Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Interesting, I've owned a half a dozen new bikes and have always broken them in traditionally and have never had an issue. I don't think I'll test it on my next bike though.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I've owned a half a dozen new bikes and have always broken them in traditionally and have never had an issue. I don't think I'll test it on my next bike though.
I think most people break it in according to recommendation. I know I did, yet I’ve heard people who’ve said to break it in like you intend on riding it. There’s something scary sounding to that but apparently the actual data regarding either method should dispel any fears.
For me, I’ll still break it in normal, but if during break in something happened where I needed to really romp in it to get somewhere or out of a situation I’d no longer be afraid I was going to damage it.

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
On my race motors, flat tappet cam, 20 minutes at 2000 rpm, then drive it like you stole it. On roller lifter motors, start it, nothing leaking?, drive it like you stole it. Been doing it for years and never had an internal engine issue that was not my own doing, over rev engine, etc. Everyone has their own way of break-in and that's their choice.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
forget breaking in. i wanna see the firework that messed up that guy's face. been following him for a while.
As someone who deals with pyrotechnics and prior explosives in the military, I garrauntee it was something stupid. Either he was foolishly playing around OR he placed his face over the tube of un-ignited (or what he thought was such)”dud” mortar.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've been reading about the pros and cons of different break in methods for almost 40 years and in that time I've seen the results of breaking in a motor per manufacturer's recommendations and just riding the bike hard (not to be confused with abusing it) and both methods work so IMO just do what feels best. I personally don't baby my motors or handle them with kid gloves for a 'break-in period', I just ride the bike, do the appropriate maintenance rituals and use the recommended oil viscosities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts