Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
3781 - 3800 of 3985 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,115 Posts
I had some footage from my Arizona Sidewinder ride, but that video just got too long. So today I whipped up a part 2 video. Give it a look and let me know what you think.

Reactions: Lup69 and Boog

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
3,467 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I had some footage from my Arizona Sidewinder ride, but that video just got too long. So today I whipped up a part 2 video. Give it a look and let me know what you think.

Cool video. I have ridden from San Diego to Laughlin and back but not on the roads in to AZ you show here.

When I was stationed in San Diego, me and a few guys would do this route at least once a month starting in Santee.
Map World Line Atlas Parallel

You had to hit traffic early enough up into Ramona to avoid the looky-loos. And on the way way home, the ride down from Julian to the freeway was awesome if the cars were not heavy. Cool air in the mountains with the forest and blistering hot desert from Borrego onward.

Reactions: bpounds

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
626 Posts
Nice weather today in SE Texas, clear skies, highs mid 70s, lows high 50s, perfect day to take a ride to find some lunch..... So, a couple hundred miles each way to Jewett, Texas and an El Salvadoran place that had the best fajita soft taco I have ever had the pleasure to bite into. Worth the ride....but it was a nice enough day that lunch was just a bonus....

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,115 Posts
Cool video. I have ridden from San Diego to Laughlin and back but not on the roads in to AZ you show here.

When I was stationed in San Diego, me and a few guys would do this route at least once a month starting in Santee.
View attachment 112425
You had to hit traffic early enough up into Ramona to avoid the looky-loos. And on the way way home, the ride down from Julian to the freeway was awesome if the cars were not heavy. Cool air in the mountains with the forest and blistering hot desert from Borrego onward.
Just riding around the Salton Sea is a long ride. It's huge! I've spent many happy days hunting doves and other creatures down around the Sea. Right now is excellent weather in the Imperial Valley.

Julian is a good day trip ride for me. And it is the height of apple pie season right now. Hmmm, I think I have a spare day next week. :)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Just riding around the Salton Sea is a long ride. It's huge! I've spent many happy days hunting doves and other creatures down around the Sea. Right now is excellent weather in the Imperial Valley.

Julian is a good day trip ride for me. And it is the height of apple pie season right now. Hmmm, I think I have a spare day next week. :)
I think you took us on that Apple pie run before.
Anyway I will take a Apple crumb, pls. My bestie new friend!

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,934 Posts
I think you took us on that Apple pie run before.
Anyway I will take a Apple crumb, pls. My bestie new friend!
So you turned on Carla? Just because she came to Georgia and didn't bring you cookies. She made them, all you had to do is go get them. You wait till I tell her that, are you in trouble now.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
No no no no no, Les this is a pie we are talking about. The cookies are still very much welcome.
So don’t go starting anything between us now.
Now to bring up to point she was in GA and didn’t text me to do a drive-by cookie assault.
That would have been the best, getting blasted by different cookies. Awesome……

·
Registered
3,467 Posts

I fell in love with the bosenberry, cherry, Apple cider in Julian.
If you go 8nti the museum, my ex-wife donated an antique black dress with lots of beads on it. It was her grandmother's and fits in with the earlier California pioneers.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
626 Posts
Had to go to the local WalMart to get a TV wall mount to put in MIL's room, decided to take the long way and look for scavenger hunt targets. Got a text half way through the ride that told me the in-stock wall mount wasn't really in-stock and the order was being cancelled. Inventory control......ughhhh. But it was a nice ride....

·
13,934 Posts
Finally got around to putting some footage together from last weekends trip. Nothing special, just some good wind therepy time.

Reactions: Boog and bpounds

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,115 Posts
You're braver than I on that dirt road. I'm always clenched up on anything but pavement.

Reactions: Boog

·
13,934 Posts
You're braver than I on that dirt road. I'm always clenched up on anything but pavement.
There's been enough rain resently to wash it out some. It's the worst I've seen it. They grade it pretty often. It's not too bad, but remember I'm on a pretty big bike. I'm gonna have to get real used to it, that's my road.

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
327 Posts
There's been enough rain resently to wash it out some. It's the worst I've seen it. They grade it pretty often. It's not too bad, but remember I'm on a pretty big bike. I'm gonna have to get real used to it, that's my road.
I grew up riding dirt, so never had a problem with it, but I will say that Starbikes are not at their best on dirt roads (understatement). Don't know about your Harley.

·
13,934 Posts
I grew up riding dirt, so never had a problem with it, but I will say that Starbikes are not at their best on dirt roads (understatement). Don't know about your Harley.
The HD doesn't like it. I've only got 3.5 inches of travel on rear. I don't weigh much but on dips it will bottom out pretty easily. Going slow works ok.

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
327 Posts
The HD doesn't like it. I've only got 3.5 inches of travel on rear. I don't weigh much but on dips 8t will bottom out pretty easily. Going slow works ok.
Just got home from work and finally had time to watch the video. Let me say first thing that you won't catch me out there in 26 degrees :oops:. Then again, I don't have heated grips or gloves.
As to the dirt road, I've seen worse, but yeah, on a big bike, low and slow and no sudden moves if you can help it.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,115 Posts
My bride turned 65 today. Not remarkable really, except that I've never slept with a 65 YO before. If she reads this, it might not happen either, ever.

Anyway, I rode to Target this morning to pick up a birthday card. One from me, and one from Mandy the Labrador. Yes, they had cards from pets for sale. Pretty cute I thought. I think the lil' lady liked the dog's card better than mine. I didn't bother telling her that I was the one who picked it out.

I parked at Target as I usually do, up on the sidewalk behind the big red balls. A particularly handy tactic during the holiday shopping rush. It was 10ish am and the lot was already well packed. As I'm dismounting, a guy walking past asks me if that bike was an Indian? No, I say and advise him of Yamaha and the Star line. He walked on looking completely confused, muttering something about a friend having a Yamaha.

As I'm mounting up to leave, an elderly couple, probably about my age was strolling toward Target, and smiling at me, so we exchanged g'mornings. The lady says something like 'fine looking piece of machinery'. To which I reply, thank you - easy to park too, and we all laughed and laughed and laughed.

After that, I went home.

·
13,934 Posts
@bpounds, tell your better half Happy Birthday. Might want to look in the mirror to see what she is sleeping with, I'm sure that's a more frightening thought. 🤣 :unsure:

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
626 Posts
Had to make a quick decision today.....MIL wanted me to take a birthday gift to the post office to ship to her daughter (my wife's sister). SIL lives 200+ miles away in Belton, TX and the post office is 1.1 miles from my front door. I figured if I had to put all the gear on to ride to the post office, I might as well just take it to SIL myself and cut out the middle man.

When using Relive I usually try to plot my course so it's a kind of loop and minimize retracing the same roads coming and going. Unfortunately, in this case it was going to get too close to dinner time to wander too much, so had several long stretches of path retracing....

Getting close to oil change time and my 2 year service agreement ran out in November, gonna find out how Rotella T-6 15W-40 does in this engine.....I'll need to find some empty YamaLube bottles to keep around in case the engine gives me a problem and the warranty folks want to know what I'm using for lube.....LOL

·
13,934 Posts
Keeping MIL happy is important, good job! Definitely got there faster than Post Office.

Reactions: Boog and GARider
3781 - 3800 of 3985 Posts