a 32 mile ride a “Long ride”?
Just asking.
I didn’t, she did. When we got home she was like wow, that was a nice long ride....I then told her it was 32 miles and she was like oh, never mind.....my way of picking at her.

That’s the longest she’s ever ridden with me.

2221 - 2240 of 2323 Posts