Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

3441 - 3460 of 3503 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
I'll post more later, but in hour three of a Texas rain storm. Just a tad over an hour to get home. Gas and leg stretch break.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
106 Posts
I'll post more later, but in hour three of a Texas rain storm. Just a tad over an hour to get home. Gas and leg stretch break.

View attachment 106686

View attachment 106687
We (wife on pillion) got caught is some of that liquid sunshine today as well. Couldn't take any more rain outs, so we decided to take a chance and go to Livingston for lunch after church. Ran into some sprinkles on the way up, but hit some spotty heavy showers on the way home. So be it. I saw a lot more bikes on the road than normal in such weather conditions, I think we're all going a little stir crazy with all the rain lately. Forecast for next weekend is much better...hope they're right.

·
11,399 Posts
Just made it home. The first 40 miles was dry, then 250 miles of rain. Overall pretty good ride except when I entered the Greater Houston Area. The folks down here freak out when the road is wet.

I'll make a video of the ride up to son's house on Friday and ride back home later. Here's a quick video of my 5 hours rain ride.

·
11,399 Posts
Here's the videos from Friday and today. Friday was a great ride. Today, the liquid sunshine followed me. Even in the rain, averaged 53 MPH, 294 miles in 5.55 hours. Saturday's average was a little less but I stopped to eat.

Fridays ride, 05/21/2021:

Sunday's, 05/23/2021 Ride:

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,314 Posts
Those roads are made for cars - I cannot see myself ride in a straight line for hours. Cudos, Les, for enduring both the roads and the rain!

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,314 Posts
Slept poorly tonight and decided to get up early instead of spinning around in bed when I noticed a clear sky and drying tarmac outside, despite rain being promised in the forecast. The air was crisp, but winds helped dry things. Crisscrossed the rural surroundings for a good two hours, keeping speeds to 40 mph or less. It was great, if a bit chilly. Last ride, together with the kids, was similar, but with a little higher average speed. Anyway, the gentle riding payed off at the gas pump, with just over 59 mpg. At that rate, I could go just over 250 miles until dry on my 650 Classis! If I had kept to a steady 40 mph on a level road, even more miles could be covered; the constant slowing/accelerating/turning/up hill and down hill is not ideal for frugality.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Had to replace my front tire, got a nice cut across the tread sonbeen off the bike for 2 days. Got home early and installed the wheel back on the bike, grabbed Kelley and we took off for 64 miles. Been pouring rain most of the day but it had finally cleared....or so we thought. She was indoctrinated to riding in the rain today. We had a few miles near the end where it was pouring and the last 10 miles the winds were howling. She said it was a great confidence booster. She no longer thinks riding in the rain is scary, challenging yes, but not scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
11,399 Posts
Pssst! It's strawberry season in So Cal.

And the Emmy goes to Bill, nice story line for a great ride. Thanks for taking the time to make it.

Reactions: Joe7299 and bpounds

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
2,145 Posts
Rode down to South Cakalaki for the weekend to link up with some brothers.

20210528_062633.jpg
20210528_103856.jpg
20210528_185043.jpg

made it to the house after super just before the rain.
20210528_221531.jpg

way in the back is a GL1500 Goldwing Anniversary Special, the a 2004 Road Star, a 2019 HD Street glide, my Triumph, a 2019 Chiefton and a 2017 Ultra Classic.
20210529_105505.jpg
20210529_133544.jpg
20210529_133552.jpg
20210529_144519.jpg

·
11,399 Posts
Looks like a great time. Was weather as good as it looks?

Reactions: Boog

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
2,145 Posts
Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
Star Eluder
270 Posts
Ride to coffee. Looks rainy too the west so I'm heading east after this. If you ever get to Central Wisconsin I recommend Condor Coffee. So good!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,602 Posts
I've had a photograph in mind for a few months now. This is it. One of these, not sure which :)

The Port of Los Angeles Warehouse #1 is an icon at the port. Building was completed in 1917.
Read about it here: Municipal Warehouse No. 1 - Wikipedia

It appears vacant to me, but the wiki does not say yea or nay on that. It definitely gets used in a lot of films.

It is fenced off along the sides.

I would not trust these crumbling concrete balconies.

The drainage cornices are cool.

Built in an era when style was important, even though this was intended to be a very utilitarian structure with no excess bling.

U.S. Custom Office Warehouse 1 (I don't think Customs currently occupies it)

A gray day here, but the sun was out a few miles inland.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,602 Posts
And not far away, I stumbled across a nice surprise.

I have been a woodturning enthusiast for many years, and at one time was involved with a wood turning guild. The guild members got involved with the Top Sail Youth Program, a group which uses sailing to influence the lives of at-risk youths. Eventually Top Sail raised enough funds to build two brigantine tall ships, named the Irving Johnson and Exy Johnson. Our turning guild created works of art which were auctioned to help raise funds, and some members even donated their time on the building of the ships.

The Irving Johnson was seriously damaged during a storm IIRC, and Top Sail could not afford to rebuild. I'm not sure what eventually happened to her. The Exy Johnson is currently berthed at the fishing wharf, and appears to be undergoing some rework. Another tall ship, the Swift of Ipswitch was also owned by Top Sail, and it is resting astern of the Exy, but her entire superstructure appears to be removed, and I assume, is being retro-fit.

I'm not sure who still owns what at present, but it was very nice to see her again. It's been about 10 years since my involvement. It was extremely interesting watching a wooden tall ship being built from the ground up by shipwrights, who in turn were passing their skills on to future generations.

About the Exy Johnson: EXY JOHNSON - Tall Ships America
About the Top Sail Youth Program: Topsail Youth Program – Los Angeles Maritime Institute (lamitopsail.org)
About the Irving and Exy Johnson twin tall ships: Irving Johnson (ship) - Wikipedia

3441 - 3460 of 3503 Posts