Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
3841 - 3853 of 3853 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
314 Posts
So, I finally got out for a decent sized ride on the 1100 after all the weather that we've had for the last month and a half. Still having some battery issues. It's the first time for a longer ride since the clutch was replaced. I already knew that it was working much better, but WOW! First, NO clunk when I put it into first gear. Acceleration is so much better, I don't take it on the highway much. I usually use the Road Star for that and the 1100 on the backroads. Highway acceleration was amazing and top end was so much better (I only took it up there a couple of times for a short while :p). An all around good time.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,184 Posts
Had a nice ride today. A little cool, no, it was down right cold about 2 hours in. I forgot to pause the Relive app so it shows riding for 13 hours. I actually only rode 8 hours and rest was out at property. I got some video but might be a day or two before I edit, got life stuff to do.

·
13,184 Posts
Here's some raw video of my ride yesterday. Didn't edit much and it's long, 25 minutes. I was thinking some folks can't ride due to weather right now and might want to see a little more of the Texas hill country looks like. The higher terrain is about 30 miles west of my place. The video is me going around the lake from the east, then heading north, then west to then south to my place. Hopefully it's not too boring.

Reactions: bpounds

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
423 Posts
The wife took today (Friday) off from work as a practice run for when she removes herself from the work force completely at the end of the month. Took the opportunity to take a little hop skip and jump to ride to a restaurant we hadn't been to yet. Turned out pretty good. I was also able to combine trips and go to a Harbor Freight near the restaurant to use my 30% off coupon. I wanted to get a 6" bench grinder wire wheel, but I wasn't paying close attention and just grabbed the first wire wheel I saw hanging on a hook labeled with correct item # and the price I was expecting. At the register the price seemed a little too low, but I just blew it off thinking my math skills were deteriorating due to lack of recent use. Should have known better. Got said wheel home and looked a little closer and found it was a 5" brush that will only fit a 5/8" arbor (mine is 1/2"). Should have known I was getting a too good to be true deal. Oh well, back out in the morning and swap at a closer location. I'm pretty sure I will go right by the scavenger hunt target on my way.....kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Friday's lunch and tool run:

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
3,214 Posts
I stayed home yesterday and cleared the snow/slush from around the bikes and my block. The temperature was above freezing all day with bits of sun and wind to help dry the roads.

This morning was a very pleasant ride to work at 34°F. The roads to work were dry with an occasional spot of wet which I avoided easy enough in case they were ice. I know many of you have mentioned you don't ride in the cold at all and a couple have jabbed me about my own riding in temperatures at or below freezing. (Thanks for your concern, I do appreciate it). Any area of the road could be iced over which is the main hazard I suspect; at least that is what seems to be talked about the most.

One hazard of riding after a snow that doesn't get mentioned often on the bike forums is snow atop the cagers on the highways. This morning, I had that premonition to be extra careful about that exact thing. I was in the left lane on Brahma passing a few cars here and there. 4 miles before my left exit off the HOV lanes, a slower car pulls in front of me. At first, I thought I would just slow down and not pass them on their right. But atop their car was a sheet of ice/snow about 2" thick. I indicated to move right to pass them and as I crossed the lane line, the ice blew off the top of the car. It was truly magnificent! The sheet maintained most of its integrity as it took flight with only a couple of small pieces going astray. It flipped once and crashed into the highway with a brilliant shattering of ice right next to my leg.

I may have had a different opinion of the incident had I not moved over before it happened... Watch for flying ice folks...

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,913 Posts
I don't know the details, since I don't live amid snow country, but from what I've read California has rule about not driving with snow on top of a vehicle. I see a lot of posts on FB showing, what the locals refer to as, idiot driving home from Mammoth or June ski resorts with a cap of snow on their car. Great fun, until the CHP stops them.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
423 Posts
Weather is supposed to get rainy tomorrow and then 46/31 Thursday, 46/29 Friday and 54/38 Saturday which is wee bit chilly for me for a joy ride, so I figured I'd enjoy a day out in the mid 60's today before things go bad. Just a ride to nowhere for no reason..... Pay no attention to the 2 pics of the gas pump at the end of the ride as I forgot to strip them out before generating the video and my cheap self won't pay for the premium version of Relive, so no editing allowed for me. Oh well......

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I don't know the details, since I don't live amid snow country, but from what I've read California has rule about not driving with snow on top of a vehicle. I see a lot of posts on FB showing, what the locals refer to as, idiot driving home from Mammoth or June ski resorts with a cap of snow on their car. Great fun, until the CHP stops them.
You are required to remove the snow here in Virginia as well. Many drivers are either ignorant of that or too lazy to do it.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I rode into work today too. 23°F, wind chill 0°F at highway speed: glorious.
Hairstyle Smile Tire Automotive lighting Beard

·
Registered
99 Posts
I rode into work today too. 23°F, wind chill 0°F at highway speed: glorious.
23F! That's -5C in real money, so that's a hard pass from me. It's actually really cold here today at 10C/50F so I think I may break out the full face helmet for the commute today or just do what everyone else does and ride on whichever side of the road the sun is shining...

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,913 Posts
Ortega Highway. Rode this road yesterday. Not a chili pepper was found. But it was a fun ride.

Reactions: lesblank

·
13,184 Posts
Very nicely done! Liked the way you turned the camera when on the freeway.

Reactions: bpounds
3841 - 3853 of 3853 Posts