Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
3821 - 3840 of 3985 Posts

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
626 Posts
Where are you going to get your new rear tire from?
Good question. I bought 2 of them in the middle of June from an eBay vendor called "mxpowerplay" because they were giving 10% off to buy 2 at a time. I paid $199 each for them then, but I just looked and they are up to $225 a piece now, with 5% discount to buy 2. They are G852-G's (OEM for GoldWings) which I believe is not OEM for the Venture. I read somewhere (on this forum) that Venture OEM is G852-J but I can't find those even at Bridgestone's website.

1st tire is already real close to end of life at less than 7,500 miles and I have no hope of getting more than that on the next one. Probably going to try Dunlop Elite 4 next time, even though they are on backorder many places and cost is almost 50% higher than the Bridgestones.....I'm hoping the Dunlop give me enough extra mileage to justify the extra cost. Not having to yank the back wheel off the beast every 4 or 5 months is worth something too.....

I have a list of about a dozen vendors I'm constantly trolling for deals......try to grab them when I think I'm getting a good price.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's a day late but had my winter solstice ride yesterday for 2-1/2 hours and just managed 100 km (62 miles) along the Niagara River Parkway from Fort Erie north to Niagara on the Lake and back home to Niagara Falls - it's the latest year time to ride for me in thel ast five years as we usually have snow on the ground - it was a beautiful sunny day with a high of 4ºC ( 40ºF) and very little wind.

I bought a pair of cheap battery heated gloves in Jan 2021 and they make all the difference in the world - nice warm hands so it becomes quite cheerful to ride at those temperatures.

Now my only small problem is my knees - had total knee replacements in both - you don't know how cold titanium gets until you stick those hunks of metal out in the wind for a couple of hours - but it's something I'll put up with to keep on riding.

Now it looks as if it will be +6ºC ( 43ºF) on Saturday so it will be a merry Christmas here. 😀 😀 😀 😀

·
Registered
Star Eluder
325 Posts
Not today's ride considering it is 20 degrees with iced over roads. I've decided to combat a bit of seasonal depression by going over some of my summer recordings (Main reason for the go-pro). This was an awesome ride up and down Iron mountain to go see Mount Rushmore. Is was cool coming around corners and seeing Mount Rushmore. Definitely can't wait until I do it again next summer.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
626 Posts
Took a short (~ 40 mile) ride this morning to get the scavenger hunt target. Christmas Eve traffic was very light, but I swear what few folks were on the road all had my personal destruction on their agenda. In that quick little ride I believe I had to take at least 5 significant evasive maneuvers to extricate myself from their wanton failure to be competent drivers. But, in spite of their best attempts, I made it home and here I will stay for the next couple of days.....

Merry Christmas to all....

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Went to the Southern "Last ride of the year " today. We had a couple ABR riders come in from Arkansas, the couple I ate with road in from Tampa ( about 10 hours away).
It is at a little hole in the wall called the Stage Coach Cafe in Stockton , Alabama. About 160 mile roundtrip for me , it was fun.
Here are pics of the bikes ( look across the street at the over flow parking)

Cloud Sky Tree Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Automotive tire

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Vehicle

Cloud Wheel Sky Tire Plant

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
327 Posts
I took the Road Star out for a short ride this afternoon. It wasn't happy being woken up after more than a week at these temperatures. The roads are "more or less" cleared at this point in town. Not so much in my driveway. I had to pull out the snow shovel and clear a path from the structure I park it in to the street :thumbsdown:. The 1100 is another matter however. It's not parked in a structure, I just have a cover on it. I got all of the snow off of it, but now it is more blocked it than ever.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,934 Posts
Nice looking ride, how was the chowder?

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,115 Posts
Chowder was good, but cost too much. That little mug was $8.95. Still, I'll go back with the missus and try some of the other menu.

That was a "bowl". I was glad I didn't just get the "cup".

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
3,467 Posts
I decided not to ride today despite having the day off. I am close to digging the bikes out for tomorrow's commute though... (I know I posted this picture in the 'positive thread' but I like it a lot.)
Snow Dog Car Tire Wheel

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
626 Posts
I decided not to ride today despite having the day off. I am close to digging the bikes out for tomorrow's commute though... (I know I posted this picture in the 'positive thread' but I like it a lot.)
View attachment 113322
You're a braver soul than me. After all these years in SE Texas, if I saw that much snow on the ground any notion of going anywhere beyond my yard would NOT be entertained...... and I would be hard pressed to even come up with a good reason to go outside at all....LOL

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,934 Posts
Or your pup is saying hurry, my favorite spot is just right over there and I don't want to drag my belly in the snow. Come on Dad, I gotta go, really bad.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Ms. Elie loves the snow.
Dog Snow Dog breed Carnivore Slope

Just look how she speeds through the snow deeper than herself. Ears laid back in full attack mode as she concurs this hill.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Snow Slope

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
327 Posts
I took the Road Star out this afternoon before the latest round of rain comes in this evening. When I bought it 8 months ago or so, I still had both the 650 and the 1100 (I since sold the 650). At the time, my favorite was still the 1100, even though it needed the most work. Decent power, enough top end and nimble enough to toss it through the twisties. If I was on the highway I was taking the Roadie, but on the backroads it was the 1100. I find myself on the Road Star more often than not, even on backroads. Damn, I like this bike more every single time I throw a leg over it.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I took my Roadstar out this morning to pay bills and run errands, it was 38f in Pensacola, for us that is extreme cold. Thank god we bought 2 new heaters this year before it got cold. Yesterday I was in a tee shirt, it is suppose to be in the 70's by Thursday.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
No ride this morning as the plow service failed to clear my road. Our HOA pays for this service and they failed.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Well poop, I decided to drive to work today as the street was covered in a sheet of ice. Once more the service failed to treat our street. This is day three of no motorcycle rides due to weather.

As I was driving the truck to work, I was listening to the radio and all the car crashes in the area. I was starting to have second thoughts about taking the truck now, as driving seemed to be dangerous. I made it to work ok without slipping much but my reasoning was confirmed that I should have ridden instead. I did not hear of one single bike crash in all of the news this morning. I really dodge a bullet in my truck today as I was at a much greater risk than I would have been on either of the bikes

3821 - 3840 of 3985 Posts