Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
4081 - 4100 of 4164 Posts

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
810 Posts
I was there before anything opened. I walked to the middle of the Stonehenge and waited for aliens to beam me up. Guess they looked down and figured I wouldn't be a very good specimen cause nothing happened. The head statues are huge and kinda spooky looking. I did pass it and had to do a u-turn, did you go down 39 that day. I like the way it follows the follows the Guadalupe River. Remember, if wife wants to get rid if you for a few days, come on over.
I'm pretty sure we were rode 39 on our way from Leakey to Kerrville, so many pretty roads out that way they kind of all blend together on the first run. We had been out most of the day and the hotel was in Boerne so we jumped on I-10 to get back and took advantage of the 80mph speed limit. Looking back, the Shinko rear tire was in the early stages of tread separation on this ride (slightly symptomatic but didn't figure out exactly what the problem was until much later) and we were running 85+ on the freeway on that sketchy tire, 2 up. I later touched 100 (one up at the time) a few weeks later. Guardian angel (maybe more than one) working overtime......

As soon as the weather relaxes a little I might try to run over there. Boat anchor (MIL) is still problematic, getting to where we can't leave her to her own devices for more than a couple hours. Getting old can be fun, but not so much once you arrive.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I like the 1st bike guy pulling ahead as if to corral the stray cow.....and then the second on the right throws down the brakes after he gets a good look...........LOL
This what happens if you feed your bike Everclear...........

:eek:

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,510 Posts
Thought this recap of yesterday's ride was interesting, wonder what Apple Maps counts as Rapid Acceleration. Hard breaking I agree with.

Ecoregion World Map Font Rectangle

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
The only actual ride I took today was to my physical therapy appt. Just over three miles round trip.

·
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,510 Posts
The video camera really doesn't catch how impressive that cut and view is. Most similar cuts around here are on one side or the other, but very few that pronounced on both sides.

Ecoregion Slope Map Mammal Font

Reactions: kje54

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
The video camera really doesn't catch how impressive that cut and view is. Most similar cuts around here are on one side or the other, but very few that pronounced on both sides.

View attachment 118462
Unfortunately camera stills and video never do the scenery justice. I can take a picture of an awe inspiring scene and it just isn't all that awe inspiring in the shot.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
810 Posts
Unfortunately camera stills and video never do the scenery justice. I can take a picture of an awe inspiring scene and it just isn't all that awe inspiring in the shot.
In my case it must be a technique or talent deficit. I have a nephew who takes the best pictures, whether using his phone or decent DSLR. We can sit next to each and take the exact same shot and his pictures look great and mine don't. I should probably just give him the gear I've gathered up over the years and let him make good use of it. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Hi,
New short ridings with my friend, nice weather, tests of new gear.
I'm waiting some critics/suggestions related at positioning of windows for speed and navigation.
It's interesting how much that looks like Pennsylvania in the lower areas and Virginia/West Virginia in the higher altitude videos.

·
14,510 Posts
Last night I mentioned to Carla if she got up early enough before it got too hot I would take her to breakfast. There are two major things in life that really seem to motivate my wife, food and sleep. She normally does a really good job staying motivated on Sunday mornings by sleeping in. I normally wake up my normal 6am this morning, get up, make some coffee, sitting in my chair reading the forums. I hear the alarm clock go off in the bedroom, I'm thinking crap, she's going to be grumpy. I continue drinking my coffee and a few minutes later I hear her coming down the hall, fully dress with helmet and riding jacket in hand, saying let's go. Wow, caught me off guard. So we head off to breakfast on the trike. We stop and get breakfast at OST, the second oldest restaurant in Texas with great home style cooking.

Sky Building Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Wood Barware Building Art Tableware

So we eat a full breakfast and she says, let's keep riding a bit. We head north to Medina with tree lined roads along the Medina River.

Sky Plant Mountain Ecoregion Natural landscape

Wasn't a long ride, but nice temps with little traffic.

A few ride impressions, I had softened the rear preload some, but still a little stiff. More seat time two up I'll ride the best setting. Carla enjoyed the ride and actually had no negative comments, this is actually major, she's very very opinionated. Her comment that she looking forward to weather cooling and longer rides. This was a very nice first real two up ride on the trike. I was told I couldn't post any pictures of her, as no makeup and helmet hair was the dress code of the morning.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
810 Posts
Finally posting the ride I took Friday for the scavenger hunt. Actually found 3 roads I haven't been on before, so it was nice to see some new asphalt. Nothing out of the ordinary for these parts, but just a slightly different take of an existing theme. I mapped my ride on Google maps then used a online program to convert the Google map to a GPX file for my Garmin, but something got a little lost in translation, so there were a couple of U-turns in there. Oh well, need the practice with those....

·
14,510 Posts
Here's the video from this mornings ride. The dirt road footage coming home I showed first, even though it was actually filmed last. There's been several folks ask how the trike does on the dirt rode. It's extremely secure feeling compared to two wheels, but still rough. You will notice I ride a tad to the left, with left rear wheel close to center most of the time. What I'm finding it due to road crown the trike tracks straight in that path. I can cheat to right and get same results but normally the right side of road has more debris. Other than not leaning in corners the sensation is identical to being on two wheels. After watching at least some of the video, can you really tell I'm on a trike? Not counting leaning in corners?

·
14,510 Posts
It really seems like a rough ride on bumpy roads 😬
It's still rough but the Vulcan is much worst. This road has gotten worst with the past few rains we've had. But the trike is a lot more stable. Even in a car, you can only go about 5 mph. I'll take a rough road with how nice things are coming together on my land.

·
Registered
2006, Yamaha, Royal Star Tour Deluxe
177 Posts
Here's the video from this mornings ride. The dirt road footage coming home I showed first, even though it was actually filmed last. There's been several folks ask how the trike does on the dirt rode. It's extremely secure feeling compared to two wheels, but still rough. You will notice I ride a tad to the left, with left rear wheel close to center most of the time. What I'm finding it due to road crown the trike tracks straight in that path. I can cheat to right and get same results but normally the right side of road has more debris. Other than not leaning in corners the sensation is identical to being on two wheels. After watching at least some of the video, can you really tell I'm on a trike? Not counting leaning in corners?

Yes, already knowing that was filmed on trike, it was difficult to not see the difference, but also the camera could give some hints. The feelings from riding it will never be translated to a camera, no mater what performance could achieve. By the way, at the latest video presented, "12th June, short ridings" from 5.01 to 9.00, I have tested a different setup of the camera, it looks like I was driving a car, but I was riding my bike, it keeps horizon line straight.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,241 Posts
Les, I don't think I would be able to tell you are on 3. I'm sure the helmet camera mount hides the fact. You didn't make any tight turns, it might be more obvious in those. The curves you did ride I could tell you were leaning your body, and the bike wasn't, but some people ride that way anyway, so it isn't an obvious thing.

Nice ride. I could tell that much. And I could see at least one spot on your dirt road that I'm glad it wasn't me riding.

Reactions: lesblank

·
14,510 Posts
Les, I don't think I would be able to tell you are on 3. I'm sure the helmet camera mount hides the fact. You didn't make any tight turns, it might be more obvious in those. The curves you did ride I could tell you were leaning your body, and the bike wasn't, but some people ride that way anyway, so it isn't an obvious thing.

Nice ride. I could tell that much. And I could see at least one spot on your dirt road that I'm glad it wasn't me riding.
I took another ride today solo, some semi spirited corners. I'll post that video in a bit. Just got home cooling down, I stayed out to long, it's 105 now. I also thought of you while out riding, I went by that big cut and filmed the whole thing. As far as dirt road, it's getting rough. In process of working deal with my four closest neighbors to pitch in and work on it. One of the neighbors has a skip steer and all us others only pay for fill and fuel. I was at the point I was really planning my rides on the two wheel bike. On the trike, slow is OK.

Reactions: GARider and bpounds

·
14,510 Posts
This was my ride yesterday. More mountain roads, trying to take advantage of the cooler mountain elevation. And the twisty roads are great fun too.

Nice video, liked the short backwards shot, hopefully your nose didn't get sun burned.

4081 - 4100 of 4164 Posts