Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
3521 - 3540 of 3581 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,647 Posts
Tried using white screen background. Can't do black numbers but dark blue was an option. Was bright and sunny when I left then clouded up some. Included a short video from this morning. Please fast forward thru different lighting and let me know what you think. Thanks.

Day time:

At night:
I've been away for 10 days, and just now seeing this. Not sure what to call vacation when you're retired. I guess 'away' sums it up.

Anyway, blue on white looks good day or night. Probably as good as it can be. I notice it was a cloudy day, so might not be as good when sunny. Or could even be better, since your camera is reading the white clouds. Blue sky might even be better.

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
198 Posts
Nice ride. Good to hear you got your leaking tire taken care of.
Just another lesson in a (too) long line of examples of missing a simple fix and then paying someone for the privilege to do it for me. Just trying to keep my local economy strong I guess, LOL.

Not to mention all the sweat involved in removing and reinstalling that beast of a back wheel, along with a few tears/adult language and a little blood thrown in just for fun.

Come to think of it, me and that back wheel/tire have certainly had our fair share of head scratchers so far, and the solution has (so far) always wound up being simple: replace a lumpy Shinko and now an iffy schrader.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
912 Posts
I went for a short ride yesterday morning to drop off things at my daughters and stopped to say hello to a friend. It was hot out yesterday and I didn't see that many bikes on the road. I had a good time it was fairly windy and I love riding when it's windy.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,489 Posts
Rode together with the youngest kid plus one bloke from the gym for about 170 miles. Both are MT-07 mounted. Never ridden with the bloke from the gym before, but he rode well, although he complained that the tempo was a bit too elevated in the twisty bits.

Pics taken at Terland klopp, with its old bridge

And yesterday, I rode another 170 mi route, this time with my cousin who came visiting from the East. He rides a 2021 KTM 1290 Adventure R. I got to ride it a little, and that engine really motors!!! Would be very difficult to keep my license on something with that much power! Very tall bike, though, I could only tip-toe with my 32in inseam.

Although fitted with the stock street-oriented tires for the trip across the country, it was very obvious that my cousin is not used to riding much on asphalt. Normally, he storms around on gravel and mud. Still surprised that he could not keep up in any way with my Classic in the twisty bits. After our ride, he said he was going to take a road racing class to build confidence on asphalt. Good idea, as it will make him both faster and safer, as well as enhance his enjoyment of riding.

Sorry, no pics from yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
3,977 Posts
Well Done! I like the Relive at the end instead of intermittent in the middle. What kind of bike at 27:00?

Reactions: bpounds

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,647 Posts
It was an HD. Maybe a bobbed out sportster. But not at all sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Today I went for my longest 1 day trip of 281 miles. I did some miles on the blue ridge parkway, then winded my way to Lynchburg and then winded back to Richmond.

During the week is definitely the best time to hit the parkway. There was hardly anyone else in it! Don't speed if you ride it because I saw about as many park rangers shooting radar as I saw cars and bikes!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Actually two rides, first one on Sunday together with our son, covering 200 miles while checking out how my screen worked in its lowest possible position using the stock mounts. It took away the blast on the body, but created quite a bit of noise.

No influence on handling other than the very mild headshake when letting go of the handlebars between 30 and 60 mph had gone completely. Ducking down or moving back and forth had a relatively small impact on the experienced noise. I could see above the screen, but anything closer than 50-60 feet had to be viewed through the screen.

Showing the angle of the screen relative to the fork

Front view

Then another ride today alone, trying out the much more raked screen position, obtained by drilling new holes.

You can see how much closer the screen is to the brake master cylinder

The new rake lowered the top edge of the screen significantly, allowing me to see virtually all the road above the screen. Still noise, but not nearly as bad. Windblast hit me in the face. The rake makes it next to impossible to look through the screen since line of sight is close to line of screen. I will try and stand it up slightly by moving the screen in the lower mounts.

I rode to the top of Gilja, where the old road is blocked. On a scrambler or similar, I could have snuck past the barrier and rocks, but the path is too narrow for the Classic, and it is also lacking ground clearance. Still walked past the barrier to shoot some pictures of Frafjord below, plus the mountains around.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Actually two rides, first one on Sunday together with our son, covering 200 miles while checking out how my screen worked in its lowest possible position using the stock mounts. It took away the blast on the body, but created quite a bit of noise.

No influence on handling other than the very mild headshake when letting go of the handlebars between 30 and 60 mph had gone completely. Ducking down or moving back and forth had a relatively small impact on the experienced noise. I could see above the screen, but anything closer than 50-60 feet had to be viewed through the screen.

Showing the angle of the screen relative to the fork

Front view

Then another ride today alone, trying out the much more raked screen position, obtained by drilling new holes.

You can see how much closer the screen is to the brake master cylinder

The new rake lowered the top edge of the screen significantly, allowing me to see virtually all the road above the screen. Still noise, but not nearly as bad. Windblast hit me in the face. The rake makes it next to impossible to look through the screen since line of sight is close to line of screen. I will try and stand it up slightly by moving the screen in the lower mounts.

I rode to the top of Gilja, where the old road is blocked. On a scrambler or similar, I could have snuck past the barrier and rocks, but the path is too narrow for the Classic, and it is also lacking ground clearance. Still walked past the barrier to shoot some pictures of Frafjord below, plus the mountains around.

Beautiful area. I think that the same area that I really like. With that crazy road or this is the area that you shared once before. Anyway nice scenery.
Like the windscreen.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This is a different fjord, there are lots of them here. You should visit:cool:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Today, my odo rolled over 25,000 km, and I managed to time it so it happened just at the entrance to the farm from where our family originates. This was several generations ago, but I still carry the surname of the place and farm, seen on the road sign through the windscreen of my Classic. If anybody cares, it is pronounced like you say "Chevy", just replace the "y" with the way you say "e" in Eric. So Cheveland.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
We actually made it 2 miles, ate at Golden Corral, then had to ride 2 miles home in a sprinkle rain. Got home and the bottom dropped out. I feel like Deek, I rode 4 miles today.

Thought I would add a picture of Florida Sunshine

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Rode 250 miles yesterday with my son, and 200 miles today alone.

Most, but not all, of yesterday's ride was overcast and a bit chilly, with sprinkles of rain. We did not expect chill or rain, and had not dressed for it. Thankfully, the rain was light enough, and far enough apart, as not get our leathers wet. The weather still took some of the pleasure out of the ride. The coldest point was at 972 meters (3189 ft) on Fv520 between Røldal and Sauda, with just 10C (50F) while riding just under the clouds that leaked just enough to wet our visors.

We set out through the world's longest undersea car tunnel between Stavanger and Strand, then continued on Rv13 to Hjelmeland, where we jumped on the ferry to Nesvik. We turned off Rv13 onto Fv632, before joining Rv13 again further north. We followed that to Røldal resort, where we turned onto already mentioned Fv520 to Sauda and beyond to its end. There we continued of Fv46 a bit too far - I missed an early turn-off and we ended up on E134, which we ended up following nearly all the way to Aksdal, before turning back towards Skjoldastraumen, then Hervik and the ferry back to Mortavika and E39 back home.

Hylsskaret. This natural stone formation behind the bikes have 3 entrances to a central cave. You can walk in two of them, and crawl in the third.

Beginning of Fv520

Looking down back towards Røldal

Just turned onto Fv46

The whole route Stavanger Sentrum to Stavanger Sentrum

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,819 Posts
Sure is pretty country side. Thanks for the pictures. When you going to start using a video camera? I want to see some country side from a riders view.

Reactions: faffi and GARider

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Rode 250 miles yesterday with my son, and 200 miles today alone.

Most, but not all, of yesterday's ride was overcast and a bit chilly, with sprinkles of rain. We did not expect chill or rain, and had not dressed for it. Thankfully, the rain was light enough, and far enough apart, as not get our leathers wet. The weather still took some of the pleasure out of the ride. The coldest point was at 972 meters (3189 ft) on Fv520 between Røldal and Sauda, with just 10C (50F) while riding just under the clouds that leaked just enough to wet our visors.

We set out through the world's longest undersea car tunnel between Stavanger and Strand, then continued on Rv13 to Hjelmeland, where we jumped on the ferry to Nesvik. We turned off Rv13 onto Fv632, before joining Rv13 again further north. We followed that to Røldal resort, where we turned onto already mentioned Fv520 to Sauda and beyond to its end. There we continued of Fv46 a bit too far - I missed an early turn-off and we ended up on E134, which we ended up following nearly all the way to Aksdal, before turning back towards Skjoldastraumen, then Hervik and the ferry back to Mortavika and E39 back home.

Hylsskaret. This natural stone formation behind the bikes have 3 entrances to a central cave. You can walk in two of them, and crawl in the third.

Beginning of Fv520

Looking down back towards Røldal

Just turned onto Fv46

The whole route Stavanger Sentrum to Stavanger Sentrum
Next time you need to take us thru the cave! Nice trip.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I probably should film a bit. I have an old GoPro that I have barely used, and that is not up to today's demands of quality. Also, I find it a faff to keep up with memory cards, batteries, mounting, editing...

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,819 Posts
Here's the one a few of us use. Went up to $59. Sounds more expensive in Krones. Wonder how much postage would be.

Reactions: Walls and faffi
3521 - 3540 of 3581 Posts