Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

2801 - 2820 of 2835 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,818 Posts
Just got home from a 271km ride (about 170 miles). Weather was amazing. We made a trip around the southeast portion of the province and came through Fundy Park on our way home. Usually it's colder down there so we were prepared for it, but the temperatures were just as warm as in town. There were so many other bikes out today it looked like July, not October. I doubt we'll see another day like this until next summer. Glad I didn't have to work so I could get out and enjoy it.

I'm really loving the backrest. No back pain at all and some of the roads we were on were less than smooth. It was nice to have the extra support and as a bonus because it sits me up straighter I noticed I wasn't getting as much air blowing across my face. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

The new tires made it handle like a different bike. Road snakes used to wobble my bars with the old front tire and I hardly felt them today. Got into some nice tight curves in Fundy Park and I was able to lean far into them without any problems. Smoother ride too.

We are somewhat restricted on where were able to go so a lot of the pics I took are repeats of ones I've already posted. We did take a little detour to Cape Enrage, not far from Fundy Park so here's a few pictures of that. Very tight, twisty road out to the point.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,017 Posts
@NorthernRider, sounds like great way to close your riding season. You might get a few more rides in, but even if those are less than perfect, you had today. Good to hear the backrest is working for you. I've only got a few commutes on mine and I agree it makes you sit up straighter. For me, I need all the posture help I can get. Your backrest didn't bend on you. ;)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
What a beautiful place to ride , that I have to envy you on. If you could get rid of the snow I would love to live there.

·
Super Moderator
3,818 Posts
I used to put away my summer toys and go snowmobiling in winter. It's a lot of fun but our winters are getting to the point where getting enough snow to get out on one isn't a sure thing anymore. The idea of spending 15,000 on something I might get to use for 4 to 6 weeks isn't that appealing.

·
9,017 Posts
Nice looking ride, 95 mph? For shame. 🤫

·
9,017 Posts
Seems like everyone is trying to get some riding time in before weather turns worst. I like hearing about the rides and pictures. Keep them coming.

Reactions: Boog and GARider

·
9,017 Posts
A lot of folks sees this thread but not the regional threads, check out the ride a few of us Houston folks had today. It was a great ride with the next one already mapped out. If anyone wants to join us, just speak up.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,136 Posts
It was foggy when I headed out this morning, but I knew it would clear up soon. I headed for the Antelope Valley. I live in the San Gabriel Valley. The San Gabriel Mountains lay between us. There are any number of routes over the mountains, but I like to ride through the Green Valley area to avoid as much freeway as possible. I had the Bobcat Fire in mind, because I knew it had started on my side of the mountains, and burned over the top into the slopes overlooking the Antelope Valley, but other than that I didn't really have a destination in mind.

Mark Twain famously wrote, "Whiskey is for drinking. Water is for fighting". Nowhere is that more true than here in California.

Heading up San Francisquito Canyon, soon the head stock tubes of LADWP Power Plant #2 are on the east side of the road. This was the site of the tragic St Francis dam collapse of 1928. A wall of water killed an estimated 450 - 600 souls. No one knows for sure. It has been rebuilt now of course.

There is a bit of memorial signage about the tragedy.

Continuing on...

Soon the head stocks of LADWP Power Plant #1 come into view on the west side of the road. When first brought online, this power plant was enough to service the entire city of Los Angeles, AND sell excess power to the city of Pasadena. Of course now, it is a drop in the bucket of the overall power usage.

All of this is part of the original Los Angelus aqueduct system. (remember China Town?) These power plants use water that is all gravity fed, including syphoning, costing very little to operate. Below, if you look closely, you can see the pipeline running along the terrain of the mountains. Obviously rising and falling in elevation as it traverses the peaks and valleys.

Soon that pipeline will cross the road above you. Notice the pipe coming in from the right. The water flow here is from right to left across the photo. I think. The maps of the aqueduct are hard to read.

It is a big pipe! Here I have parked my Star under it for perspective. I'm guessing it is around 8' in diameter here.

Moving on, evidence of the fire can be found near Lake Elizabeth and Lake Hughes area. The fire jumped Elizabeth Lake Road in this area. I took the below photos from that road.

This shot is looking northeast from the road.

Here looking southwest. This family lost their old Dodge pickup. It seemed their home was intact.

This family was less fortunate. I believe it was a home, but possibly some kind of outbuilding. It has already been bulldozed.

It isn't showing in the photo, but the Phos Chek fire retardant that they drop from aircraft still stained the road in places like this.

Ended up a beautiful comfortable day to put in a couple hundred miles of tire rotation. And learned some stuff along the way.

·
9,017 Posts
Very nice write up, great pictures. Glad the weather was on your side.

·
Registered
871 Posts
It was foggy when I headed out this morning, but I knew it would clear up soon. I headed for the Antelope Valley. I live in the San Gabriel Valley. The San Gabriel Mountains lay between us. There are any number of routes over the mountains, but I like to ride through the Green Valley area to avoid as much freeway as possible. I had the Bobcat Fire in mind, because I knew it had started on my side of the mountains, and burned over the top into the slopes overlooking the Antelope Valley, but other than that I didn't really have a destination in mind.

Mark Twain famously wrote, "Whiskey is for drinking. Water is for fighting". Nowhere is that more true than here in California.

Heading up San Francisquito Canyon, soon the head stock tubes of LADWP Power Plant #2 are on the east side of the road. This was the site of the tragic St Francis dam collapse of 1928. A wall of water killed an estimated 450 - 600 souls. No one knows for sure. It has been rebuilt now of course.

There is a bit of memorial signage about the tragedy.

Continuing on...

Soon the head stocks of LADWP Power Plant #1 come into view on the west side of the road. When first brought online, this power plant was enough to service the entire city of Los Angeles, AND sell excess power to the city of Pasadena. Of course now, it is a drop in the bucket of the overall power usage.

All of this is part of the original Los Angelus aqueduct system. (remember China Town?) These power plants use water that is all gravity fed, including syphoning, costing very little to operate. Below, if you look closely, you can see the pipeline running along the terrain of the mountains. Obviously rising and falling in elevation as it traverses the peaks and valleys.

Soon that pipeline will cross the road above you. Notice the pipe coming in from the right. The water flow here is from right to left across the photo. I think. The maps of the aqueduct are hard to read.

It is a big pipe! Here I have parked my Star under it for perspective. I'm guessing it is around 8' in diameter here.

Moving on, evidence of the fire can be found near Lake Elizabeth and Lake Hughes area. The fire jumped Elizabeth Lake Road in this area. I took the below photos from that road.

This shot is looking northeast from the road.

Here looking southwest. This family lost their old Dodge pickup. It seemed their home was intact.

This family was less fortunate. I believe it was a home, but possibly some kind of outbuilding. It has already been bulldozed.

It isn't showing in the photo, but the Phos Chek fire retardant that they drop from aircraft still stained the road in places like this.

Ended up a beautiful comfortable day to put in a couple hundred miles of tire rotation. And learned some stuff along the way.
Wow. Nice write up and pictures to show with a history lesson!
Thanks for telling the story and sharing!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had accidentally left my plate on the Road Glide when I sold it to the dealer. I called him and he told me he would put it aside for me. I told him I'd be by once they had set their tent up. You see, this week in Panama City Beach (PCB) the Thunder Beach Motorcycle rally begins.

Last week a friend of mine said he would ride down with me today; he rides a Honda VLX. When we left my house, the temp was about 84 and the humidity was low; gorgeous day for a ride; I was leading.

If the trip meter on my 650 is correct, we were 37 miles from my house when it happened. Looking in my mirror, I see him pull into the breakdown lane; so I pulled over and waited for him to come up to me. He pulls up alongside me and I ask what's wrong. He points to his rear wheel; the sprocket is empty. His chain was gone. We started walking back up the road to look for the chain. A couple of other bike riders stopped to see if we were OK. A guy on a BMW rode back up the road, found the chain, and brought it to us. The master link had broken.

He got on his phone and began looking for a place that might have a link for the chain. Did you know most motorcycle shops are closed on Sundays? I got on my phone and called AAA. The recording told me I would have an approximate 15 minute wait, before someone would answer and speak with me. The recording also said, that due to the virus, if they were able to tow, you couldn't ride in the tow truck and would need to find yourself a ride. I hung up the phone. He couldn't find an open shop. The only thing left to do was for me to leave him on the side of the road.

I rode the 37 miles back to my house and exchanged the bike for the truck and trailer and started back to get him. 7 miles from my house, the trailer came off the hitch and wedged itself under the truck's bumper. Not being able to pick up a 5000 lbs truck, I dragged the trailer off the side of the road until the trailer became free of the bumper. I hitched the trailer up again and drove to meet him.

I arrived without further incident. We loaded his bike and drove back to his house, about 50 miles from where we were. We arrived at his house just as it was getting dark. Unloaded his bike. It was dark by the time I got home.

I still need to go to PCB and pick up my plate. He won't be going with me. While waiting, he located and ordered another master link. Its coming from CA and is scheduled to arrive on the 26th.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I used you carry 2 extra master links attached to my riding boots. Who remembers riding with Bridle Boots with a master link attached to it? That used to be the style in the 70's for everyone, then it started to change to heavier boots.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,136 Posts
Wow, bad day. When it rains it pours.

I also was not allowed to ride in the tow. Had to call wife.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic
2801 - 2820 of 2835 Posts