Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
4161 - 4180 of 4268 Posts

·
Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
2,148 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention a strange episode on the BMW on my favorite twisty section of road. I tend to use my toes to judge my lean angle, and that has never been a problem before.

Today, though, I leaned so deep that the rubber sole of my Alpinestar not only strafed the tarmac, but grabbed hard enough that the foot was pulled back off the peg and got jammed between the outrigger for the passenger pegs and the road. The lean angle made the outside of the boot dragged, perhaps that was the reason. Or maybe it was the lack of grip between the aluminium peg and the booth. I don't know. But I did take care to pull my boots in further after that, to prevent a repeat of the episode.

Anyway, the combination of power and handling the BMW offer really make swift work of a winding road. Fortunately, I have finally managed to control my urges and do not ride faster than I can see the road to be free. Edging closer to 60, could it be that I am finally beginning to grow up?

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
Started today's ride for the scavenger hunt at 0845 with 82°F temperature (recent typical local morning conditions). Finished today's ride at 1800 with 82°F temperature (late afternoon clouds/rain cooled things to below typical). Had to make a couple of last minute route adjustments to stay out of some showers that popped up, but enjoyed the cloud cover. In between hit 100°F without a cloud in the sky, so plenty of extra radiant heat. Figured I would be going after the target solo today as the wife isn't real crazy about riding in extreme heat or cold, but she surprised me when she opted to come along. After today it may be a while before she wants to do that again, but we made it and survived to tell the tale.

I don't think there is any outstanding GoPro video from this trip to share, but if run across some I'll add it.

The Relive:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Today, I was about to go on my first ride in 4 weeks, due to being away on vacation plus other duties. All dressed up in full leathers, despite a rather warm day, and ready to go. My son and his MT-07 were fine, mine - had a dead battery. Less than 4 volts.

We were supposed to meet my friend and my brother, but instead the latter had to ride to the neighbor town and buy me a new battery. Nearly two hours delayed, we were finally on our way, more or less drenched in sweat.

We changed to route to compensate for the lost time. A slightly strange possy, me leading on the F800, followed by the kid on the MT-07, then my brother on his 1976 Harley Sportster in bright blue with fire-engine red saddlebags, and finally my friend on his Fireblade 954.

I have only ridden one Harley before, a very well used 883 early Evo from cirka 1988. That vibrated less in the footpegs than the XL1000 of my brother, but otherwise they appeared similar in the respect. Seating position was much better on the older XL1000 than the 883, probably due to the higher seat. The 883 made me feel like I was squatting over a low toilet, the 1000 felt more like the first generation Viragos or Shadows. Quite good.

Neither of the two Harleys I have ridden had much power, but the engines are flexible and work well under 3500 rpm. Above 4k, it is vibration time. Both of them had decent suspension performance. Considering the age of my brother's bike, the suspension was amazing. Handling was even better; utter stable, yet incredibly light steering making change of direction completely effortless. My Drag Star 650 Classic, despite its significantly upgraded suspension, would twist and weave if cornered briskly above 55-60 mph on bumpy roads. No such worries on the XL1000.

Cornering clearance is limited,but not dramatically so. The pegs will fold, and the mufflers flex away without trying to raise the wheels off the ground. Riding briskly on winding backroads is exciting and engaging and satisfying - you know you are riding a machine. In comparison, the other 3 bikes leave little impression on their riders.

In fact, I could easily have lived with this Sportster as my only bike, although it would benefit from a firmer seat and definitely a decent front brake - the rear slows the bike with more presto than the front. The clutch took a lot of effort to operate as well, but was easy to modulate, with a broad, smooth engagement. Still, I find my Virago more satisfying; it has loads more power, tons more engine braking effect, runs way smoother, has shaft final drive and significantly stronger brakes. The rest perform on a similar level, just a little different.

I have a few pictures that I will upload later.

·
Registered
2022 FKHR Road King, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special, 2022 Roadking
3,658 Posts
Pretty Pillion and I barely escaped the clutches of a giant Kudzu monster on yesterday's ride. The camera does not truly show how close we came to meeting our maker.
Helmet Sky Motorcycle helmet Automotive lighting Plant

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,869 Posts
Got a nice ride in this afternoon getting two scavenger hunts. Hunt number 1 was tallest building near you, which was the Bandera County Court House. Hunt 2 from another forum was Sasquatch/Big Foot related, yes, an interesting one. Took over 120 miles, but got them both. Took the bike as it had been two weeks since I was on it, the trike has been getting the most use. Yes I remembered to counter steer, yes I remembered to but my feet down, yes I remembered to put kick stand down, yes I still made wide corners like I was on trike. Biggest issue I had was remembering where the turn signal switch was. I had a blast with the smaller bike. My deck building supervisor will be flying in the first week of September and needed to make sure bike was ready for him as we are planning several rides during his stay. Here's the Relive which I paused taking the Hunt 2 pictures and forgot to turn back on. Not sure why I paused it, I normally just let it run.

Reactions: GARider and kje54

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I'm thinking about a trip this fall, basically a loop from home to Durango, CO through Pagosa Springs then back down through Santa Fe to home. I figure with stops for gas, food and rest it should take around 10 hours total. Given that I plan to stay the night in Durango since it's roughly the halfway mark. I'll have to put my tail rack back on and pick up a relatively inexpensive tactical duffel bag, have a 39 liter one already picked out for $26. Of course I'll have to pick out a good jacket just in case. Debating a couple I like, one is leather with a light quilted lining and the other is more "modern" armored Xelement with a zip out liner. While I'm a bit of a traditionalist I'm leaning towards the Xelement one.

Maybe September - October time frame.

·
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,869 Posts
Got another nice ride in today. Needed to go into San Antonio to price some decking supplies. Wife wanted to go and grab some breakfast. We got our belly full and headed out. All was good until we hit rain on way home. Normally she hates riding in rain, but it cooled us down and actually felt good. Did find out that our deck is going to be more than I want to spend.

·
14,869 Posts
I'm sure y'all are getting tired of my rides, but the weather has cooled down some so Carla and I can get out and not melt. Carla woke up and commented she was out of apple butter that she likes on her toast and oatmeal. So I volunteered to go get some. Gotta remember the Apple Orchard is about half way on one of the Twisted Sisters routes. So a few moments later Carla comes walking into the living room with helmet in hand saying she's ready to go. This trike has really influenced her on wanting to ride. The Apple Orchard has a grill known for great burgers so we grabbed some.

Furniture Building Table Interior design Window

So while waiting for burgers I check the scavenger hunt to confirm what it was. Wow, it's now a museum, the motorcycle museum is only about 30 miles away. So after eating our onion rings and burger on soughdough bun we head out.

Food Onion ring Ingredient Staple food Orange

Let me mention that Carla said I must have forgotten she was back there and was about to throw her off on a few curves. The trike doesn't lean and centrifugal force can really push you to outside of curve. So we compromised, only 15 mph over suggested speed in the corners for now until she gets a little more used to trike. Honestly, there are many curves, especially the 10 and 20 mph curves can really can't safely be made much faster. So we get to museum:

Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Plant

Font Document Number

This is a neat place out in the middle no wear.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
14,869 Posts
Lots of early British bikes with a few others. All but two run that are currently being worked on.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Look at this spring loaded alternator/ generator that spins on outside of flywheel.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Carla was getting a little bored so we started heading home. A few pictures looking out front porch of museum.

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Land vehicle

Tire Cloud Wheel Vehicle Sky

I'm sure my friend that's flying in to help on deck build is going to enjoy spending several hours there with me. Here's the Relive video. Have I mentioned lately how much I'm enjoying this retirement thing?

·
14,869 Posts
Just got home from a quick breakfast run with Carla. Stopped for scavenger hunt of a single lane bridge. I've gotten spoiled riding during week, way to many sport bikes out today that haven't learned courtesy to others. We cut our ride short. Remember I'm in the middle of the Texas Hill Country that attracts San Antonio and Austin want to be racers. Years ago I might have joined them, but I normally ride a "stop and smell the roses" pace.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
.......but I normally ride a "stop and smell the roses" pace.

Haha......from post # 4168: "I must have forgotten she was back there and was about to throw her off on a few curves."
I guess one guy's fast is another guy's slow, but methinks you need to work on that "pace" thingy a wee bit more........ 😅
:happyguys: :rofl:

·
14,869 Posts
Funny and point on. Should have said, slower pace with Carla on than when by myself.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Went for a 414 km / 257 mi ride today. Temps between 15 and 23C, or 59 to 74F. Gusty winds from the north. Rode alone, since none I care to ride with were available. You can see the route here: Stavanger to Stavanger

Only I rode it in reverse. Google are really pessimistic - all in all the route took me 5 hrs 55 min exactly. That includes 2 stops to relieve myself and drink some water, and one stop for fuel.

First stop above Feda

Just before, I rode this bit of road, averaging just 96 kph, or just under 60 mph.
Midtbø to Svegeveien 44

That was while keeping a sensible, but brisk pace, covering the piece of road in about 9 minutes. It is summer, so quite a few tourists in motorhomes to slow things down. In addition, there were lots of sand on the road in places, up to inches thick, from a massive rainfall the other day. Those things, in addition to me no longer riding faster than that I can stop within the road I can see to be clear, kept the average speed down. However, the map does not bring justice to the road - this video (not mine) goes in the opposite direction to me, but apart from the final 30 seconds show exactly the route I rode. I think most of you will agree that it is more challenging than what it appears from looking at the google map route indication?

This was taken west of Eiken. Just after this, I was hit by maybe 10 heavy drops of rain, but that was it.

Looking in the direction of Kvinlog

My kind of road, near Liknes

The BMW is a brilliant performer. For the most part. Amazing fuel consumption. Suspension, brakes and comfort are the best of all the bikes I have ridden. Performance wise, only the engine disappoint slightly. It has a couple of slightly rough spots that sometimes numb my right thumb a little. And it doesn't like to run under 2500 rpm under light throttle, surging slightly, and power doesn't really come in until 4500 rpm, better yet 5500. Still, that is nit-picking. It is almost too good, as there is less of an adventure.

·
14,869 Posts
Looks like a nice day. Those roads look great. Got all excited when I saw the YouTube, thinking that you finally shot some video. Then you had to bust my bubble. At least you have trees growing in your rocks. I just have cactus and cedar. Cedar might be a tree, but there are a trash tree.

Reactions: GARider

·
Registered
2008 v star 1300
783 Posts
Rode with a couple friends into the "big smoke" (Toronto ), to see Mike Campbell & the Dirty Knobs of TP & the Heartbreakers fame. Freaking best show in a long time, amazing band ! Get back to the bikes to find jackets and road atlas stolen from luggage bag . :mad: Good thing it stayed pretty warm for the ride out of that sh/+ hole. Would've been a 10/10 experience (but I'm just a dumb ass country boy).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
Out for the scavenger hunt today.....found a half dozen smaller ones until towards the end when I found the big one posted. I noticed my GoPro had stopped recording about 20 minutes before making the find because I had neglected to delete the last ride from the SD card. Glad I caught that when I did because there was no place safe to pull over and grab a picture where I found the dozer.

Included this little ditty of a ditzy cager I ran across on my way home. First, they turned way wide (there are 2 turning lanes at that intersection and they needed the 3rd lane (mine) to make the corner. Then, for reasons only known to crazy people, passed the 18 wheeler on the right when they wanted to enter the freeway ramp on the left..... Can't make this stuff up....

4161 - 4180 of 4268 Posts