Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
3801 - 3820 of 3853 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,648 Posts
Riding the Strat home from work at dusk just getting dark my headlight goes out. Still have high beam there was a lot of unhappy campers flashing their lights at and me flashing between dark and high saying this is all I got.

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
314 Posts
I took the Road Star out at 1 o'clock this afternoon. 43 degrees with frost still on the ground in some places (never went away in my yard). They are predicting snow for this coming Tuesday. I still won't be putting the bikes "to bed" for the winter. At my elevation, it probably won't stay on the ground for more than a couple of days. I probably will stop riding to work for now though. Early mornings, twisty roads and possible ice....I'll just ride a bit chilly in the afternoons on my days off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Update my riding the last 12 months at age 72. I'll only mention the more serious rides. I will be done riding for several weeks since I am having hand surgery on my left hand. Pulling in the clutch is just too much pain to ignore it any longer.

December 21, 2020, Iron Butt Association Winter Solstice Saddle Sore 1000 (1150 miles in 17 hours) in Texas on RSV, HID headlight went out for a while well after dark in west Texas. Started working again after a stop. Ballast replaced after the ride.

March 8 thru March 18, 2021, Jacksonville for IBA party and then to south Florida to visit relatives. 3000 miles.

March 20, 2021, IBA Spring Equinox Saddle Sore 1000 (1150 miles in 18 hours) in Texas on Honda VTX 1300R (odometer 143,000 miles), no issues.

June 20 thru June 22, 2021, IBA Saddle Sore 3000 which included the Summer Solstice Father's Day Saddle Sore 1000 in Texas, Bun Burner 1500 in Texas, Saddle Saddle Sore 2000 in Texas, and another Saddle Sore 1000 all on RSV

August 3 thru August 5, 2021, IBA Saddle Sore 3000 which included Saddle Sore 1000, Bun Burner 1500, Saddle Sore 2000, Saddle Sore 3000 all on RSV

August 8, 2021, IBA Saddle Sore 1000 on RSV

These qualified me for my second IBA Mile Eater Silver

Lastly an extremely fun 3000 mile 13 day trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Southeaster Utah with two riding buddies.

I was supposed to ride another IBA Saddle Sore 3000 to include the Fall Equinox which would give me not only the Four Season Certification but also the Mile Eater Gold. However, my daughter went to the hospital with a broken leg so that ride was cancelled. Disappointed, but there is next year to finish them up.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,913 Posts
I am impressed, Leroy. Good luck with the hand recovery.

Reactions: GARider

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you bpounds

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
3,212 Posts
The boss tells me at 1100 that I am needed in the next county along with a couple other guys. I could ride with them since I was on Buzzy. I looked at him odd like and he says, "Well it's an old bike and you aren't prepared to ride it an hour in the opposite direction from your house. Plus it's cold and you'll be headed back after dark.
I just grabbed my gear and said I'm always ready for ride day or night.
When I got there, I found this awesome parking spot. Zoom in on the sign...
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great attitude.

Reactions: Scrumdown

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I went for a ride after work to run an errand and then head to a meeting.
It was a lovely warm 61°F, with people driving with respect.
I love times like these in the bike. I literally smiles the whole time!

Ride smart. Ride often!

The boss tells me at 1100 that I am needed in the next county along with a couple other guys. I could ride with them since I was on Buzzy. I looked at him odd like and he says, "Well it's an old bike and you aren't prepared to ride it an hour in the opposite direction from your house. Plus it's cold and you'll be headed back after dark.
I just grabbed my gear and said I'm always ready for ride day or night.
None riders will never understand.

Ride smart. Ride often!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I saw over a dozen bike riders on my ride to work today. It feels like a spring day here in Northern Virginia.

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
314 Posts
Went out on the Road Star for the first time in a week. It's been cold, snowy, rainy and all around damp during that time. I had zipped it into it's "carport", but it is a fabric, so while the cement was dry inside, it was damp. Warmed it up for about 5 minutes (carb), but it took about 5 miles on the road before it was running right and didn't want to die when I stopped. Should be interesting when I take out the 1100. It's only got a cover, and it's had a much harder life before I got it. High of 45 today, warmer than it's been all week. It was good to get out.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,913 Posts
Took a spin on the bike today. Quick video of the affair.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,183 Posts
Took a spin on the bike today. Quick video of the affair.

Nice ride. With my bike being down for a week and rain, you got more miles in today than I have all month. :cry:
What device did you use to take the video? It was pretty good quality.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,913 Posts
That was my phone. Did not take a vid cam with me. I wasn't planning to shoot, but then changed my mind.

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Buzzy surprised me this morning while accelerating onto the Express lanes. I saw a large sewer truck in the lane I was merging onto and did not want to be behind it. Buzzy was at 5K RPM and I twisted the throttle. As the RPM passed 5500, I felt a surge of power and a strong pull up through 6K RPM. Granted, not like the V-Boost the VMAX has, but a noticeable boost all the same. I got ahead of the truck and rode on to work feeling good.

This is the first time I have felt this surge since I got Buzzy. I'm not sure if something unclogged itself or if it is the 28°F temperature this morning. In any case, the 40 year old bike has some giddy-up left and enjoys taking long, deep breaths on cold mornings.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
423 Posts
Got my Moderna booster (jab #3) today. The closest clinic giving the shots is only a 1/2 mile from my front door. Took the long way home afterwards and found some large snowmen for the scavenger hunt. Temperature hovered between 65 and 68 the whole ride and not a cloud in the sky. Rear tire is about shot, but still a nice day for a ride.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Got my Moderna booster (jab #3) today. The closest clinic giving the shots is only a 1/2 mile from my front door. Took the long way home afterwards and found some large snowmen for the scavenger hunt. Temperature hovered between 65 and 68 the whole ride and not a cloud in the sky. Rear tire is about shot, but still a nice day for a ride.

Where are you going to get your new rear tire from?

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
423 Posts
I know the historical statue target was found, but just wanted to share how historical statues are presented in Texas. You know the old adage.....everything's bigger in Texas...... :LOL: :D

That's Sam Houston and he is 67 feet tall, standing on a 10 foot platform..... He used to be kind of back in the woods, but I-45 just keeps getting wider and wider.

Sky Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

3801 - 3820 of 3853 Posts