Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help here. Michelin or Metzler ? Not thrilled with the Dunlops, so I want to try something else, anyone with experience with either, share your thoughts and please, just these 2, don't want to hear about Korean crap tires. Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use to ride a Suzuki and it came with Dunlop tires, when it was time to change I went to the Metzlers after riding them for the first time I was amazed at the difference it made. The ride was smoother, the grip on the rode was so much better, I felt like I had more control in curves with them, I said I would never use anything else. Since then I have bought my Vstar 950 and it has the dunlop tires, I will use the Metzlers for sure. I do also want to research a little more because I was told that Metzlers was bought out by a company in Austria .

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Need a little help here. Michelin or Metzler ? Not thrilled with the Dunlops, so I want to try something else, anyone with experience with either, share your thoughts and please, just these 2, don't want to hear about Korean crap tires. Thanks
Well now, this one is like many times before, this rates right up there with best oil, best anything. Must comment and throw in his 2 cents (Sugar Bear is bad to do that:rolleyes:)

I flat out love Metz, by far the best set I ever run, and I have run for a day or two:D But, all riders have their favorites and what works for each rider, therefore, there are many brands that folks swear by:) NONE are "THE BEST" Find a set you like and stick with them. There, you got a comment:D

Ride Safe, Live Long:cool:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ok, started with Dunlaps from the factory, wear 10,000 ride was tolerable. Went to Metzlers, ride for the first 500 miles was touchy like riding on marbles but it could have just been me, wear 14,000 miles. Trying the Michelin Commander II right now with 9,000 miles on it and still going strong. Looking at the new Metzler tires ME888 that are supposed to get 50% more wear than their previous tires. For the price the Michelin tires are less expensive and I haven't worn it completely out yet so I cannot tell you how much wear.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I forgot to tell you that I also started putting Nitrogen in my tires and I went from getting 10 to 12 thousand miles on rear tires to getting 23000 miles on rear tire and 27000 on front tire. I know everyone has opinion about Nitrogen but this is my experience.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I forgot to tell you that I also started putting Nitrogen in my tires and I went from getting 10 to 12 thousand miles on rear tires to getting 23000 miles on rear tire and 27000 on front tire. I know everyone has opinion about Nitrogen but this is my experience.

That would definitely be worth looking into, after all it would make the new Metzelers go up to 40,000. A motorcycle tyre that lasts as long as a car tire.:eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to try the Michelin this time around, seems as tho I really can't go wrong with either

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, and elsewhere I posted Michelin had the same praise, so this time I will try the Commanders and if I still have the bike, the Metz 888s will get a shot after reviews are more plentiful... heard too many posts about "marbles" when the Metz gets wet

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have the Pirelli MT66 on the rear - must have been replaced shortly before I bought the bike and it seems pretty good, def well reviewed on the web. I'll be looking to replace the front with the match come warmer weather

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the Pirelli MT66 on the rear - must have been replaced shortly before I bought the bike and it seems pretty good, def well reviewed on the web. I'll be looking to replace the front with the match come warmer weather

I like them cause for most of the reviews they have a good grip even in the rain which is a must in Florida with our unexpected rain.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I've only experienced the "marbles" getting caught in the rain on a brand new Metz rear. After scuffing it up nicely no more "marbles". But yes some tread patterns, more so than the rubber compound, deal with swamped roads better than others. In that department Pirellis and Bridgestones get high marks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've only experienced the "marbles" getting caught in the rain on a brand new Metz rear. After scuffing it up nicely no more "marbles". But yes some tread patterns, more so than the rubber compound, deal with swamped roads better than others. In that department Pirellis and Bridgestones get high marks.
i live in the "Rain when it wants to with the sun shining bright" state

·
Registered
794 Posts
I bought a Michelin because the guy I get parts from said it wears comparable to the Metz and it was about $50 cheaper..... So far VERY happy with it - no issues at all wearing it in and a much more grounded ride than the stock Dunlop.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Let us know how many miles you get on it too. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a happy history with Metzler. I also believe in balance beads for the best ride, and longest tire wear. They add nearly 50% more miles to my tire life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK my .02 worth. Rolled out the Road Star about a week ago and knowing that new tires would happen this riding season I had them already to go on the bike. I was thinking that those Metz 880s would take me into the riding season. It aint goin to happen. Looking at those Metz tires I don't know how I made it through last season. 7000 miles and the cords are coming through. I don't ride hard, check air every ride, dyna beads, nitrogen filled and they are shot. Smooth ride and they stick like you wouldn't believe, but I'll be moving on to something else.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts