Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
love the paint scheme
Thanks!

I'm trying to ID the Air-Filter... Doesn't seem to be the one being sold as for this model.
Anyone have any knowledge about it?

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
^ if you cant find a name on the intake pod etched into it
take the cover off, the filter element will have a name and number on it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems its a silverado specific part, but it's on there...

Mine is an 1999 XV16AL-L according to the Yamaha Recall Page.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
I think the 650 and 1100 bikes all came with the chome dog bowl air filters, including the Silverado models

that may be a Yamaha aftermarket upgrade

if you google tear drop vstar pods you might be able to find a photo that looks the same

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yes the bag is on the pipe the last two bikes I’ve bought had the same issue that’s why I don’t buy the throw over bags. Mine are all on brackets and will always be that way as i had to toss out both sets of bags because they were melting to the exhaust.

·
2,742 Posts
I had a set of throw overs on my 1100. There were leather laces and several adjustment holes where it goes over the fender that you could untie and pull closer together or further apart to get the bags hanging right.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Back in the ancient past ( 70's and 80's ) I used to use horse saddlebags. You just cut the back strap and lace it back together and cover it with the back seat.

JonMaz I see you live in Okaloosa County, I live in Escambia near Davis and I-10 , by the Coke Plant. When they get over this Corona stuff we need to get together and ride. I ride in your area a bunch, I ride up to Baker and hit Taco Town.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had a set of throw overs on my 1100. There were leather laces and several adjustment holes where it goes over the fender that you could untie and pull closer together or further apart to get the bags hanging right.
As the prices have come to almost being the same for either style I’d much rather have the ones with the bracket they seem to work great and don’t scratch the paint on my fenders.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
From the picture you have a road star ...

DOH! I saw 650 in his tag line and was not paying attention

cannot miss those pushrod tubes on the Road Star

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
You can always cut and punch your own holes and string them to work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DOH! I saw 650 in his tag line and was not paying attention

cannot miss those pushrod tubes on the Road Star
Been busy picking out a few new parts to be added soon and I JUST found the box filled with 2gal of 20/50 and filter... Plugs should get here soon...

I don't want to ruin the enjoyment of updating my tag line hurrying.

Godda change the oil and order them new shoes. Been reading a lot around here and think its gonna be a MCII set, but we will see....

Thanks to everyone and I think I need a better solution for saddlebags; but again, we will see.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
I dont get saddlebags

what are we, cowboys riding for the pony express?

I had throw overs on my 650 when I first got it - what a pain to play with the straps to open and close them

I ended up putting a trunk on the 650

Ursa came with leather bags, but I never put them on the bike unless I absolutely need to carry something

from my experience a trunk that doubles as a drivers backrest is the best solution

you push the button and it opens
you push the lid down and it clicks shut
like... like a trunk!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts