Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

3461 - 3480 of 3503 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,314 Posts
Today, my two son's and I rode our Yamahas for 370 km / 230 miles in beautiful weather after the slight mist got terminated by the sun an hour into the ride. And it was one of the top rides of my life, despite a rather uncomfortable seat on my bike.

First stop of the day outside Egersund

Speeds that would bore you silly on capable performance bike becomes an adventure on the 650 Dragstar. Plus the latter makes for a much better platform from which to just chill and take in the scenery. It really is a relaxing ride, as is my older son's Virago scrambler that I used to own. The younger kid on the upgraded MT-07, however, would have preferred a more rapid progression for our entourage.

A later stop to get some layers of clothes off as temps got rising

About one third into our ride, we caught up with a trio riding a ZX-10R, an older Fireblade from the late 90s, and a GSX1000S. The bloke on the 'blade demonstrated he was bored with the pace, and would take off with a huge wheelie and disappear, wait further up the road, and repeat. We believed it was the Suzuki mounted bloke holding the pace down, but looking at the tire chicken strips when we all stopped suggested the slow bloke was riding the Kawasaki, and that the GSX-chap was helping him not over-extend himself.

The man on the Kawasaki was probably in his 50s, carried a huge gut (that could not be spotted when following his normal sized back) and midlife crises written all over his racing leathers. Anyway, they stormed ahead on the straights, aftermarket 4-1s screaming for mercy, then going rather careful around the corners. The 40 ponies of my 650 worked overtime, the chassis flexed in sympathy, and the floorboard feelers dug the odd furrow in the asphalt. Still, keeping up over the distance was easy, and they were holding us up. Not a lot, but definitely slowing our pace as it took just a few corners to reel them back in after each straight.

Were they bothered that they could not leave behind a group consisting of two riders carrying Learner-vests, and two very inferior bikes? I don't know. But we sure got a giggle out of it. The overall pace was fast enough to be fun and engaging on the Dragstar and Virago, but too slow for the MT-07. Still worth a giggle, though. In fact, the stretch was made more fun riding behind the three strangers, despite the slightly reduced pace over normal. Regardless of his experience level, though, in my opinion the rider on the ZX-10R was not on the best bike if his target was to become a better, more confident rider. It was too much bike for him, and the riding position of a race rep is not ideal for 15-60 mph corners.

The stretch where we caught up with the threesome can be seen here if someone wants to zoom in Austadveien to Hauge i Dalane

Or here

We made another break close to Tonstad, and this place was chosen poorly by yours truly as it was really, really hot. At least for us not used to warmth.

Final stop of the day was in Eia. The front end of my Dragstar had begun to clank over every ripple, and the Virago's indicators had stopped working. For whatever reason, the front fender of my bike had worked all four bolts loose. They have no torque spec, and I may have been too gentle tightening them. Tightening them was easy enough. After trying a new fuse without result, it suddenly dawned on me that if you engage the emergency flashers on the Virago, the only thing happening is that the indicators stop working. Lo an behold, my oldest son had accidently turned them on. Move the switch back, and all was fine.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
Very nice narrative with pictures. Sounds like a great time with your sons. That road looks like it's a lot of fun with fantastic senery.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
We participated in the Leipers Fork Memorial Poker Run today hosted by Moonshine Harley Davidson. The run raises money for a charity that provides meals, clothes and toys at Christmas to children and families in the Leipers Fork area of Tennessee. This is seen as a very wealthy area by many as a lot of musicians and celebrities have moved into the area as it’s beautiful. There are still a lot of back hollows here where families have lived for generations, some of the homes still have dirt floors. Hidden behind all of the multi-million dollar estates and mansions are a lot of folks just trying to scrape a living together.

We had about 68 bikes show up for the day. They auctioned off some signed guitars from Kid Rock, Cheryl Crow and some others I forget as well as a ton of door prizes from the HD dealership and a bunch of single barrel bottles from our very own local Fairview liquor store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
11,399 Posts
Thanks for the video. I'm in the middle of a two week rain, riding along with you was great. Like the part were you have the camera off the bike seeing you ride off, nice touch.

Reactions: bpounds

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Rode 200 miles together with the youngest kid today, once more in splendid weather. I am enjoying the 650 Classic more and more every ride. By any kind of modern standards, the bike is not particularly stellar. But, pardon the pun, I see it as a classic. In the 60s, it would have been a pretty respectable performer, with excellent brakes, top notch suspension, and typical engine performance with amazing smoothness. Riding it briskly, within its restrictive limits, the Classic is fun and engaging. Ridden lazily, it is relaxing and a good platform for taking in the vistas as you roll by.

Today's ride took us up to about 3000 ft, where you still find patches of snow, and down to sea level where the snow went months ago. We rode some straighter roads, but most winding ones. Bumpy, broken and frost heave infected sections as well as over smooth, fresh asphalt. Even a stretch of gravel, something the Classic copes with far better after I changed the stock Bridgestones for a set of Pirellis.

Almost forgot; the kid removed the dB-killer from his already pretty noise, but legal, Arrow 2-1. It became even noisier, and on the overrun sounded more like a Nascar V8 than a motorcycle twin. He was all smiles, but we had to put the silencer back in, or we would have been pulled over. And rightly so.

Some pictures - hard to tell, but the magnetic tank back is branded Suzuki, yet it works just fine 😄

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
106 Posts
Thanks for the video. I'm in the middle of a two week rain, riding along with you was great. Like the part were you have the camera off the bike seeing you ride off, nice touch.
I did you a solid by putting my bike in the shop Saturday for an oil change and 28k checkup/brake fluid replacement......and the weather forecast for the next ten days immediately changed to "no rain"......I hope the shop can get her turned around quicker than they usually do, but I'm not holding my breath..... Enjoy the lack of rain for a while...LOL :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Just had to go out for a trundle again today, despite my behind not having recuperated fully since yesterday, and complaining bitterly about it. The ride was worth the discomfort, though.

Many moons ago, I shot these

Today, I went back on my current Yamaha and discovered that they have removed the asphalt and replaced it with gravel. Probably to make it more natural.

·
11,399 Posts
With the rain last week I did some updates on my phone. In the past the speedometer app I use I couldn't split screen, but with update I can. I run maps all the time, even in Houston, to be aware of wrecks, road conditions, etc. On my videos I post some had said they like seeing the large speed reading on my phone. I didn't like running the speed app all the time because maps was covered. So now I can run both. The video below shows due screen with phone horizontal and then vertical. The roads I'm shooting this on is pretty rough with expansion joints and there glare on phone. My question, it vertical or horizontal a better shot in the video? Some might think the phone is in my way, but it's not. The helmet cam is actually down by my chin and me line of site is over the phone. Anyway, please comment, good or bad.

Reactions: Joe7299 and faffi

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,602 Posts
I prefer the phone horizontal version. I would be annoyed by the phone sticking up in the center, but that's just me and I've noticed you like it that way. I almost always run my phone vertical like you, but I have it lower and off to the side.

One thing I wondered though, what navigation maps are you using? Google Maps shows my speed at all times, as well as the speed limit for a particular location. Can't remember if that was something I had to set or if it was GM default. The numbers are smaller of course. I know the numbers for my speed turn red if I am exceeding the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
With the rain last week I did some updates on my phone. In the past the speedometer app I use I couldn't split screen, but with update I can. I run maps all the time, even in Houston, to be aware of wrecks, road conditions, etc. On my videos I post some had said they like seeing the large speed reading on my phone. I didn't like running the speed app all the time because maps was covered. So now I can run both. The video below shows due screen with phone horizontal and then vertical. The roads I'm shooting this on is pretty rough with expansion joints and there glare on phone. My question, it vertical or horizontal a better shot in the video? Some might think the phone is in my way, but it's not. The helmet cam is actually down by my chin and me line of site is over the phone. Anyway, please comment, good or bad.

For me the horizontal orientation view is best. That speedometer app is that speedometer app in the picture. I have been using that for years and at one time Siri would tell the speed I was traveling if I asked. Any way great app. I don’t think I can split screen. Nice option. I will have to look.

Attachments

·
11,399 Posts
I use Google maps, yes it shows posted speed and my speed, bit it's tiny. I do like it vertical better, but I'm good either way. It really is not in my line of site, you have to remember that's only a six inch windshield and I'm basically looking totally over it. The goal here is to let y'all see the speed and run maps at the same time. Screen glare was bad on today's video. Plus when I got home noticed screen brightness was cut way down. This is what I see, taking a picture is clearer than video.

Is the horizontal or vertical more pleasing to eye in a video? Is one easier for you to read? So as we discussed on the zoom call, @bpounds (yes we were talking about you) is turning out fantastic videos and I'm trying to add a little different look to at least make mine watchable.

Reactions: bpounds

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,602 Posts
That is a cool idea. Cannot read the speed well in either video. But a little better in the horizontal. That might be due to the backlight thru the windshield. When the phone is vertical it is surrounded by daylight. Not as much when horizontal.

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
@lesblank ; you could record your screen on the phone and then combine the two videos. Then it would be crystal clear and you could place it off in the corner of the video. I’ve done that with a few of my videos.

·
11,399 Posts
@lesblank ; you could record your screen on the phone and then combine the two videos. Then it would be crystal clear and you could place it off in the corner of the video. I’ve done that with a few of my videos.

Good idea, might try that. Got a plan I'll try tomorrow, I'm going to put speedometer on bottom of screen and turn screen darker.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Got a break in the rain today, took the new Roadie to the store, first time I have had it in 3rd gear, it really is loud. Got to love straight pipes

·
11,399 Posts
@GARider, nice road and drone shots. Carla really liked it to. Good job.

Reactions: GARider
3461 - 3480 of 3503 Posts