Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good thing I am an ATGATT rider, because the extra cushion under the cheeks buys me another 10 minutes in the saddle. I am good for about 40 minutes/30 miles on the stock 1100 seat.

I have made it a point to stand at stop lights, and teeter the bike between my thighs to give my arse a chance to recover a little bit.

A guy at work has a 2005 Road Star V4. It has the Mustang seat package. This is the first aftermarket seat I have ever sat on. I was surprised by two things:

1.) How much more support is built into it (not just a 1" x 1" area on your kiester). I feel support under my legs AND butt.

2.) How firm it was. I hope that is part of buying the rider some more time behind the bars, by relenting slowly over time on a long ride, but maintaining the necessary support.

I would love to try an Ultimate seat…still first on my list…but would like to try a Cobra also.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Changing your underwear will buy you some more saddle time, also. I don't mean to just grab some clean underwear (should go without saying). I mean get some undergarments made to keep the raging river from running down the crack of your arse. Iron Butters all over swear by at least some method to control monkey butt.

The stock seat sucks, but monkey butt can follow you from seat to seat if you're predestined to have that problem.

http://ldcomfort.com/
Underarmor
Anti-Monkey Butt powder
etc.

Just something to mention while at the same time staying out of debating the merits of all the seat options.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I find I'll manage much longer in the saddle, but that is only possible because of an upright sitting stance with hollow back. I have to do that in any case, because of my back problems.

The way I have achieved this on my current ride, XV1900A (Strat/Roadliner), is by adding risers, with a few inches extra of pullback. On my previous ride, XVS1300A (V-Star 1300), I exchanged the standard handlebar for a touring bar, to achieve the same. This also allows me to take up varying riding positions, if I feel like doing so. Prior to adding the extra pullback, I was forced to sit bent forwards, in one postion only, and that generally just kills my back. Now I ride in comfort, and it actually is having a beneficial effect on my back - when in pain, go for a ride, and all will be well again for a few hours up to a few days even.

Having said all this, I would like to get a more comfortable saddle for sure, ideally one which is padded, and which provides space for the tail bone, so it doesn't bear all the weight. I am a bit worried that neither the Ultimate, Mustang, or Corbin saddles provide this however. I'd love to hear if there are other solutions for a saddle providing this kind of extra comfort :).

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wim I have both rider and passenger seats from Ultimate and I ride the v star 1300 as well. I love the Ultimate seat very comfortable and so does the wife compared to stock seats. I can't speak on other brands but if you decide to buy an Ultimate seat or any other aftermarket seat you will not be disappointed. I hated the stock seat very very uncomfortable on long rides the stock seat actually hurt my lower back and my butt used to go numb...not anymore oh did I mention I love my Ultimate seat👍Good luck

·
Registered
522 Posts
Both me and my neighbor have Stratoliners. I have the mustang seat, his came with the ultimate seat.

The mustang is simple, firm, supportive and comfy.

The Ultimate is puffy, fluffy, semi supportive and comfy in a padded way.

The mustang seat also sits you low, probably lower than the factory seat or close to it. The ultimate I would say lifts you over an inch higher or close to it.

My opinion, both have a similar comfort level but the mustang gives you support to keep you placed where you sit.

Oh, the puffyness of his ultimate seat rode up on the gas tank and rubbed the paint dull. Not a big deal maybe but a note worthy comment.

End of the day, you will like either over the stock seat.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Just a couple of words of caution on taking seat advice.....

1.) Make sure to only take the advice of people riding the same bike as you. Every different bike has different ergonomics so seat design changes with every manufacturer.

2.) Understand that everyone's butt is different, so the only way to know for sure before purchase is to sit on one and go for a ride.

To be 100% sure your seat is going to be comfortable, go to a place like Rick's Seats in Washington State (most areas have a place like that, just ask around) and have your seat custom built from the stock pan to fit you. You'll probably pay about the same or just a little bit more than you would to the guys who make the one size fits all seats, but you'll be custom fitted and able to make those 8-10 hour riding days with a smile....and there will be no need to "debate" what seat is the best (which IMO is like asking which song is the best....there is never one answer to suit everyone).

PS......if you are going to buy a "one size fits all" don't leave out the Corbin. Most of my 1100 riding buddies prefer them to the others, or have them reworked slightly for a custom fit.

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
1.) Make sure to only take the advice of people riding the same bike as you.
i disagree. even though one seat's manufacturer may place you in slightly different ergonomic positions depending on which bike model the seat is on, the overall comfort level of that particular seat is not likely to change drastically. to discard other people's observations of their seats simply because they ride on a different model is depriving yourself of a lot of useful opinions in helping you choose the right seat for you.

having said that, i have a mustang wide solo seat and after 800 miles in one day on the saddle, the only part of my body that wasn't aching or fatigued was my butt. that's my endorsement.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i disagree. even though one seat's manufacturer may place you in slightly different ergonomic positions depending on which bike model the seat is on, the overall comfort level of that particular seat is not likely to change drastically. to discard other people's observations of their seats simply because they ride on a different model is depriving yourself of a lot of useful opinions in helping you choose the right seat for you.

having said that, i have a mustang wide solo seat and after 800 miles in one day on the saddle, the only part of my body that wasn't aching or fatigued was my butt. that's my endorsement.
Sorry Bevo I have to disagree with you, the model of bike it is on makes a world of difference. It`s like comparing apples to oranges, I have had many bikes with Mustang seats, most have been the most comfortable riding seat ever. I have the 1300 Tourer and have the Mustang seat on it and it`s terrible, not much above the stock seat IMO. I recommend only the opinions of the model you have.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have to agree with Bevo. I've had this Ultimate seat for a long time now and it has made a huge difference in comfort. I love the seat. I took my buddy's advice and he rides a Roadstar. And he loves the seat too I'm glad I took his advice

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Sorry Bevo I have to disagree with you, the model of bike it is on makes a world of difference. It`s like comparing apples to oranges, I have had many bikes with Mustang seats, most have been the most comfortable riding seat ever. I have the 1300 Tourer and have the Mustang seat on it and it`s terrible, not much above the stock seat IMO. I recommend only the opinions of the model you have.
Most feel the Mustang sucks on the 1100 too...unless you like being pushed into the fuel tank....and raised up a couple inches and it puts too much pressure on your inner thighs. I rode one for about 20 minutes and couldn't get off fast enough. My chip seat with minimal padding was much better.

I guess the real test is to do a couple 8 hours day in the saddle....if you can happily get into the saddle on day 3 for another 8 hours....it's a pretty good fit.

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
Most feel the Mustang sucks on the 1100 too...unless you like being pushed into the fuel tank....and raised up a couple inches and it puts too much pressure on your inner thighs.
guess what, the mustang seat raises you up and pushes you forward a tad on the 950 as well. it's the same basic shape of seat on multiple models, if there is any change at all. have you sat on the same seat on a different model bike to know if there is any difference?

to say someone's opinion of a seat on one model will not transfer to that same seat on a different model is ignorant because you don't know unless you've tried the same seat on different models and can tell any difference. unless we're talking about fitment issues, or if there is proof that a part is any different on different model bikes, or behaves in a different manner, to just negate someone's opinion/personal taste/comfort because they use a part on a different model is bike bigotry.

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
I have had many bikes with Mustang seats, most have been the most comfortable riding seat ever. I have the 1300 Tourer and have the Mustang seat on it and it`s terrible, not much above the stock seat IMO. I recommend only the opinions of the model you have.
i have read of plenty of 1300 owners on forums who like the various mustang seats. do you use the same model mustang seat on each of these bikes you've owned? were these seats/bikes owner over the courses of several different time periods? they make several different types. and the company may have changed their seats over the course of time. i've sat on a 1300 and the stock seat doesn't feel all that different than the stock seat on my 950, which was horrible. i can't imagine my wide solo mustang seat feeling horrible on the 1300 when it feels so wonderful on my 950.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Biker Mike - on an unrelated note, since you own basically the same 1100 that I do, and a 1300 Tourer, can you tell me what the differences are between the two? I guess what I am asking is how much better is the 1300 Tourer vs. the 1100?

I see myself going to a Victory CC or Gold Wing F6B in a few years, but do not want to turn my back on a 1300 Tourer / Deluxe if it is comparable. After all, any 1300 is going to be thousands cheaper than a F6B or Cross Country.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I am not BikerMike, but hey, I can answer your question, up to a degree anyway :).

It is a bit heavier, but it also handles (steers) better, so not really noticeable. Water-cooled, more power and torque, belt drive rather than shaft drive. It has fuel injection rather than a carburettor, so starts easily, no choke required.

Overall it just rides better at the speeds where the 1100 gives up, i.e., at highway speeds, and obviously is a little faster and easier going overall.

Personally, I preferred it over the 1100, but I only made a few test rides with the 1100. I rode the 1300 for 9 months, essentially until I had tried out a 1900 (Strat/Roadliner) :).

It has a relatively large fuel capacity, and I used to do 300 km on a tank (190 miles), before it wanted me to fill up.

In short, where the 1100 becomes a little anemic, the 1300 still has a lot of reserve. And it rides fabulously. Nothing wrong with the 1100 - give it to me anyday over, e.g., the Honda equivalent, but the 1300 is just that little bit nicer and a bit more powerful :).

You can't really compare it with a Victory CC, and especially not an F6B, those are much heavier bikes. However, I think from a handling POV it beats both. In a way, a 1300 is a sporty cruiser, if you could say that, where the other two are designed more for long straights. especially the F6B :).

Having said all this, if you are looking at the Victory CC and F6B, you should maybe also look at the Stratoliner/Roadliner.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
609 Posts
Most feel the Mustang sucks on the 1100 too...unless you like being pushed into the fuel tank....and raised up a couple inches and it puts too much pressure on your inner thighs. I rode one for about 20 minutes and couldn't get off fast enough. My chip seat with minimal padding was much better.

I guess the real test is to do a couple 8 hours day in the saddle....if you can happily get into the saddle on day 3 for another 8 hours....it's a pretty good fit.
I love my Mustang seat on my 1100. Don't feel pushed into the tank or too much inner thigh pressure at all.

Goes to the common theme here: to each their own. Mick's seat that "sucks" is just great for me - on the exact same model bike. And I'm sure we're both "right".

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am not BikerMike, but hey, I can answer your question, up to a degree anyway :).

It is a bit heavier, but it also handles (steers) better, so not really noticeable. Water-cooled, more power and torque, belt drive rather than shaft drive. It has fuel injection rather than a carburettor, so starts easily, no choke required.

Overall it just rides better at the speeds where the 1100 gives up, i.e., at highway speeds, and obviously is a little faster and easier going overall.

Personally, I preferred it over the 1100, but I only made a few test rides with the 1100. I rode the 1300 for 9 months, essentially until I had tried out a 1900 (Strat/Roadliner) :).

It has a relatively large fuel capacity, and I used to do 300 km on a tank (190 miles), before it wanted me to fill up.

In short, where the 1100 becomes a little anemic, the 1300 still has a lot of reserve. And it rides fabulously. Nothing wrong with the 1100 - give it to me anyday over, e.g., the Honda equivalent, but the 1300 is just that little bit nicer and a bit more powerful :).

You can't really compare it with a Victory CC, and especially not an F6B, those are much heavier bikes. However, I think from a handling POV it beats both. In a way, a 1300 is a sporty cruiser, if you could say that, where the other two are designed more for long straights. especially the F6B :).

Having said all this, if you are looking at the Victory CC and F6B, you should maybe also look at the Stratoliner/Roadliner.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
I studiously avoid interstate-type driving. I'm much more a leisure/recreational rider (e.g. I don't commute on the bike), and I stick to almost exclusively to back/windy roads where 50-55mph is about the top end.

Point of that is I love my 1100 and am totally happy with it. And I do ride at highway speeds (65-75mph for me) at times without problem/annoyance. But that's typically just a few miles "shortcut" to the next windy road... If I were doing more 65mph+ type driving, I can see where it would 'top out' and a 1300 would be more pleasing then.

FWIW, I'm not even sure it's about power so much as gearing: Yes, these yamaha v-twins aren't known for extracting the most HP per cc - but had they thrown a 6th gear on the 1100, or even spread the ratios a little wider for more top-end, I think the 1100 engine would be just fine at 80-85, etc... As it stands, I just don't go over about 75 no matter what.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I studiously avoid interstate-type driving. I'm much more a leisure/recreational rider (e.g. I don't commute on the bike), and I stick to almost exclusively to back/windy roads where 50-55mph is about the top end.

Point of that is I love my 1100 and am totally happy with it. And I do ride at highway speeds (65-75mph for me) at times without problem/annoyance. But that's typically just a few miles "shortcut" to the next windy road... If I were doing more 65mph+ type driving, I can see where it would 'top out' and a 1300 would be more pleasing then.

FWIW, I'm not even sure it's about power so much as gearing: Yes, these yamaha v-twins aren't known for extracting the most HP per cc - but had they thrown a 6th gear on the 1100, or even spread the ratios a little wider for more top-end, I think the 1100 engine would be just fine at 80-85, etc... As it stands, I just don't go over about 75 no matter what.
:D

The 1300 is really good at winding roads, and at highway cruising as well - I do both actually. For leisure I ride around in my local area, with Belgium and Germany very close nearby as well; lots of winding and undulating roads, even hairpins, which is great fun, and highway riding mostly for work related travel. Top speeds on highways are between 100 kph/62.5 mph and 130 kph/81 mph, often depending on the time of day, or the speciic stretch of highway.

Over here it is normal and accepted for motorbikes to ride faster by about 10 kph/6 mph then is officially allowed, essentially to make it easier to escape potentialy threatening situations.

On empty highways I have been known to do 160 kph/100 mph or even more with the 1300 :), and also for overtaking. It does so with ease.

What is really neat, however, is how well it handles in bends. No falling into bends, no hard work going around curves, it feels like a bike with a much shorter rake and angle than i tactually is. Th emore I rode it, the more I got impressed with it.

Until, that is, I rode a 1900 :). Still impressed, but the 1900 has even more grunt, and with minor adaptations, which are very personal, it rides just as well, although funnily enough I do ride it more calmly than the 1300.

The 1300 I fitted with a touring bar for better reach (relatively short here, about 5 ft 5", and progressive fork springs, after I found I bottomed out on a rather bad Belgian road ("micro-undulations" as I like to call it :)). This had two effects: even better steering and handling, and no more bottoming out :).

When I got the 1900 2 1/2 week sago, I had more or less the same things done to it: risers with a bit of pullback, and progressive springs mounted. Makes all the difference, for me anyway :).

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now that I have successfully managed to hijack my own thread, let me explain my situation.

I ride about 4-5,000 miles per year.

I would say about 40% of that total comes from commuting. I am not a diehard; I ride when the weather cooperates, even sometimes not even then. My round-trip commute is about 80 miles per day. This commute involves riding from the rural-suburbs to a rural area. My typical route involves a mixture of 45-55 mph posted state and county highways, and a few town roads with some curves and hills. It actually is a pleasant commute, which makes its duration (~48 minutes) tolerable and even enjoyable at times. I will often take my computer and briefcase with me, so good, weather-proof storage is a must.

I take a few trips in the Finger Lakes, and visit some friends around the state once or twice per year.

Anyway, I rarely take curves fast enough to scrape the boards on my 1100 ( I think I have done that twice in the 4000 miles I have put on this one). Therefore, carving up the curves is not a priority for me. As for speed, I like the pull of the 1100 up to 60, and as any 1100 owner knows, that's about the best it has to offer in terms of performance. I typically shift gears at 3000 rpm or less and end up topping 50 mpg often.

I like the F6B. It has cool looks, great power, cruise, stereo/iPod connection, wind protection and PLENTY of storage.

I do not really care about the weight, since, as mentioned, I don't throw a bike around anyway.

What the F6B does not have is ABS, which sucks. I like the linked brakes though.

The Victory CC is a nice bike too, and has ABS. I would prefer the flat 6 of the Honda over the Vtwin 1600 in the Polaris, however.

I want to have a nice, relaxed, comfortable (<--VERY IMPORTANT) touring type bike with good looks.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
guess what, the mustang seat raises you up and pushes you forward a tad on the 950 as well. it's the same basic shape of seat on multiple models, if there is any change at all. have you sat on the same seat on a different model bike to know if there is any difference?

to say someone's opinion of a seat on one model will not transfer to that same seat on a different model is ignorant because you don't know unless you've tried the same seat on different models and can tell any difference. unless we're talking about fitment issues, or if there is proof that a part is any different on different model bikes, or behaves in a different manner, to just negate someone's opinion/personal taste/comfort because they use a part on a different model is bike bigotry.
LMAO.....I'm ignorant Bevo..... I've tried them on Harley's and Vics and they were pretty good.....They totally suck on an 1100 for me...a few riders kept them, but most I've seen buy them over the past 10 years have moved on to a different seat. How many hours do you have in a Mustang saddle on an 1100 to offer such incredibly accurate advice? Probably zero.... and I'm ignorant? LOL.....

To the original poster...if you really would like some unbiased advice from many people who have actually used a Mustang seat on their V Star 1100 for a duration of time....I'd invite you to come to the V Star 1100 Riders Forum on Delphi (Home of the V Star 1100 wKB) to get info from the guys who have ridden all the different seats over the last 10-15 years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts