Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

2541 - 2560 of 2595 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,981 Posts
Today daughter needed to go to Dothan, Alabama. So we did a speed run , no stops except gas. 290 miles , on the way back we had 100 miles rain.
Sounds like a nice run. Plus you got cooled off with the rain and a free shower. Sounds like a win-win.

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
574 Posts
I was fortunate to ride to work in the rain this morning. Unlike the other day, I had on my Viking Weatherproof suit and got not a drop of wetness inside. It is good to have quality gear.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Down here as long as it is raining wearing raingear is fine, but god help you if it stops. We got just west of Crestview and it quit and the sun came out, the temp rose 30 * , I had to pull over on the side of the interstate and peal it off quickly.I couldn't wait till I could get 2 miles to the exit , we were on fire.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Down here as long as it is raining wearing raingear is fine, but god help you if it stops. We got just west of Crestview and it quit and the sun came out, the temp rose 30 * , I had to pull over on the side of the interstate and peal it off quickly.I couldn't wait till I could get 2 miles to the exit , we were on fire.
That is no joke brother. I went from 4 years in Jax, to 4 in P'Cola and back for 4 in Jax. I quit wearing any rain gear at all despite it raining nearly every day in summer at 1500. I just rode on and got soaked, Most people couldn't tell if I was wet from rain or from sweating due to the heat.

·
7,981 Posts
That is no joke brother. I went from 4 years in Jax, to 4 in P'Cola and back for 4 in Jax. I quit wearing any rain gear at all despite it raining nearly every day in summer at 1500. I just rode on and got soaked, Most people couldn't tell if I was wet from rain or from sweating due to the heat.
Yea, but think the smell is different. 😵

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
Rode in this morning with clouds and chance of a morning shower. About an hour after I got to work the skies opened up for a half hour. Just leaving work now and it’s hot, sunny and very dry.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well, I got to ride home in the rain just going to work this morning. I wore the Viking gear but as warm as it is today, I was close to being soaked in sweat.

·
Registered
456 Posts
When I was going to school at the University of Florida I only wore the rain suit if I was headed to class or work, otherwise I just got soaked and dealt with it cause either way you’re getting wet but at least it was a little less with the suit on from sweat....most days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
Finally got the chance to go out for a ride with the Southern Cruisers chapter I joined earlier this year. We left early’ish this morning and headed up to Kentucky Lake and had breakfast at the Southernaire Motel and Restaurant right off the lake. After a good breakfast of eggs, grits and country ham steak the size of my head we headed back off for home.

Got a little warm on the last bit of the ride but it was a really fun time. Can’t wait to meet up with the group and do some more rides.

As a side note, there were three Stars today, the leader was riding a Roadliner with 88k on it, a new guy was on a 1300 and I had my Roadie.

·
7,981 Posts
Looks like a great ride and nice weather.

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
998 Posts
I rode down to the port of Long Beach early this morning. Little traffic on the I-710 at that time of day. I got the 1100 up to 102 mph when the fuel cut-out, and it was still pulling. I thought to myself that I had found the limiter, but then about 5 minutes later at normal speed, I had to switch to reserve. So now I don't know if I hit the rev limit, or just ran out of fuel. Oh well, not exactly a pressing question.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
400 Posts
Rode 340 km / 215 miles today to scrub in the new tires on the Deauville. Along for the ride was my youngest son and his Yamaha MT-07. Set off under a clear sky and ended up under dark clouds. Beat the rain by 30 minutes. Good trip, managed to stay away from the dense traffic that comes with summer and end of vacation for the majority of Norwegians. A few Germans in their motor-home procession as per usual held up traffic here and there, as they always do, but we got quickly past.

Only took pictures at a few spots, though.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I ride with Southern Cruisers down here in Pensacola, I learned Southern Cruisers is an eating club with a motorcycle problem.
We definitely had a good breakfast and funny enough all the rides we were discussing doing did revolve around what restaurant we would visit!

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
I ride with Southern Cruisers down here in Pensacola, I learned Southern Cruisers is an eating club with a motorcycle problem. 🤪 🤪
We tried to start a chapter here last summer. They tried to lump us in with Quebec (big no no for Maritimers) so we all backed out.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
400 Posts
Went for a ride today since the temps was up to over 20C (68F) for the first time in over a month and the sun was supposed to keep the rain at bay until the early evening. And since I had to wait for the paint i smeared onto the inside of the front fender yesterday to dry, I could just as well do something fun.Temps got up to 22C (72F) when my son and I hit the road on our bikes and 10:20 in the morning. The farmers are currently fighting over who can splatter the most manure onto the road rather than the fields, which they do every year, forcing us off the gnarliest backroads and onto the more mainstream roads, unfortunately.

Today, I suffered badly from tingling fingers inside my summer gloves. After 55 miles, we stopped for fuel and I replaced the roomy vented gloves with snug fitting thickly padded gloves, and had much less problems with my hands after that, thankfully.

The Deauville continue to surprise in a pleasant way with the new tires. Once out of farmer land, we could take them narrow, little used paths again, many of which are quite bumpy and broken up. This taxes suspension and stability in particular, and the Deauville has always felt insecure and unwilling to maintain a cornering line. Not now. Rides like on rails. Very pleased.

The kind found the limits of his much more modern MT07, though, despite the substantial and costly suspension upgrades thrown at it, and time spent setting it up properly. First, he had a two-wheel slide, then the front folded when going around a particularly bumpy corner. The bike straightened itself out, no harm done, but it is something I have experienced before myself. Some tires tend to stick like dead insects to windshields on smooth, fine grain asphalt, but then have great problems when the tarmac is worn and consist of mostly polished stones. I believe the Contis on his bike are like that, just like the front Bridgestone was on my Deauville. There was only one thing to do; slow down. Not that we were pushing before, sitting well inside the 85% pace, but clearly his tires did not have the capacity for that today.

The rain appeared much earlier than the weather report suggested, coming down from 2:30 around our hometown. We hit rain for the last 12 minutes of the 170 mile ride, something easily survivable.

·
7,981 Posts
Looks like a nice ride, Beautiful pictures.

Reactions: faffi

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
998 Posts
Rotated the tires today. And performed a full seafoam treatment.

Rode a little piece of the mother road. One of my pastimes is railfanning on the Cajon Pass. Average of 80 freight trains per day pass through here, and this little piece of R66 runs along one of my viewing areas.

Couple side notes, my GoPro JB Weld repair broke and I lost my GoPro on the freeway. Guess I knew it was a matter of time.

Second thing, I stopped for gas, and as I was removing my gas cap, it tumbled out of my hand and hit the deck. As I picked it up I realized the key was not visible. %[email protected]*, I figured the key had broken off, and I was not only without a key to start the bike, but could not replace the cap on the tank. But luck was with me and no damage done to the cap, not even a scratch in the chrome, and it took some looking to find where the key had skittered away to but it had simply popped out of the lock and nothing was damaged. Whew! (y)

I thought this was kind of a cool pic, totally by accident.

2541 - 2560 of 2595 Posts